C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 Battery & Hood ?s (long story)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 12:38 AM
Movin' Up
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 Battery & Hood ?s (long story)

Hey gang,

I just got my '07 C6, auto, z51 last week (first Vette). I don't want to bad mouth anyone, so I won't mention any details except only for the questions that I have. Due to my current duty station (military), I had to order one since the closest dealer is at least 2.5 hours away.
It's an '07, but w/ built date of July of '06. With only 37 miles on the odometer, it came off the flat bed w/ a dead battery. After calling the salesperson, did a quick jump start, and we got the vehicle off the flat bed. 2 days later (waited due to paperwork issues), I tried again, but NO go. Again car was jumped, then we took it to a dealer (150+ miles away), but service shop was closed for the day. Called the salesperson again and got the "OK" to have it replaced at Sears. And after $135 later... I'm concerned.
So, this is where my question starts. They put in a DieHard International battery (only one that fit the C6) w/ some type of an acid overflow valve. I'm not familiar w/ this at all. The mechanic sounded like he knew what he as talking about, and told me to go to a local home depot and get an hose that fits the adaptor off the battery and feed the line to the bottom of the car and stay away from the heat of the engine. So, I did, and now the overflow hose comes out behind the front passenger wheel.
He then showed me the OEM battery and it was bulged out on the sides and was still hot (45-min after removed from car). And, said that the design of the location was really poor, and stated that the Z06 w/ batteries in the rear was a much better design because it keeps it cooler. He said my OEM battery was either overheated or overcharged.

So, my questions are... 1. What is the acid overflow valve. 2. How and what triggers the acid to overflow. 3. If the acid does come out, will it damage anything underneath? 4. Is this type of battery better for our cars? 5. Should I just go back to a dealer and have them put in an new OEM battery? 6. Anyone else having "overheated" battery issues? It has a 3-year warranty, so if all the acid leaks out, I can replace it for free...

Another question is when I close the hood after working on the battery thing, the hood catches the passenger wiper blade arm. The underside dent doesn't show, but it's bothering me. 1. Is this normal? 2. Anything I can do to fix it? 3. Is it a factory defect?

I never realized this much headache would be involved for a new Vette (delayed paperwork leading to delayed registeration...), that if I knew in advance, I would've passed and just gotten a BMW 335i because at least their service is top notch compared to what I'm going through.

Sorry, I just had to vent.
If anyone can answer these questions, thanks in advance.

LT
Old 03-20-2007, 01:03 AM
TK6
Advanced

Sorry to hear about your problem. I'm pretty sure the hose on the new "International" battery is just a "vent" hose. I have a 96 M3, (battery is located in the trunk of the car) and it requires a vent hose. I was told that because the battery is located in the trunk (inside the car, basically) the hose vents any dangerous outgassing to the exterior of the car. I don't think it matters if the battery is under the hood of your Vette because the gasses are already outside the car.

I don't have my own Vette yet, so I can't comment on the C6 battery.

Last edited by TK6; 03-20-2007 at 01:08 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Snagle
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the battery dies and the car is under warranty, a dealer will replace the battery with an OEM unit at no charge. I just had this done to my Volkswagen Jetta right before I got my Vette. You should be able to do the same.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:46 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In general a C6 (or a C5 for that matter) will kill a good battery in 4 - 6 weeks if not driven and or on a trickle charge. It would be better to disconnect the battery than to leave it connected for a long period without being driven or charged.

In your case your new car has been sitting for 7 or 8 months, I am going to guess the dealer left the battery connected and likely on more than one occassion someone (a not too well informed GM mechanic most likely) put your car/battery on some huge battery charger at full tilt and literally cooked your original battery, it is now toast as you have been told.

As for the replacement battery, I would have asked for a GM replacement but many members swear by the Optima brand, what you actually got...I am not sure of though. Myself I would get a new battery from the dealer if I could.

The wiper should not catch on the hood, could be a simple adjustment, can't say for sure without seeing it in person.

I understand that a 2-1/2 drive to see a dealer is not very good, maybe you can find a good mechanic closer to you to get their opinion. Where are you located?

Good luck, I'm sure after getting these issues sorted out you will love your Vette, so far I think your troubles are more of doing business witha poor dealership.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

So, my questions are... 1. What is the acid overflow valve. 2. How and what triggers the acid to overflow. 3. If the acid does come out, will it damage anything underneath? 4. Is this type of battery better for our cars? 5. Should I just go back to a dealer and have them put in an new OEM battery? 6. Anyone else having "overheated" battery issues? It has a 3-year warranty, so if all the acid leaks out, I can replace it for free...

Another question is when I close the hood after working on the battery thing, the hood catches the passenger wiper blade arm. The underside dent doesn't show, but it's bothering me. 1. Is this normal? 2. Anything I can do to fix it? 3. Is it a factory defect?
Never heard of an acid overflow valve, but that doesn't mean much. I have heard of a vent line when the battery is inside the car. If acid does run down the line and drips or sprays on the car, it will do damage, but probably less than if you had no line at all. It's probably ok, but if it were me, I'd have an OEM battery put in under warranty. Never heard or anyone else having overheated battery issues, but some have reported having bad batteries from the factory, and somebody overcharging it is certainly possible since it was built in July '06.

The wiper blade arm should not rub on the underside of the hood, this is not normal. Perhaps someone has bent the arm up, or changed the OEM blade to one that stands taller off the glass? If so, easy fix. I'd go look at a new vette and compare your arm and blade to one on a new car.

Good luck.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:03 PM
Sven
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Dealer owes you a new battery. And given distance, they should arrange delivery to you.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:17 PM
hayseed51
Racer

I think Miaugi nailed your battery problem. Regular automotive batteries just can't take very many deep discharges without failure. And I'll bet he's right about some lot rat overcharging and cooking your battery. I do like Optima batteries, but in your situation, you might be better off to just get GM to replace it.

If you are on active duty and there will be periods when the car isn't run, you'll need to either disconnect the battery or get a good tender. There have been a lot of threads here about short and long term storage.

Don't let this get you down. They are great cars, and well worth some extra attention.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:06 PM
Movin' Up
Instructor

Thanks guys (TK6, Snagle, Miaugi, Indy-hp, Sven, hayseed51) for all your great feedback and input, and I do feel much better w/ all your support. Thanks again. I still can't believe I own one of these great machines, but my first month's experience hasn't been a good one. It'll get better though.
I'll be in Dallas next week, so I'll go to a local dealer there and check things out regarding possible battery replacement and my wiper blade issue.

Thanks, v/r,

LT (BTW I got the Z-51, Auto, w/ Comp Grey Wheels, and love the way it looks and feels)
Old 03-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That SOB selling dealer owes you a new battery. I'd consider that aftermarket battery temporary and demand your selling dealer arrange for an OEM Delco replacement.

They probably let the car sit all that time with a dead battery, which ruined it. They owe you a new one, you shouldn't have to mess with tying to patch in an aftermarket battery. The other issue results if anything else electrical goes wrong and you go to another GM dealer for a warranty repair, they are going to say we can't cover this aftermarket battery.

I'd call this dealer find out how they plan to rectify getting an OEM battery in there, also they need to look up the dead battery bulletin and see if your vehicle needs the updated PCM programming to prevent future dead batteries.

Those SOB's probably just jump started it and threw it on a flat bed, **** poor customer service for the purchase of such an expensive car.

By the way, the location of the battery is fine. The Z06 is in the back because the oil tank took the space. Millions of cars (including vettes exc C6Z'z) put the battery under the hood without problem.
Yours was hot and bulging, because it was ruined from the lengthy dead time. Then when recharging a ruined battery it just get's worse and hot. Nothing to do with the location, just you can't get a good recharge on a ruined battery.

Last edited by Michrider; 03-21-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:55 AM
ORANGEC6VERT
Racer

I agree, you need to get an OEM battery installed. If you don't, any problem you have down the road will become a nightmare in regards to GM warranty.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:51 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Michrider
Yours was hot and bulging, because it was ruined from the lengthy dead time. Then when recharging a ruined battery it just get's worse and hot. Nothing to do with the location, just you can't get a good recharge on a ruined battery.
Right. A sulphated battery has high internal resistance, so it gets hot when the car tries to bring it up to full charge.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:19 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The bulging in the sides of the battery was due to freezing, not to overheating. When a discharged battery is left in subfreezing temperatures, the reduced specific gravity of the electrolyte allows it to freeze and expand causing the case to bulge. This damage was caused before the overheating, and most likely happened earlier in storage.

The battery may have been hot, but that was a separate problem...it was probably due to overcharging a freeze damaged battery. If a battery is overcharged, it will boil the acid out onto the top of the case, and this may be why your Sears guy thinks you need a "acid overflow valve". Overcharging usually results when the charging device is faulty and does not reduce the charging rate as the battery charged. Back in the old days, it meant your voltage regulator was history. Since charging rate control is now built into the alternator, and you apparently aren't getting any malfunction codes, I suspect something external to the car. Improper charging with a manual charger could also cause this problem.

Acid overflow valve...Yeah, right. I'm surprised these slick dudes can still survive in an enlightened world. Take this car back to the selling dealer and make him give you a new Delco battery under warranty and fix your hood if it's not right. You'll probably be out the Die Hard money.

Get notified of new replies

To '07 Battery & Hood ?s (long story)

Quick Reply: '07 Battery & Hood ?s (long story)