C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lesson learned when installing a short shifter!!>

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 10:01 AM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Lesson learned when installing a short shifter!!>

About year and half ago I installed the B&M SS...I really liked the improvement in feel and it did not rattle (seems to be a common issue now...rattle). I did find doing the install tedious and stressful since I was 'way over the top' concerned about removing the center console assembly and scratching it...

Well...about couple months ago the shifter started getting a rattle even under light acceleration and then about week ago could not get the tranny into any gear where the shifter had to be in the down (pulling towards you such as shifting into 2nd, 4th etc)... oh crap. So I took the shifter boot up and moved the layers of insulation and rubber seals back and saw the whole shifter assembly was sliding back and forth when I moved the shifter...also while taking off the shifter saw that the shift **** retention screw has worked its way 2/3 out.

Now the lesson learned... I will have to now remove the center console (angst already building) so access the two torx screws that are loose..I have marked them in this pic (which I took as a DIY series when I first installed the B&M shifter)

Just to clarify...the four screws holding the B&M shifter in place are tight...it is the OEM torx screws that came loose. Even though I tighten the screws noted and the shift **** screw quite FIRMLY the constant vibration from the tranny caused them to loosen... Therefor the lesson learned is use Lock Tite (blue) when doing this work...dummy me for not using from the get go. I was able to get to the rear torx screw to tighten temporarily (no Lock Tite) and of course tightened the shift **** screw...no more rattle... need to remove center console to get to the front torx screw.
Michael

Last edited by C6FirstVette; 03-31-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:10 AM
Dans 98 corvette
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

had my b&m installed yesterday, no problems yet feels good. but thanks for the information
Old 03-31-2007, 02:08 PM
BlackMark
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a B&M waiting to go in.Thanks for the info!
Old 03-31-2007, 02:55 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Good information. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Lesson learned when installing a short shifter!!>

Quick Reply: Lesson learned when installing a short shifter!!>