C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is How 1030 HP look like.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 02:54 AM
Mystical Musician
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AFR VETTE

2500+ hp

Everyones Cars look great!
What do you do for a living, and are they/you hiring?
Old 04-21-2007, 03:50 AM
misteroman
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I remember that pic from awhile back on the internet.If I remember correctly some kid posted it up somewhere and then did the trouble ensue.Pretty sure it was on here though.
Derek
Old 04-21-2007, 09:27 AM
BADC64GO
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Nice stable.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:51 AM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Dlinderman
The only thing the SS has on the SRT8 is a tow hitch, which the SRT8 makes up for with to BAD A** looking tail pipes in the center.
I can tow my track car with my SS.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Big Top Gt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Sorry, just not that impressed with the SS blazer.

I was down to the SS and the Jeep SRT8, and couldn't justify the Chevy loyalty to comprimise getting the inferior SUV.

I got a black jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 as my winter and "daily driver" and it is an amzazing vehicle with incredible torque, not to mention more leg room and "creature comforts" head and shoulders above the SS.

The only thing the SS has on the SRT8 is a tow hitch, which the SRT8 makes up for with to BAD A** looking tail pipes in the center.

Not only would i confidently say the SRT8 would ROAST the SS, i think it might even beat a stock vette 0-60. This thing throws me back in my seat so hard WOT is is amazing.

I have taken "car friends" out in it, and they have laughed their A** off at how fast this thing is.

Sorry...I am sad to say all this, because I REALLY wanted to like the SS better.

I don't understand anything you're saying here. In fact, this could be the first time in human history someone praised Chrysler for having a "great" interior.

I can't see how it's better than the TB/SS at all. They're both the same generic plastic setup.

Also, speaking from a strict power to weight standpoint, how is it you're calculating a 420 hp, 4800 pound SUV is faster than a 400 hp 3200 pound car?

Going even further than that, how are you coming to the calculating the 395 HP, 4500 pound TBSS is so much slower than a 420 hp, 4800 pound SRT8 Cherokee?

None of the math lines up.

The Cherokee has no towing capacity to the TB's 6500 pounds, the Srt has a payload capacity of 1000 where the TBSS is 1500.

Here's the killer, for me: 19 mpg highway in the SS vs. 15 in the SRT.

That's about a 100 mile difference per tank from one to the other.

Then there's the 10000 difference in sticker price PLUS the dealer gouging.

It sounds to me like you ran into a sales person who knew what ego button to push. Is a center exhaust really worth an extra few thousand bucks?

Motor Trend shows the following info:

Trail Blazer SS
14.2 sec @ 98.0 mph

SRT-8
13.5 sec @ 101.6 mph

The numbers simply don't add up.

Doing the calculation based on weight and HP you get 13.1's for both.

That seems like a driver's race to me...
Old 04-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Juniorss
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Top Gt
Motor Trend shows the following info:

Trail Blazer SS
14.2 sec @ 98.0 mph

SRT-8
13.5 sec @ 101.6 mph

The numbers simply don't add up.

Doing the calculation based on weight and HP you get 13.1's for both.

That seems like a driver's race to me...
The SRT8s are faster. I think they are underrated to begin with and they are usually in the mid to low 13's. The TBSS run high 13's with AWD.

But the difference was $10k when my old man bought his TBSS. And for 10k thats a big difference. I saw a few people with an intake/tune/ underdrive pulley/ electric fans running 13.0 with an AWD TBSS. You figure that maybe cost him $2k installed by someone else and its just as fast as a SRT8. PLus there is a lot bigger aftermarket for the TBSS.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:12 PM
rjr2007
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 04-21-2007, 09:03 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Juniorss
The SRT8s are faster. I think they are underrated to begin with and they are usually in the mid to low 13's. The TBSS run high 13's with AWD.

But the difference was $10k when my old man bought his TBSS. And for 10k thats a big difference. I saw a few people with an intake/tune/ underdrive pulley/ electric fans running 13.0 with an AWD TBSS. You figure that maybe cost him $2k installed by someone else and its just as fast as a SRT8. PLus there is a lot bigger aftermarket for the TBSS.
Yes the SRT-8 does 0-60 in 4.5 Vette does it in 4.2?
I get a avg of about 15 city/hwy and 17-19 HWY
From what I've read the TBSS in real life does about the same

Drivers race? It's a AUTOMATIC 4WD SUV!!! You step on the gas and GO.

The diff was about 6K between the TBSS and the SRT-8 - Resale on the TBSS is horrible!
Here's what sold ME...
Much nicer interior (fit, feel, looks)
Remote start
Back up Camera with park distance control
Bluetooth
FIVE speed tranny
SRT Track Experience included in price
Little aftermarket support (yes it saves me money LOL)
Title of "fastest production SUV"

Sure the TBSS with a few mods is just as fast but what about a warranty?

BTW I've toyed with the idea of getting a used 06 TBSS as a work vehicle and they can be had for LOW 20's from a $42K sticker.
This is why we have different cars for different people!

Last edited by runutzzzzz; 04-21-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:16 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

I gotta say though, I'm guessing only here, but if you have an SRT-8 with nav, can you listen to a cd while using nav?????? We were just shocked when the salesman told us that we couldn't in the SS at delivery. 2006 and GM makes a nav system that shares its disc drive with the music player, who would have ever even thought to ask that!???
Old 04-21-2007, 10:48 PM
dark_phantom
Le Mans Master

Location: Central Florida. Black Sheep Squadron Member. 465 rwhp & 477 rwtq
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I think this should have been posted in OT.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:57 AM
nc_yella
Instructor

I was down to the SS and the Jeep SRT8, and couldn't justify the Chevy loyalty to comprimise getting the inferior SUV.

I got a black jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 as my winter and "daily driver" and it is an amzazing vehicle with incredible torque, not to mention more leg room and "creature comforts" head and shoulders above the SS.

Not only would i confidently say the SRT8 would ROAST the SS, i think it might even beat a stock vette 0-60. This thing throws me back in my seat so hard WOT is is amazing.

I have taken "car friends" out in it, and they have laughed their A** off at how fast this thing is.

Sorry...I am sad to say all this, because I REALLY wanted to like the SS better.
the srt8 jeep is faster 0-60 than the base ls2, not the z06, i had a vy c6 and almost bought that jeep, i was thorougly impressed, terrible gas message, and its resale will not be that good. a dana rear end, 3.73 gear quadra track. I may look for a used one in 2 years...i almost traded my vettte for it
Old 04-22-2007, 04:10 AM
eagles6998
Melting Slicks

Old 04-22-2007, 05:46 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by corvette pilot
I gotta say though, I'm guessing only here, but if you have an SRT-8 with nav, can you listen to a cd while using nav?????? We were just shocked when the salesman told us that we couldn't in the SS at delivery. 2006 and GM makes a nav system that shares its disc drive with the music player, who would have ever even thought to ask that!???
You have a 6 disk in-dash changer
Old 04-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by misteroman$$$
I remember that pic from awhile back on the internet.If I remember correctly some kid posted it up somewhere and then did the trouble ensue.Pretty sure it was on here though.
Derek

That thread instantly took a turn for the worst......
Old 04-22-2007, 06:15 PM
JJKJ
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 427SIXPACK
REPHRASED:

SNAILBLAZER / SS
Why the hate? Someone **** in the Wheaties this morning?

Bwahahah, I'd love to see the stock SRT-8 that can take a Vette 0-60.

I'd also like to see the guy who said you can get a $42k TBSS for low 20's. First off a $42k TBSS was a completely loaded AWD LT. I've seen some 2WD versions with some miles on them (30k) for mid to low $20's. Show me a true example of an AWD LT that isn't a salvage, buyback or lemon that's selling for low $20's. From what I've seen, my AWD LT with 9k mi would sell for about 4-5g's less than the $32k I paid for it. I'd say that's about average for any new vehicle.

Just wait until the SRT has been on the market a bit, you'll see they'll hold their typical Chrysler resale value. Have you checked out how any of the other SRT vehicles have held their value? Have you seen what you can buy a $42k SRT-8 Charger for?

For a fraction of the price difference, I can make my TBSS hang with any stock SRT-8, and still do this (show me an SRT-8 that can do either of these):

Old 04-22-2007, 06:34 PM
Black04Vert
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
Yes the SRT-8 does 0-60 in 4.5 Vette does it in 4.2?
Pretty much every magazine review has the SRT-8 Jeep 0-60 times falling in the range of 4.7 - 5.2. Are we talking about a modified SRT-8?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:27 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Black04Vert
Pretty much every magazine review has the SRT-8 Jeep 0-60 times falling in the range of 4.7 - 5.2. Are we talking about a modified SRT-8?
No a stock one. I'll find out who did the test.

Car and Driver

"This thing explodes when you jump on the gas. The four-wheel-drive system routes the majority of the engine's power to the rear wheels while cruising, and a clutch in the center differential can reroute power to the front wheels if the system detects that the rears are losing traction. Hit the gas, and after a barely audible chirp from the rear tires, the Jeep hurtles forward. From rest to 60 mph takes only 4.5 seconds, which is about as quick as a BMW M3 and a second quicker than the SS. The Jeep passes 100 mph in 12.0 seconds, 2.6 seconds sooner than the Chevy."

Last edited by runutzzzzz; 04-22-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:37 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JJKJ
Why the hate? Someone **** in the Wheaties this morning?

Bwahahah, I'd love to see the stock SRT-8 that can take a Vette 0-60.

I'd also like to see the guy who said you can get a $42k TBSS for low 20's. First off a $42k TBSS was a completely loaded AWD LT. I've seen some 2WD versions with some miles on them (30k) for mid to low $20's. Show me a true example of an AWD LT that isn't a salvage, buyback or lemon that's selling for low $20's. From what I've seen, my AWD LT with 9k mi would sell for about 4-5g's less than the $32k I paid for it. I'd say that's about average for any new vehicle.

Just wait until the SRT has been on the market a bit, you'll see they'll hold their typical Chrysler resale value. Have you checked out how any of the other SRT vehicles have held their value? Have you seen what you can buy a $42k SRT-8 Charger for?

For a fraction of the price difference, I can make my TBSS hang with any stock SRT-8, and still do this (show me an SRT-8 that can do either of these):
I'll agree that the Jeep SRT-8 will take a dive in the next few years.
YES you can get a LOADED 4x4 TBSS in the LOW 20's. I've run into a FEW of them and tempted to pick one up to play with! So no, I am not one of those haters.

Try the BIG auction site and look for completed auctions.
Check out the 2wd that went for $19400 with 1300 miles! Granted sticker on the car new was prob. $36K and he prob. bought it for around $30K

Last edited by runutzzzzz; 04-22-2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:01 PM
JJKJ
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
I'll agree that the Jeep SRT-8 will take a dive in the next few years.
YES you can get a LOADED 4x4 TBSS in the LOW 20's. I've run into a FEW of them and tempted to pick one up to play with! So no, I am not one of those haters.

Try the BIG auction site and look for completed auctions.
Check out the 2wd that went for $19400 with 1300 miles! Granted sticker on the car new was prob. $36K and he prob. bought it for around $30K
Read the description on that auction. It plainly states that the truck was flooded and had a salvage title. Of course it will go for way less than market value. I'm always checking on current market value of vehicles I'm interested in (ones I currently own and others I'm interested in buying), because you never know when an interesting trade or sale may pop up. With that said, I'm still asking for a concrete example of a low-to-normal mile AWD $42k TBSS that is for sale in the low $20's. As I mentioned, from the large auction site you referred to, the only AWD that sold in the low $20's (if you consider $24.9k to be low $20's, I don't) had 30k mi on it.

It doesn't matter that much to me anyway. The TBSS is not a vehicle I would consider selling right now, unless I were to buy another one. I can't think of a vehicle that would be as fun to drive that can also transport the family and tow all my toys.

Quick Reply: This is How 1030 HP look like.