C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How will GM Handle this out of Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 01:00 AM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How will GM Handle this out of Warranty?

I have an '05 vert and last year a hole developed on the inside passenger side of the vert top lining. I was probably the first to have this happen, but as predicted, many others have now started to experience this as well.

My liner was replaced under warranty, however, not long afterwards, I noticed a wear mark in the same spot. I am now only a few thousand away from being out of warranty. There is absolutely no question in my mind that a hole will develop there again in the future. Even if I bought an extended warranty, those don't cover vert tops or liners so it is a moot point. Obviously I am going to take this to GM now while I am still in warranty and might have some leverage. To me, this issue is a defect of the car and should be covered for life. If they cannot fix it such that it won't occur again, that shouldn't be on me.

Anyone have any similar experience with GM and know how they might approach this? Even if they say they will take care of it, any way to get this in writing? I have zero trust once I am outside of warranty.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:17 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K
Anyone have any similar experience with GM and know how they might approach this? Even if they say they will take care of it, any way to get this in writing? I have zero trust once I am outside of warranty.
Get in nicey nice with your dealer and have him push for you with GM. I had a C5 seat track replaced after the end of the warranty. It was previously replaced already under the original warranty. There are many items that may have extended warranty times that GM keeps from general view. With the right pull you may well succeed in a good case like yours seems to be.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:36 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K
I have an '05 vert and last year a hole developed on the inside passenger side of the vert top lining. I was probably the first to have this happen, but as predicted, many others have now started to experience this as well.

My liner was replaced under warranty, however, not long afterwards, I noticed a wear mark in the same spot. I am now only a few thousand away from being out of warranty. There is absolutely no question in my mind that a hole will develop there again in the future. Even if I bought an extended warranty, those don't cover vert tops or liners so it is a moot point. Obviously I am going to take this to GM now while I am still in warranty and might have some leverage. To me, this issue is a defect of the car and should be covered for life. If they cannot fix it such that it won't occur again, that shouldn't be on me.

I would not worry about it. When you go beyond the 3/36 bumper to bumper, GM has records of the previous complaint and repair. I do not think you will have a problem.

However, instead of the dealer just fixing the wear area in the liner, they really need to get at the root cause and take correction action so that this does not continue to reoccur.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:47 AM
marteeni
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Any pictures of the area you are talking about?
Old 04-29-2007, 02:00 AM
blkvette1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This issue has been around for a loooong time now with NO FIX from GM that I know of.

They called Friday with my new liner - to schedule an install ('06 with one years' use).

I have spoken to them about doing something to eliminate the possibility of it happening again. They are talking about having a "heavy" piece of something sewn to the liner to prevent a "reappearance" of the problem.

Read all about it - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ighlight=liner

Last edited by blkvette1; 04-29-2007 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Roofless
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

When I had this problem I contacted the maker of the top in Bowling Green and lo and behold they paid for a new top, installation and new weather stripping to boot. I still haven't gotten over that
Old 04-29-2007, 08:21 PM
Lightning Coyote
Melting Slicks

You need to ask dealer/GM, not the forum. You will only get everyones opinion here and they don't count.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Lightning Coyote
You need to ask dealer/GM, not the forum. You will only get everyones opinion here and they don't count.
Does that include yours?
Old 04-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Performance Junkie
Advanced

Show them a deposit slip for a Toyota

Get notified of new replies

To How will GM Handle this out of Warranty?

Quick Reply: How will GM Handle this out of Warranty?