C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering STILL out need help guys

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:56 PM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Bill,
Is Arnold the dealership? Just curious.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:46 PM
KENZ51
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-30-2007, 03:01 PM
par34n5
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06
Default performance

Originally Posted by c6vette
Bill,
Is Arnold the dealership? Just curious.
Like I said never had a problem with them..........
Old 05-30-2007, 03:02 PM
par34n5
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06
Default I saw the parts

Originally Posted by Landru
What else could it be if they've done as they claimed??
I'm truly stumped.

Good luck, sure hope you get this mystery resolved.
The car has the new parts saw them in the car. Its electronical some where from the sensors to the computer. Good news its not the main computer so even if it has to be changed its no biggie
Old 05-30-2007, 05:19 PM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by par34n5
Like I said never had a problem with them..........
I never had a problem with them either. Like I said earlier, Chris is a good Vette mechanic, one of the best around. Keep us informed as to what they finally find.
Al
Old 05-30-2007, 06:04 PM
par34n5
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06
Default Its not chris

Originally Posted by c6vette
I never had a problem with them either. Like I said earlier, Chris is a good Vette mechanic, one of the best around. Keep us informed as to what they finally find.
Al
Its bruce who used to be from arnold but now with performance chevy in east meadow
Old 05-31-2007, 12:14 AM
99FewteRC5
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

was it a reman. pump or a new pump that was installed? I have installed bad reman. pumps.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:53 AM
99ssconv
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Seriously doubt if the tech ever measured the p/s pump pressure and flow rate. That is where I would start. GM warranty pay is terrible, thats why most guys shotgun repairs. GM pays 0.3 hr for diagnosis on electrical problems and 0.5 hr to install the p/s pump analyzer, plus the majority of technicians in the work place now are just part changers that can't diagnose. With a shop of 10 technicians on average I would say that 3 out of the 10 actually have the knowledge to diagnose these complex vehicles accurately...

P.S. It's just getting worse, good luck.. Bring it to Dallas, I will fix it.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:42 AM
par34n5
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06
Default Its in their hands

Originally Posted by 99ssconv
Seriously doubt if the tech ever measured the p/s pump pressure and flow rate. That is where I would start. GM warranty pay is terrible, thats why most guys shotgun repairs. GM pays 0.3 hr for diagnosis on electrical problems and 0.5 hr to install the p/s pump analyzer, plus the majority of technicians in the work place now are just part changers that can't diagnose. With a shop of 10 technicians on average I would say that 3 out of the 10 actually have the knowledge to diagnose these complex vehicles accurately...

P.S. It's just getting worse, good luck.. Bring it to Dallas, I will fix it.
Be pretty tough driving to texas with no power steering
I am sure he is testing it now. Its getting a little old waiting for my car. Another weekend in NY and I want my $%^&*# car
Old 05-31-2007, 03:55 PM
par34n5
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06
Default update....

well after further testing seems the electronics may not be the culprit. Now they are going to change the power steering pump again. It may have been a brand new defected pump not a revamped pump not a after market a genuine GM part. What are the chances of that happening ??
Old 05-31-2007, 05:02 PM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

well after further testing seems the electronics may not be the culprit. Now they are going to change the power steering pump again. It may have been a brand new defected pump not a revamped pump not a after market a genuine GM part. What are the chances of that happening ??
**** happens!!!
Old 05-31-2007, 05:06 PM
V4Vette
Racer

As I believe ShopDog once said here "There are no bad cars, just bad mechanics" I suggest you find a better mechanic. He may be a great guy, but you need someone who really knows his sh't!
Old 05-31-2007, 06:15 PM
par34n5
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06
Default with a warranty

Originally Posted by V4Vette
As I believe ShopDog once said here "There are no bad cars, just bad mechanics" I suggest you find a better mechanic. He may be a great guy, but you need someone who really knows his sh't!
I am locked in......especially after work done to the car
Old 05-31-2007, 07:13 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So, they lied to you when they told you they'd pressure tested the pump. Lovely. Sounds like they're still shooting in the dark.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:51 PM
par34n5
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06
Default they did admit that

Originally Posted by shopdog
So, they lied to you when they told you they'd pressure tested the pump. Lovely. Sounds like they're still shooting in the dark.
They did not pressure test the pump.
They said it was too much of a pain in the a$$ to hook up the tester. Yes they did say they did originally test it but have since forgot their story. The tester is a pain in the next to connect. They actually improvised after the new pump was installed. They clamped off the line and determined the pump was bad when it made no sound from over pressure. Its sort of the same principal except there is no gauge on the clamp. LOL go figure. I am worn out with disapointment. To be continued............
Old 05-31-2007, 09:29 PM
CaBhaal
Racer

This whole scenario reminds me of a joke about troubleshooting problems on the F-15: Put a diagram of the system in question on the wall, and throw darts at it. Whatever component(s) your dart hits, you change. Repeat until the problem is fixed. Like anything else, you throw enough darts and eventually your problem will be fixed.

I'd check your dealer for a dart board!
Old 05-31-2007, 09:38 PM
99ssconv
Instructor

They did not pressure test the pump.
They said it was too much of a pain in the a$$ to hook up the tester. Yes they did say they did originally test it but have since forgot their story. The tester is a pain in the next to connect. They actually improvised after the new pump was installed. They clamped off the line and determined the pump was bad when it made no sound from over pressure. Its sort of the same principal except there is no gauge on the clamp. LOL go figure. I am worn out with disapointment. To be continued............
To install the p/s pressure test and measure the flow all you have to do is remove the p/s hose and connect the tester in series. Connecting the tester at the gear from underneath shouldn't be that difficult. I have seen reman pumps bad from the box but never a new GM pump bad from the box. You need a different shop or someone in that shop that knows what they are doing. Good luck.....

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering STILL out need help guys

Old 05-31-2007, 09:42 PM
99ssconv
Instructor

Default This is what those lazy guys need to perform

DEFINITION: The Power Steering System Test Procedure will perform the following functions:

• Test the operation of the hydraulic power steering system.

• Test the operation of the power steering pump and power steering gear.

• Identify restrictions in the system.

Inspect the power steering fluid for the following indications of contamination:

• Milky fluid - water

• Brown fluid - burnt

• Debris in fluid - plastic or dirt

Is the fluid free of contamination?
--
Go to Step 3
Go to Step 2

Flush the power steering system. Refer to Power Steering System Flushing .

Did you complete the procedure?
--
Go to Step 3
--

Important: In order to accurately diagnose the system, the malfunction must be present during the test procedure.

Attempt to duplicate the condition.

Is the condition present?
--
Go to Step 4
System OK

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Place a drain pan under the vehicle in order to catch any power steering fluid.
Disconnect the power steering pressure pipe/hose from the power steering pump or the power steering gear as necessary.
Install the J 44721 Power Steering Analyzer .
Fill the power steering system. Refer to Checking and Adding Power Steering Fluid .
Did you complete the installation?
--
Go to Step 5
--

Fully open the J 44721 valve.
Start the engine.
Notice: Refer to Steering Wheel in the Full Turn Position Notice in Cautions and Notices.

Turn the steering wheel and BRIEFLY hold the steering wheel against the steering stop in order to release any trapped air from the system.
Inspect and ensure that all of the power steering pipe/hose connections are not leaking.
Observe the pressure reading.
Is the pressure reading greater than the specified value?
1585 kPa

(230 psi)
Go to Step 6
Go to Step 7

Important: A restriction may be present in the power steering system. Turn off the engine IMMEDIATELY.

Locate and repair the restriction.

Did you complete the repair?
--
Go to Step 15
--

Allow the engine to run until the engine reaches full operating temperature.
Record the pressure reading and flow reading.
Partially close the J 44721 valve until the system pressure reaches the specified value, then record the FLOW reading.
Subtract second flow reading from the first flow reading.
Is the flow DECREASE greater than 3.8 L (1 gal) per minute?
4827 kPa

(700 psi)
Go to Step 13
Go to Step 8

Important: Do not leave the valve closed for more than 5 seconds, or internal pump damage could accrue.

Fully close then open the J 44721 valve 3 times. Record all of the high pressure readings. Refer to Power Steering Pump Specifications for power steering system pressure relief specifications.

Are the three high pressure readings within specifications?
--
Go to Step 9
Go to Step 13

Are the three high pressure readings within 245 kPa (50 psi) of each other?
--
Go to Step 10
Go to Step 13

Increase the engine speed to approximately 1500 RPM.
Record the flow reading. Refer to Power Steering Pump Specifications for power steering system pressure specifications.
Is the actual flow reading within specifications?
--
Go to Step 11
Go to Step 13

Is the difference between the actual flow reading and the maximum flow specification more than 3.8 L (1 gal) per minute?
--
Go to Step 13
Go to Step 12

Notice: Refer to Steering Wheel in the Full Turn Position Notice in Cautions and Notices.

Turn the steering wheel from steering stop to steering stop and record the FLOW readings at each stop.

Is the flow LOWER than 3.8 L (1 gal) per minute?
--
Go to Step 15
Go to Step 14

Replace the power steering pump. Refer to Power Steering Pump Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?
--
Go to Step 15
--

The power steering gear is leaking across the piston or bypassing the valve circuit. Replace the power steering gear. Refer to Power Steering Gear Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?
--
Go to Step 15
--

Test the power steering system for the original condition.

Does the original condition still exist?
--
Go to Step 5
Go to Step 16

Disconnect and remove the J 44721 from the vehicle.
Connect the vehicle power steering pipes/hoses.
Bleed the power steering system and add fluid as necessary. Refer to Power Steering System Bleeding .
Did you complete the repair?
--
System OK
Old 06-03-2007, 01:04 PM
par34n5
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06
Default Update

Well they changed the power steering pump for the second time and said I was good to go. I made it about half way home and tada.......no power steering. Brought the car back yesterday and had a nice chat with the people in control and told them three times is a charm. This is their last chance and after the nice talk I had I am sure it will come back this time fixed.
Its a shame that with a warranty issue its alot of red tape on getting stuff changed when its a expensive part. Or they have changed it once before. Then getting the mechanics who are on commision to fix it is another thing. I still say they are burning out parts because of the electronics. I am sure the car has no idea how fast its going and shuts down. They do not want to listen but I am sure now they will try another root after going through about $4000 in parts. This is going on three weeks and counting. Its past crying............
Old 06-03-2007, 01:09 PM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Time for GM to buy it back and get yourself a new one.

Quick Reply: Power steering STILL out need help guys