C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My C6 VS 03 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 06:53 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 479 Likes on 258 Posts

Here are some more of my 03 Cobras from years past:

03 Cobra with just cai, catback, and Predator tune on street tires:
12.34@115.4 powershifted
12.48@114.89 granny shifted

same car with 2.8 pulley (445rwhp/452rwtq SAE)
12.22@116+ on DRs granny shifted
12.29@116+ on street tires granny shifted

I still much prefer my C6s, but thems the facts!

Howard
Old 06-10-2007, 07:34 PM
6speedC6
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by boardroomjimmy
Timebomb? I don't think so sir. The cobra bottom end is plenty strong, the only real risk is running lean and melting a piston. Correctly tuned a cobra will live a good long life. Shipping weight on my 03 was 3508lb. more than my 07 coupe (3143lb) but not that heavy. There's plenty of former 03/04 owners on the board to back me up in saying that the cobra is one hell of a bang for the buck.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Mr. Couture
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IB4TL...No Street Racing
Old 06-10-2007, 07:50 PM
GMRULZ
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Against a stock 03 cobra I put about 3-4 cars on him through the 1/4 at a recent track rental. I have mods listed in sig.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:01 PM
maniax racing
Instructor

Originally Posted by shortski
Install a cam and get the C6 tuned switch out the K&N for a Vararam or you'll lose, with long tubes & CAI your probably around 350-360 RWHP, with cam and tune more like 370-380 the Vararam will give you an additional 10 at 85-90 MPH you'll catch him just before the light. Those Cobras with a chip and underdrive pulley are pretty quick. Good luck.
only 380 with a cam and goodies????? Your crazy! try over 400 rwhp
Old 06-10-2007, 08:07 PM
maniax racing
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo
Put it to you this way, race him several times at the track and when his rear end blows up, race him one more time, I think you'll win that one.

I had a buddy who lasted about 8 passes before he blew the rear in his Cobra.
do you guys even know anything about cobras? I am sure it wasn't his rear, most likely a half shaft. A cobra bottom is built!!!!!! Period. With 20 plus pounds of boost and plenty of fuel with a good tuner the cobra will run a very long time. I am a former 04 cobra owner that had over 550 rwhp. I now have a 07 m6 vette that I love. Both great cars
Old 06-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Kyle210
Advanced

Off topic but I'm supprised at how many former Terminator owners are here lol
Old 06-10-2007, 08:30 PM
shortski
Drifting

Originally Posted by maniax racing
only 380 with a cam and goodies????? Your crazy! try over 400 rwhp
Look at the mods on the car previous to your post, also Vet Doctors RX 500 package,

http://www.thevettedoctors.com/05_pa...C6_500rx.shtml

Horsepower will vary depending upon customer selection of camshaft and cylinder heads to produce from 350 to over 420 rear wheel horsepower. Horsepower for automatic transmission cars will be slightly lower due to additional drivetrain loss.

This prescription includes engine disassembly and inspection; custom porting and polishing of cylinder heads; high performance custom ground roller camshaft, valve springs, and chrome-moly push rods; titanium valve spring retainers; custom PCM; high performance air intake system; high performance exhaust system; engine assembly, performance dyno tuning, and chassis dyno testing.

Before and after chassis Dyno testing will be performed on your vehicle to ensure complete customer satisfaction.

Callaway Supernatural package, 490hp at the engine for $13,950

http://callawaycars.com/store/index.php?action=imageview&id=124'

both are headers, cam, head work, intake, exhaust, tune and give around 400 to the wheels, show me a dyno slip for a car with only CAI, headers, cam, tune and cat back with 400 RWHP, the cars I've seen dyno'd with these mod usually dyno in the 370-390 range. To get over 400 RWHP your into doing head work, changing out the valves & springs, bigger injectors, in other words a lot more money and work.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:47 PM
JAllenhood
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Look at the mods on the car previous to your post, also Vet Doctors RX 500 package,

Horsepower will vary depending upon customer selection of camshaft and cylinder heads to produce from 350 to over 420 rear wheel horsepower. Horsepower for automatic transmission cars will be slightly lower due to additional drivetrain loss.

This prescription includes engine disassembly and inspection; custom porting and polishing of cylinder heads; high performance custom ground roller camshaft, valve springs, and chrome-moly push rods; titanium valve spring retainers; custom PCM; high performance air intake system; high performance exhaust system; engine assembly, performance dyno tuning, and chassis dyno testing.

Before and after chassis Dyno testing will be performed on your vehicle to ensure complete customer satisfaction.

both are headers, cam, head work, intake, exhaust, tune and give around 400 to the wheels, show me a dyno slip for a car with only CAI, headers, cam, tune and cat back with 400 RWHP, the cars I've seen dyno'd with these mod usually dyno in the 370-390 range. To get over 400 RWHP your into doing head work, changing out the valves & springs, bigger injectors, in other words a lot more money and work.

My 06 MN6 vette has LG longtubes, a tune and a Vararam and puts down 380rwhp and 379rwtq. I could easily pick up 10 hp from a ported intake/TB combo. A cam SHOULD put me around 420rwhp.
A buddy has the exact mods I have and also has a cam and makes 419rwhp and 415rwtq on the same dyno I use.
I really don't think those numbers are out of line either, not like we have factory freaks. If you look in the tech section, you will find most MN6 C6s make from 370-380ish rwhp and rwtq with just longtubes and a tune.

Oh, perhaps we are comparing a mustang Dyno and a dynojet here? That would account for a HP difference, just a thought

Last edited by JAllenhood; 06-10-2007 at 08:50 PM. Reason: added a thought
Old 06-10-2007, 08:50 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."

I don't have a scanner to show my dyno slips but:

2007 C6 Z51 MZ6
Vararam CAI
Ported TB
Cartek 2x cam
Underdrive pulley
Kooks Headers
Borla Catback
415rwhp 380rwtq thru 4.10 gears. NO HEADWORK
Old 06-10-2007, 09:03 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

He may beat you,.....but he's still driving a Mustang. That body style is old and outdated. Most people don't even know what a Cobra is. A Honda CRX with enough engine work can smoke you.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:57 PM
shortski
Drifting

Originally Posted by k0bun
I don't have a scanner to show my dyno slips but:

2007 C6 Z51 MZ6
Vararam CAI
Ported TB
Cartek 2x cam
Underdrive pulley
Kooks Headers
Borla Catback
415rwhp 380rwtq thru 4.10 gears. NO HEADWORK
Thanks for making my point, take off the ported TB and the underdrive pulley and you'll have CAI, Cam, Headers and cat back I assume with the mods you also had a tune, with about 370-390 HP
Old 06-10-2007, 10:22 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."

Thanks for making my point, take off the ported TB and the underdrive pulley and you'll have CAI, Cam, Headers and cat back I assume with the mods you also had a tune, with about 370-390 HP
Well obviously I have a tune. Who wouldn't when getting work done. But are you telling me the ported TB and pulley are worth 25-45rwhp? That'll be putting a big dent on the sales of headers...

This is also thru 4.10 gears. Most believe that these gears will make the dyno read 8-10rwhp less. Although I cannot substantiate that.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:54 AM
shortski
Drifting

Originally Posted by k0bun
Well obviously I have a tune. Who wouldn't when getting work done. But are you telling me the ported TB and pulley are worth 25-45rwhp? That'll be putting a big dent on the sales of headers...

This is also thru 4.10 gears. Most believe that these gears will make the dyno read 8-10rwhp less. Although I cannot substantiate that.
HP claims by manufactures and suppliers are always suspect if not backed by actual dyno results, claimed gains for TB porting 5-15, claimed gain for under drive pulley about the same. My real time experience showed no significant gains from CAI or Cat back system, I saw a gain of 16 RWHP from a tune and improved drive-ability from changes in the shift point and shift engament, but we're getting away from the topic of the thread;

Originally Posted by SVT-Sinister View Post
My cousin and i wanna race and i was wondering if i could beat him. Here's the cars specs

2007 C6 M6
Longtubes
K&N air intake

2003 Cobra convertible
Ported blower
Chip
Pulley

IMHO a C6 with headers and CAI doesn't stand a chance against a mustang Cobra with a ported blower , a tune , and an underdrive pulley. The only thing to do is run what ya brung and let the time-slip do the talking.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:26 AM
NJAg78
Instructor

Being realitivity new to the Corvette world I am still having difficulty understanding the need/desire to race Vettes in a straight line for a quarter of a mile (not intended as a flame to those that have that need/desire). Although it appears from what I have read that they make a good showing at the strip, even stock, the real beauty of the Vette (in my feeble mind) is in its awesome handling and huge top end speed neither of which will you see at a drag strip.

BTW I was told by a Cobra owner acquaintance that his Cobra was governor limited to 160 MPH due to aeordynamic poroblems with the car above that speed. True?
Old 06-11-2007, 09:42 AM
bunk22
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TommyV
He may beat you,.....but he's still driving a Mustang. That body style is old and outdated. Most people don't even know what a Cobra is. A Honda CRX with enough engine work can smoke you.
True it is mustang but who's talking about engine work? A ported blower, pulley, cat-back, cai and tune is hardly engine work. The beauty of not knowing what a Cobra is works out well when the guy next to you at the track thinks he's racing a regular mustang. Believe me, I don't miss my Cobra at all after owning the C6 but an 03/04 Cobra can be made to go very fast on the cheap. The above mods would cost less than $2000; easy and inexpensive power.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Razrback16
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with the majority in this thread. The Cobra should win given equal drivers. I currently have a blown 97 Cobra -- haven't been to the track with it yet, but expecting very low 12's given the mods that I have.

Granted as many people said, the Mustang is designed as more of a straight-line performance vehicle, the Corvette is more of a road race vehicle, but both can be set up to run any way the driver wants.

Just can't wait to get my order placed for a C6. I love Mustangs, but I do consider the Corvette to be an entirely different class of vehicle and one of which I'd like to be part of.

Get notified of new replies

To My C6 VS 03 Cobra

Old 06-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle210
Off topic but I'm supprised at how many former Terminator owners are here lol
After reading through these posts ...totally

Hmmmmm, wonder why that is.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:41 AM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 479 Likes on 258 Posts

03 Cobras like C6 corvettes are about Bang for the Buck performance,

That is why there are som many former Terminator Cobra and 5.0 owners here.

Howard
Old 06-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Evilways
Melting Slicks

My experiences with SC'd mustangs:
older one, mid-late 90's Vortec @12 psi w/drs 520rwhp:

needed:driver mod for him,best he ran all night was 13.3-4
new GT500,pully,cai.catback,tune,drs:

took him by .1 and a few MPH
raced others but don't have vids, same result...done,done, I'm on to the next one.....
BTW, race on a track.Be ready to hear all the normal 'stang excuses:my clutch was slipping,missed a shift,blah,blah,blah.

Quick Reply: My C6 VS 03 Cobra