C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My thoughts on GMS,GSU,GMID pricing.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 11:19 AM
0corvetteconti @ EVS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My thoughts on GMS,GSU,GMID pricing.

Thank-you and read article - CLICK HERE!
Old 06-20-2007, 01:07 PM
noel48
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

As always,good info.Thanks Rick
Old 06-20-2007, 01:10 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,069 Likes on 1,260 Posts

Thanks for clearing up the definitions.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:38 PM
0corvetteconti @ EVS
Former Vendor

thank-you and you're welcome guys!
Old 06-20-2007, 05:12 PM
123vette456
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteconti @ EVS
Thank-you and read article - CLICK HERE!

Rick, I understand what you are saying, BUT, when forum dealers including you "11~2007's @ "TRUE" GMS pricing...." offer vetts to the public at GMS, GSU, GMID etc. then why not post the prices for all to see as soon as possible?

When you say, "For those that post this, especially other retail entities, I find this irresponsible. You make the market more confusing to those that cannot even obtain these price levels and ruin the value we as representatives are trying to display to a new customer. It is not available to everyone and therefore should be just thrown out there as if it were!"

I think is wrong. Sooner or later a dealer will offer GMS or Supplier or GMID to everyone even without the certificate and post the prices. Even you. So it is available to everyone.
No offence but your post seems a little off base.
Just a thought and I do respect all you have done for the forum and will call you when I am ready again to buy.

Last edited by 123vette456; 06-20-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:34 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Default Thanx !

Thanx for your perspective, Rick. I am entitled to Supplier pricing, and was able to use it in early 2006 when many dealers were not honoring it. Those who are actually entitled to Employee or Supplier pricing know how to use GM's appropriate websites to get the pricing for their discounts.

Also, thanx for the "GSU" TLA (Three Letter Anacronym) to differentiate Employee pricing from Supplier pricing. I hope "GSU" catches on to help simplify discussions.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:06 PM
streetpix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm confused...

"My thoughts are - we should post this on line..."

and then

"For those that post this, especially other retail entities, I find this irresponsible."

Those two views seem contrary - perhaps there's something I'm not getting. Which one is your position?
Old 06-20-2007, 06:13 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I don't see any reason not to post them. Invoice prices are going to be all over the internet very soon (Edmunds, KBB etc). Invoice pricing is meaningless because consumers have no way of knowing how much a dealer really needs to make in relation to invoice to make a fair profit. In addition, we all know there are many behind the scenes incentives and marketing dollars that change hands from GM and the dealership.

On the other hand, Employee and Supplier prices are a set price that GM has made available to qualifying buyers. In fact, GM prohibits dealers form making any "adjustments" to these prices if the dealer agrees to sell the customer at one of these price programs.

So what's the harm in sharing it?
Old 06-20-2007, 06:14 PM
JBVette
Instructor

Thanks Rick. I am looking forward to hearing back from you on the deal we discussed this morning.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:46 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 866 Likes on 609 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

I don't understand your point Rick. Most people here are smart enough to understand whether or not they qualify for one of the programs. In fact, if one has to ask, then they probably don't qualify.

I think what we are seeing is open competition between the dealers and the consumer benefits from that.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:54 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Why not post'em. They will always find their way to the forum.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:19 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
... Most people here are smart enough to understand whether or not they qualify for one of the programs. In fact, if one has to ask, then they probably don't qualify.....
There are some Aggies on this forum - they might have to ask....
Old 06-20-2007, 07:29 PM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by streetpix
I'm confused...

"My thoughts are - we should post this on line..."

and then

"For those that post this, especially other retail entities, I find this irresponsible."

Those two views seem contrary - perhaps there's something I'm not getting. Which one is your position?
I was confused about this as well. However, I think it is clear he meant we should NOT post this on line... I believe this was a typo of omission on Rick's part. If you read what follows, the context makes it clear what he means. I would expect that he will see this and fix it.

GMID I'd like to see as it is possible for someone to try and get this. For the others, I would agree that you'd already know if it applied to you. It would be interesting to see, but not much more.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:41 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2007, 09:37 PM
0corvetteconti @ EVS
Former Vendor

I don't understand your point Rick. Most people here are smart enough to understand whether or not they qualify for one of the programs. In fact, if one has to ask, then they probably don't qualify.

I think what we are seeing is open competition between the dealers and the consumer benefits from that.
Not the point at all...I get endless questions...what is GMS, GMID,etc,etc...and they feel as if they are not getting something they should....

Thank-you for your views.

as far as competition....no sweat - just give me a shot ~ I play to win! that benefits the customers and I'm not afraid to make the effort to do so too!
Old 06-20-2007, 10:19 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by DSOM Z51

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-20-2007, 10:28 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by corvetteconti @ EVS
Not the point at all...I get endless questions...what is GMS, GMID,etc,etc...and they feel as if they are not getting something they should....

Thank-you for your views.

as far as competition....no sweat - just give me a shot ~ I play to win! that benefits the customers and I'm not afraid to make the effort to do so too!

OK. I don't blame you at all WRT having to answer the same questions over and over. In fact, your definitions of the various GM programs should be a sticky. But the rest of your article on that subject......I'll just say we appreciate our supporting vendors here and not try to figure out what you are trying to say. I know I've hit the keyboard a time or two after downing a few

Get notified of new replies

To My thoughts on GMS,GSU,GMID pricing.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:23 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I don't see any reason not to post them. Invoice prices are going to be all over the internet very soon (Edmunds, KBB etc). Invoice pricing is meaningless because consumers have no way of knowing how much a dealer really needs to make in relation to invoice to make a fair profit. In addition, we all know there are many behind the scenes incentives and marketing dollars that change hands from GM and the dealership.

On the other hand, Employee and Supplier prices are a set price that GM has made available to qualifying buyers. In fact, GM prohibits dealers form making any "adjustments" to these prices if the dealer agrees to sell the customer at one of these price programs.

So what's the harm in sharing it?
Not true.* YOU know. I know. Most even on this forum, don't know that for a fact. Most don't believe it. Many car salespersons don't know it (OP and other Forum Vendor/Dealers not included.). Or claim not to know it.

The facts are, 1) "invoice" IS what a dealer is charged. It is NOT what a dealer necessarily ends up PAYING for that car. Or any car. And all other numbers (mine included ) after the first one are immaterial. All numbers after that one are "profit".

* that doesn't mean you're telling a lie. it means that the statement is inaccurate for many others.

Last edited by AORoads; 06-21-2007 at 01:33 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:34 AM
TxAggie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard those Aggies rock by the way!
Old 06-21-2007, 06:06 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Not necessarily, last summer when I bought my '07 from Rick, I was confused as to just which GM program that a GMID certificate entitled me to. I had heard about the GM Share It plan that allowed suppliers to share their certificates with friends, and TooManyIDs was kind enough to share one of his with me.

I ended up forwarding all the info that was given to me off to Rick and he gave me a price that was better than I had gotten at a local dealer, so I was happy with the deal even though I wasn't sure if it was the GM Supplier price or the GM In The Driveway price.

I would think that anyone currently in the same position that I was last summer would appreciate a good description of the GM discount programs, and I applaud Rick for making the descriptions available to us.

Quick Reply: My thoughts on GMS,GSU,GMID pricing.