C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hit a giant pot hole at 80mph, do i need to worry about anything?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 12:20 PM
fafnir
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hit a giant pot hole at 80mph, do i need to worry about anything?

hi, i just hit a pretty large pot hole at about 80-85mph, with a protruding side raised maybe 2 inches, so comparable to hitting a four inch speed bump or something

the impact was pretty violent, and i put the car on a lift to check out if i tore anything off

everything appears to be normal, no missing parts or anything

and even worse, the alignment seems to be slightly off, dunno if its from hitting the pot hole or not

do i need to look for frame damage or anything? should i be worried about anything?

has anyone ever hit anything like this before? at comparable speeds?

and did you have to replace anything or bend anything back?

car is a MT c6 06 z51

thanks for the time

_
Old 06-20-2007, 12:26 PM
gordonboss
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Alignment might be a problem. If you looked and nothing is broken you are probably ok. How does it ride, steer, sound? probably good to go.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:26 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I've hit a pretty big hole at 60 or so. I put it on my lift and checked it over, didn't see any problems. This was about 3500 miles ago and no problems. In your case, I think I'd get an alignment.

You might also check for any wheel runout.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:29 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,582 Likes on 1,622 Posts

The alignment will be off for sure. Get it aligned. I did similar in Feb in the BMW only at about 60. Alignment was considerably off and the SW was slightly off. No other damage, execpt the below

You are lucky on the wheel!
Old 06-20-2007, 12:37 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gordonboss
Alignment might be a problem. If you looked and nothing is broken you are probably ok. How does it ride, steer, sound? probably good to go.
Yeah, I'd get it to a good alignment shop for sure. They can (should) also check for any damaged suspension bits.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:38 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I hit a gap in the road at least 2" deep, probably more, was on I-80 somewhere in eastern OH or western PA, at the foot of an overpass... was doing probably close to 75mph... the gap stretched across both lanes, could not avoid... it was the most violent shock I've ever felt in any car... BA-BAM!!!!... I thought it was all over, but surprisingly, zero damage. Alignment did not noticeably change either. Haven't had it re-aligned yet but I plan to do so asap. There were other similar road gaps in that same general stretch of roadway at each overpass... somebody should be SHOT for leaving the road in that condition.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:38 PM
VetteBandit
Racer

If you really hit that big of a pot hole at 80 I would guess your alignment is off and your wheel and or tire are toast.

Good luck.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Colovette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Although any such occurance usually sounds and feels as if it's done more damage than was actually inflicted, I'd get both the alignment and the wheel checked to make certain that all is OK.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:41 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

I hit a pothole in April...well it was actually a big chunk of the edge of the road missing and the drop was about 6-8in into a bit of a ditch...

Couldn't be avoided cuz of on coming traffic...

Had to replace the front passenger wheel (aftermarket) and tire right away.

Then just recently, found out the rear passenger wheel was out of line and couldn't be repaired while having it moved from my black C6 to the yellow one and had to replace that one too...

So...have it checked...
Old 06-20-2007, 12:50 PM
luckyj
Racer

Default Creeped up on a cement bumber by mistake

I had my mind elsewhere and instead of backing up, I put it in D and creeped up on a cement parking lot bumber. The bumper was just slightly higher than a speed bump. I have seen ones much higher. Just touched the black front shield which I touch every time I back out of my drive. I put it in reverse and the front tires lowered down on the pavement. That was the first time I got down and looked at the front shield. I have two artificial knees, so it is hard for me to do. Looked like new which surprised me since it touches each time I leave the driveway at home. Even my Infiniti M45 touches when I leave. The C6 will take more abuse than we think.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:57 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by fafnir
has anyone ever hit anything like this before? at comparable speeds?

and did you have to replace anything or bend anything back?_
Ran over a dead deer laying across the entire lane at ~85 three weeks after getting my C6...

Other than the alignment being knocked out of whack and the underside of the car and rear fascia were covered the blood, guts, meat and fur...
Old 06-20-2007, 01:22 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by fafnir
so definitely nothing frame or suspension mount related damage i should worry about?_
JMHO, but I think running over Bambi and hitting Paulie Pothole at 85mph is like comparing getting hit in the head with a cottonball versus a Roger Clemens fastball...two totally different scenarios.

Personally, I would have the frame checked at the same time you are having the wheels and tires checked for damage, especially if the pothole was that big.

And then (getting my flame suit on) send any repair bill to your state's DOT to get your money back...it's their road, they are responsible for it's maintenance and obviously, they have been negligent in doing so.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:27 PM
tomekeuro85
Racer

hahahaha

I read it pretty quick and I thought the title of the post was "hit a giant POLE" at 80mph...

That would probably have caused some trouble and there would definitely have been something to worry about.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tomekeuro85
hahahaha I read it pretty quick and I thought the title of the post was "hit a giant POLE" at 80mph...That would probably have caused some trouble and there would definitely have been something to worry about.
You should definitely check your alignment after hitting a giant pole at 80mph.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Colovette
Although any such occurance usually sounds and feels as if it's done more damage than was actually inflicted, I'd get both the alignment and the wheel checked to make certain that all is OK.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:30 PM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Alignment 4 Sure

Have someone check the wheel for cracks & roundness
Old 06-20-2007, 03:58 PM
gordonb50
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Check your alignment and wheel(s). Seems like there are a lot of bent wheel discussions on this forum.

Get notified of new replies

To hit a giant pot hole at 80mph, do i need to worry about anything?

Old 06-20-2007, 08:21 PM
steve burns
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hit a pothole with the front wheels...

[QUOTE=fafnir;1560748726]so definitely nothing frame or suspension mount related damage i should worry about?

i figured i should have that checked out before sending it into the alignment shop

well, guess i'm going to have all the tires pulled off and checked for damage along with the rim, then balanced again if their fine and alignment done as soon as the wheels turn out fine

so what about the shock absorbers? how easy is it to damage those?

and also, about the frame and suspension mounts again, how are those supposed to be checked out? e.g. fatigued metal? cracks? ultrasound?

thanks again for the time

Car drove fine...but front tires wore like crazy. Tire store said it was alignment. Checked the alignment and it was off quite a bit. A good shop should be able to tell if there is any other damage. Definitely get it aligned. I would doubt you did any frame damage. Also, keep an eye on the tire that hit the pothole. If a bubble develops, replace the tire. keep an eye on it for awhile, it may not appear right away.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:29 PM
gsport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how many miles on your car?? if i'm not mistaken if you have less than 5000 miles and go back to the dealer and do a little complaining they'll do a re-alignment for you... just tell em you think it's off
Old 06-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Stock wheels are forged and very tough, so unless the rim itself was notched or otherwise visibly compromised you probably don't have to worry about bends or cracks. The frame and suspension are also extremely tough, so no worries there. Have the alignment checked, then pay close attention for any bumps or bulges on either inner and outer sidewalls for the next few weeks.

I ran over a chunk of 4x4 on a dark on ramp at 55mph last fall. An outside sidewall bubble appeared two weeks later. Since the tire was only about two months old, my dealer immediately replaced it under the road hazard warranty.

Quick Reply: hit a giant pot hole at 80mph, do i need to worry about anything?