C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy upgrade from base radio to next one up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 02:55 PM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy upgrade from base radio to next one up?

I have a 1LT '07 vette with the stock radio. Not happy about the single cd.

What I'd like to know is whether the next radio up (Bose?) will easily replace the one I have without major changes. This includes connectors, wiring, speakers, etc.

If it doesn't, then I'll live with this one and later (maybe next year) just go with a custom setup incl head/amp/sub/spkrs.

Basically, if it's cheap and easy I'd like to keep it looking stock by buying a used Bose head, if not, I may just go for it and spend 1-1.5K or so.

Has anybody else thought about this?
Old 06-21-2007, 05:06 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

I don't think a "non-Bose to Bose" upgrade would be cheap, nor easy. I *think* the connectors are the same, but the Bose radio expects to use external amps (if it is like all the other Bose models in the GM lineup)... your base model doesn't have these amps, so the sound output would be very low. If you buy the Bose radio, wiring harnesses, and amps/speakers, you might be able to swap everything out all at once and end up with a working system. I don't know that it would be cost effective, but it should be possible, at least theoretically.

Also, thanks to the anti-theft coding, a GM-to-GM radio swap would also mean a visit with Mr Goodwrench and his trusty Tech2 computer, to encode your replacement radio with your car's VIN. Without that VIN encoding, your replacement radio thinks its been stolen, and will refuse to operate. Some dealers will do this for free, but most I've seen charge $50-$75 for the reprogram. An exception to this is -- I think if you buy a _brand new_ GM radio that has _never_ been installed in a vehicle before, the radio will code itself on the very first power-up.

I went down this bumpy upgrade road with my 07 Avalanche... This is just my experience, YMMV, etc...

Cheers,
Kent

Last edited by Kent1999; 06-21-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:29 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
I don't think a "non-Bose to Bose" upgrade would be cheap, nor easy. I *think* the connectors are the same, but the Bose radio expects to use external amps (if it is like all the other Bose models in the GM lineup)... your base model doesn't have these amps, so the sound output would be very low. If you buy the Bose radio, wiring harnesses, and amps/speakers, you might be able to swap everything out all at once and end up with a working system. I don't know that it would be cost effective, but it should be possible, at least theoretically.
Actually, the connectors aren't the same, but the base radio does have an external amplifier, a full 4 ch amp, while the Bose has only a 3 ch amp (it feeds the rear speakers in mono). The 6 CD and Nav HUs do have 4 ch line outputs, so they will work with the base 4 ch amp (actually work better with the base amp than with the Bose amp since you'll get true stereo from all the speakers). You just have to do some rewiring to make them mate up.

Also, thanks to the anti-theft coding, a GM-to-GM radio swap would also mean a visit with Mr Goodwrench and his trusty Tech2 computer, to encode your replacement radio with your car's VIN. Without that VIN encoding, your replacement radio thinks its been stolen, and will refuse to operate. Some dealers will do this for free, but most I've seen charge $50-$75 for the reprogram. An exception to this is -- I think if you buy a _brand new_ GM radio that has _never_ been installed in a vehicle before, the radio will code itself on the very first power-up.
This is true.

Get notified of new replies

To Easy upgrade from base radio to next one up?

Quick Reply: Easy upgrade from base radio to next one up?