C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone been pulled over with JUST borla stingers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 09:04 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Anyone been pulled over with JUST borla stingers?

Just like the title says.

I'm trying to make up my mind between borla stingers and the corsa sport exhausts.

The touring versions of both are too timid for my liking, but I dont want anything TOO loud. I know its an opinion....but if people are getting pulled over with stingers then they're a little too loud for me and I'll go with Corsas.

Also, does the sound increase with the X-pipe on either application? Or does the X-pipe just help to reduce drone?

Thanks
Old 06-21-2007, 09:16 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Just like the title says.

I'm trying to make up my mind between borla stingers and the corsa sport exhausts.

The touring versions of both are too timid for my liking, but I dont want anything TOO loud. I know its an opinion....but if people are getting pulled over with stingers then they're a little too loud for me and I'll go with Corsas.

Also, does the sound increase with the X-pipe on either application? Or does the X-pipe just help to reduce drone?

Thanks
Hope not cause I just now put mine on. Sounds bad so far and I'm really looking forward to critiqueing them.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:16 PM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

I would be surprised if anyone was pulled over for Stingers, never even got a 2nd look from my Bullets
Old 06-21-2007, 09:26 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 490 Likes on 263 Posts

Borla Stingers are loud enough to be enjoyable, but not loud enough to get pulled over.

Even at Full Throttle they are not that loud, my Bullets were INSANE, and I still never got pulled over.

Howard
Old 06-21-2007, 09:34 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

So far so good then :P

I had a borla system on my fbody that was adjustable with plates and if it was open you WOULD get pulled over if a cop felt like it (and I was...3 times)

I guess this setup isnt quite as loud as that then :P

So what about the x-pipe? More volume?
Old 06-21-2007, 09:49 PM
cmb13
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

No, but I do upshift when near a cop, routinely.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:07 PM
lexaudio
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No. I drive by police in the Bullets (the loudest without headers there are) and they do nothing.

Here in LA, there are alot of loud cars and bikes.

They are more worried about speeders and traffic violators than a loud exhaust.

Funny story.

When I was dynoing the Vette at LAPD, and a cop pulls in the the lot.
Gets out of the car and walks toward the dyno.
I am thinking, oh sh*rt. What is going to happen? He going to find something to write me up for.
Maybe the exhaust.

So he walks up next to me, I smile, and he looks at the dyno run and walks away and into the garage.

I asked what that was about. The tech says, "he stops by all the time. Big Vette Fan."

LEX
Old 06-21-2007, 10:50 PM
JACK FRISSINA
Racer

Default Pulled over

Have stingers on 03z without cats ,sounds mean ,had a sheriff pull along side at a light and he gave me a thumbs up, never a problem .
Old 06-21-2007, 11:26 PM
n2f
Racer

Yes, I'm curious about the x-pipe as well; more volume or less drone?
Old 06-22-2007, 12:03 AM
072LTC6Z51
Racer

Supposed to be a little less drone with the X-pipe & smooths out the sound a little. Like the popping & gurgling when you lift off the gas. Just ordered mine today without the X-pipe. I like that noise.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:52 AM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

So far, with just the drive home from the install, I get a deep, mean growl with gurgleing on decel. No popping though. I also have the x-pipe which is suppose to even out the note, smooths burbleing, and eliminates popping.

Can't wait to take it out and listen to the new sound. Looks really good with those 4" quads. I'm glad my journey is finally over with the exhaust. I've spent the last hour out in the garage cleaning the tips in and out. A clean Vette is a happy . . . and "Bad" Vette!
Old 06-22-2007, 01:02 AM
Atomic Orange
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny that you'll get pull over for the Borlas which in the noise department don't even come close to the loudness of my wife's Harley VROD with Rhinehart pipes! She's never been pulled over for noise. Do bikers get the breaks when it comes to exhaust noise? My own Street Glide makes some noise too, although not as loud as the wife's VROD. I've never been pulled over either.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:27 AM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 490 Likes on 263 Posts

IMO the x-pipe will mellow the sound out by reducing popping and gurgling on decel like mentioned above.

I have one with my Magnaflow system on my 2005, but I prefer the sound of the stock h-pipe so that is what I have with Borlas on my 2006.

GotVett? -

I know you are enjoying the new sound

Howard
Old 06-22-2007, 07:16 AM
n2f
Racer

Awesome! Thanks for the X-Pipe info
Old 06-22-2007, 07:55 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

No, but if I see a LEO I will grab a higher gear and reduce my throttle position to avoid any possible reason to look at me aside from the fact I have a Corvette w/o a front plate No sense tempting fate.

Initially I installed my Borla Sports sans X-pipe and I really liked the sound and had no issues, but then I found a slightly used Borla X-pipe for $200 shipped so I figured why not and bought and installed it. From my recollection I don't think it did too much. It may have cut some of the snapping/popping/gurgling etc on decel but as I said I have no proof.

I'd buy the system sans X-pipe and try that first. You can always add the X-pipe later if you feel you need/want it.

Tom

PS: Did I say how much I like the Borla's. I just wish I had bought them first instead of the TWO other systems I bought, installed, removed and sold. What a waste of time, effort and $$$$. And they look great too:

Last edited by AFVETTE; 06-22-2007 at 07:59 AM. Reason: added photos
Old 06-22-2007, 07:13 PM
Paulkr
Instructor

Default Borla Stingers

I had just borlas and the X-pipe it was not loud, Now I have lg motorsports headers,racing cats, and thier X-pipe, it can be loud but I like it, and I have not been stopped
Old 06-22-2007, 07:55 PM
TMRoc
Pro

Default Just left the Polce dept.

No,,, I had to pickup some money.

While I was there I had three Office come over and look the car over and say Nice Ride.. and it Sounds great.

I love the sound of the four tip, Borla Stingers...

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone been pulled over with JUST borla stingers?

Old 06-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 184 Posts

I have Bullets and had no problem. Had 6 motorcycle cops behind me at a light-six chances all at once-not a problem.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:52 PM
zare191
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been pulled over because of my Borla Stingers---------------By Corsa owners wondering why their exhaust sounds so pathetic compared to mine.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:11 AM
VetVetter
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: YOU SEE ... I'M NOT CRAZY ...I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I got pulled over and ticketed for illegal exhaust - bullets and headers set up I have. It had just rained and I wasn't even getting on it.

Northern VA on Rt 66. Cop was a moron - he was convinced I had straight pipes. I put the bullets on myself and for some reason I still had the instructions in the car to show him. The only time in my life I gave a LEO a hard time. I asked him about all the bikes and trucks running around, then I actually had him on the ground looking at the system.

It depends where you live and what they get all excited about. I have never heard of even one story of anyone getting pulled over for any exhaust sound .... cept me

Quick Reply: Anyone been pulled over with JUST borla stingers?