C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAIL ORDER TUNING by Chuck CoW

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 09:53 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default MAIL ORDER TUNING by Chuck CoW

Corvettes of Westchester offers our very popular CARLISLE/MAIL ORDER TUNE to Corvette Forum Members

All MAIL ORDER Tunes are $350.

Corvettes of Westchester can Tune your Vehicle's Computer no matter where you live. The Town, State, or Country you live in DOSEN'T MATTER.

Using common hand tools almost anyone can remove the vehicle's PCM. Be sure to pack the computer safely and Express mail it to us. Be sure to include contact information, billing info, Shipping info, and any special instructions.

You MUST list ANY & ALL modifications you or anyone else has made to the vehicle. Failure to do so may yield unexpected results.

***PLEASE NOTE*** In vehicles where the engine has been modified from original (ie. cam, heads, displacement, & forced induction) YOU MUST call BEFORE you send us your PCM. Computers for these modified vehicles may take longer than 3 days to return to you.

We can tune ANY LSx based CORVETTE, CAMARO, GTO, CADILLAC CTSV, ANY LSx BASED GM TRUCK (ie. Silverado, Denali, Hummer, Suburban, etc..etc) Additionally, 06 & 07 CORVETTE ZO6, and 06 & 07 CORVETTES w/ 6 speed AUTOMATIC TRANS, and 07 ESCALADE w/ 6 speed automatic trans.

IT IS REQUIRED with ALL CORVETTES OF WESTCHESTER tunes that only PREMIUM OCTANE FUEL be used (having an octane of "91" , "93" or higher) and a LOW TEMPERATURE THERMOSTAT must be installed. If you do not have one, we can include one for $49.95 when you computer is returned to you. PLEASE REMEMBER: THESE 2 items are REQUIRED.

Please call any time if you have any questions: 914-332-0049 Chuck CoW

Pictured below is an 06 C6 Corvette. C5 corvettes are Similar. 06 & 07 ZO6 are slightly different as the dry sump oil tank is in the way.

CALL ANY TIME WITH QUESTIONS

Stay Tuned
Chuck CoW
Old 06-22-2007, 10:01 PM
huckleberrydude
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ummm

every car is different. My altitude is different. My 06 c6 was completely different than the 07 c6. No way a standard program would function the same for any two cars. You could make an educated guess on previous tunes and then go ultra safe. No thanks
Old 06-22-2007, 10:24 PM
400Reasons
Instructor

Hey Chuck,

I'll never make it up to a show so Im interested in the tune by mail. What gains are typical for an otherwise stock C6?
Old 06-22-2007, 11:36 PM
RWTD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by huckleberrydude
ummm

every car is different. My altitude is different. My 06 c6 was completely different than the 07 c6. No way a standard program would function the same for any two cars. You could make an educated guess on previous tunes and then go ultra safe. No thanks
Ummm, sure it is. These are MAF controlled vehicles. It doesn't matter what your altitude/elevation is, the MAF will compensate. This is why you can tune a vehicle at sea level, and then take it to Denver, CO, and the tune will still be spot on (provided that it is tuned properly in the first place).

This is also another reason that if your car is dyno tuned, it's always a good thing to be tuned at the lowest elevation the car may ever see, since if you tune at a high elevation, and then go to sea level, your MAF transfer may be off in the higher ranges, since these weren't seen at the higher elevation during the tuning. Ahhh, the beauty of a MAF controlled vehicle!

As for tuning between different vehicles and different years, this is why a tuner should always test multiple combinations and similar combinations, constantly, so as to give them tons of experience on such various setups. This can allow a tuner to build educated tunes, not guesses. FYI, just about every like '06 and '07 C6 I've tested has all responded the same.

Last edited by RWTD; 06-22-2007 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:19 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Take a Tuning 101 class...It will set you straight.

Originally Posted by huckleberrydude
ummm

If you're not interested in what I'm selling....There's no need to comment. Thanks

Take a Tuning 101 class...It will set you straight.

Funny thing is, GENERAL MOTORS Built say 20,000 (twenty thousand... ) C6 corvettes.....and EVERY ONE has the exact same program in it for each respected model/year and they are delivered to every point on the globe....every altitude...climate....and temperature......and run PERFECTLY.

SO.....You're point is....That GM did it wrong....and that I do it wrong.

Let me help you a bit..... The car is equipt with a MAP/BARO sensor and a MAF sensor among others....and a VERY fast computer with some real crafty software which obviously does a fine job of running either of your cars at ANY altitude....

And if I may say so...MY TUNES merely build on what they designed sooo well and make them run even better.....AT ANY ALTITUDE.

Dude...take the Class....it will do you some good.

Stay TUNED!
Chuck CoW
Old 06-23-2007, 01:34 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Big Gains.....

Originally Posted by 400Reasons
Hey Chuck,

I'll never make it up to a show so Im interested in the tune by mail. What gains are typical for an otherwise stock C6?

Typically, you'll see like 25 to 30 hp at the top of the curve....but, WHO CARES ABOUT THAT???

What's more important is the significant TORQUE increase in the lower RPM's (below the curve where you spend most of your time), improved THROTTLE RESPONSE, SMOOTHNESS, NO SKIP SHIFT, AND OVERALL PERFORMANCE you'll get...

Don't take my word for it....Do a search for "Chuck CoW' on this forum and I guarantee you'll find more than a few guys out there who have used me for tuning......

STAY TUNED!
Chuck CoW
Old 06-23-2007, 01:44 AM
huckleberrydude
Pro

every single car from the same year will be different on the same dyno.
factory tunes are so safe it is rediculous. Each car should be tuned individually to reach its potential, and no I am not interested in buying your stuff. I nuked a piston because of a mail order tune. Sorry to **** you off, I'm sure you support this site. For $350 anyone can go and get a good safe tune on their car. I live in a small town and have two very capable dyno guys with experience on vettes. Neither of them would take the responsibility of giving someone a tune without working with the car personally. I also understand business 101. I think it is a great idea to sell safe tunes. I would be willing to bet that if you had the car, you could safely tune it better. Individual tunes would cut down on profit. I understand. For the general run of the mill unaltered car, good deal. For FI guys, big variation on dyno.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:49 AM
huckleberrydude
Pro

Fuel availability is vastly different here as it is at my other home. 500 ft. 93
9,500 ft. 89
Old 06-23-2007, 02:14 AM
RWTD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Typically, you'll see like 25 to 30 hp at the top of the curve....but, WHO CARES ABOUT THAT???
Now, this is the point where I will take issue with. You and I both know that it is impossible to pick up that much power on a stock non-Z06 C6.

5 to 10 on average, maybe even up to 15. If anyone is getting more out of them then there are some underlying issues coming into play (overly sensitive knock sensors, stuck on low octane table, etc.).
Old 06-23-2007, 03:37 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default No reason to take issue....

Originally Posted by RWTD
Now, this is the point where I will take issue with. You and I both know that it is impossible to pick up that much power on a stock non-Z06 C6.

5 to 10 on average, maybe even up to 15. If anyone is getting more out of them then there are some underlying issues coming into play (overly sensitive knock sensors, stuck on low octane table, etc.).

Here's the deal.... Those numbers are TOTALLY REALISTIC as there are MANY of my customers on this forum with mostly stock C5's making 25 and in some cases 30 hp improvements with dyno sheets to prove it.

It's not hard when you know what you are doing. As for the ZO6 and even regular C6's..... We just made near 30 dyno pulls (which will be posted on this forum very soon) for VARARAM showing/proving an EASY 25-30.....

Not sure what's happening in your neighborhood, but....there are quite a few forum tuners/vendors who can back me up.....It's public knowledge....Have a look see for yourself. Better yet....give it a try!

Stay Tuned!
Chuck CoW

By the way.... Don't expect to make BIG power at 12,000+ feet like the boys at SEA LEVEL....
Old 06-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Originally Posted by RWTD

Im one of the guys Chuck convinced long ago. My car went from 338 RHWP 332 RWTQ to 365 RWHP 358 RWTQ after a tune and have the dyno sheets to prove it....in fact it happened at a dyno day where there were about 50 people that saw it. Seeing it first hand got me onto a entirely new perspective concerning engine control management.

Coming from an old school, non computer car background, I was so intrigued I started asking, learning, and took some courses with Greg Banish (one of the worlds most accomplished software writers for ECMs. He's written code for just about every BMW, GM. Mercedes engine). He has a great book for anyone that wants to understand the basics http://www.amazon.com/Engine-Managem...dp/1932494421). The complexity of the ECM in the modern performance car is amazing. Most car manufacturers do adjust fueling and spark to be safe and conservative.

Especially in the case of the Corvette, where a good market segment purchasing it has never driven a high performance car, there needs to be things like torque management, power retard, etc to keep the unknowing driver safe and in control of a 400hp car on a variety of road and weather condtions. Luckily for us, the engineers built plenty of flexibility to alter and fine tune the engine and drive train efficiency directly to the modifications installed on any particular vehicle in any type of environment.

There are many people with very talented tuners like Chuck close by, but there are just as many throughout the country that do not or are too intimidated to approach a tuner shop to find out. For them, a mail order tune fills the bill quite nicely. There are ways to wake up a stock or modified C6, while keeping things safe. That's where training and experience comes into play. The final determination of the "best" tune for any particular individual is to analyze how they intend to drive their car, what modifications if any they have, and where they want to end up. A dyno tune is good for adjusting peak power and fueling. Some feel a road tune is even better, as you are incorporating environmental factors and on road vehicle dynamics into the equation when adjusting for your engine load. Any competent tuner will road test and data log your tune after it comes off the dyno to ensure it's safe and functioning 100% to his liking.

Chuck has performed thousands of tunes. Ive seen his database. His talents had a race team in a China bring him to their country at their expnse to tune their cars. Those cars and years of experience is what will benefit you with a mail order tune. He spends a lot of time (waaaay too much time ) speaking with a customer before he does their mail order tune (which is anything BUT generic) to see what mods, etc they have. He then tailors the tune as closely as possible for performance while keeping safety in mind.

There are other mail order tuners here on the forum that do mail order tunes as well, all of them very well respected and making a good living making cars much more fun to drive. Ive yet to see a negative post about anyone unhappy with their mail order tune, or someone blowing their engine because of the tune. For anyone who doesnt have a reliable shop nearby, a mail order tune from a proven vendor like Chuck is a great way to go.

Last edited by Craigster05; 06-23-2007 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:40 AM
bbster
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Tune

Will you be doing tunes at Carlisle this year?

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:54 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I'll jump in here in support of Chuck and basically echo what Craigster05 said. I coined the phrase "COW WOW!" and after 20 runs down an 1/8th mile drag strip, I still say COW WOW, and all this with a mail order tune if you will (I sent him my ECM and TCM).

I may even get a chance to dyno Chucks tune in the next couple of months, if I do I will post the results.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:52 AM
RWTD
Burning Brakes

Craig, yes, Greg Banish is a brilliant individual! We hang out on the same pay-per-view tuning forum, www.EFITO.com (calibrator Jerry Wroblewski's site - check it out if you have a chance). I personally know Jerry Wroblewski. He is a great guy, and a good friend of mine. Curious, do you know Dev?

Anyway, as you can see in my first post within this thread, I implied that mail-order tuning was safe, and purposely posted within this thread to back up this fact, as well as to lend my support for Chuck. I admit, my 2nd post came off a bit harsh, tho it honestly wasn't my intention.

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
It's not hard when you know what you are doing. As for the ZO6 and even regular C6's..... We just made near 30 dyno pulls (which will be posted on this forum very soon) for VARARAM showing/proving an EASY 25-30.....
Chuck, I assume you're implying that this includes a Vararam and tuning, correct? I agree, that's normal power gains from most any good aftermarket intake along with tuning. This doesn't even account for the charge you can gain on the Vararam while moving at higher speeds.

BTW, that's awesome you've been to China! Congrats! I've always wanted to go (one day). How was the track and street scene there? I can only imagine how fun and crazy the Chinese are when it comes to their cars!

Here's a couple of funny stories I can personally share (shortened so as not to take away from your thread):

A couple of years ago, I flew to Puerto Rico for a 2 day dyno event. Afterwards, they took us out on to experience their street racing scene. I can only tell you that I nearly crapped my pants with how they drive (I saw my life flash before me, haha)! It's like constant rush hour in NYC there, but racing it at the same time! Amazing scuba diving, too!

Down in Australia, man, what some hyped of blokes those are (odd they speak English, yet you can't really understand them? LOL!). They don't get much in the way of decent tuners for MAF based vehicles there (most vehicles are SD in Aussie). Their roads also suck, BAD! Speed cameras everywhere, and the cops don't hesitate to write you up in a second. After experience this, I can never not appreciate the interstate system we have here in the US.

I was in Mexico a few months ago, but that was much more subdued. I also recently was in Chicago for a 3 day dyno fest (20 supercharged vehicles, and 1 turbo setup), and that was a fun event.

Take care!

Last edited by RWTD; 06-23-2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:32 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default It may just be......

Originally Posted by bbster
Will you be doing tunes at Carlisle this year?

Thanks.

Hey man.... It just might be a few days premature to say public ally....but.....Chuck CoW of Corvettes of Westchester will be the "THE OFFICIAL TUNER of 2007 CORVETTES at CARLISLE"

So, yes....If I don't die in a horrible Jet Ski Accident this summer or "TUNE" myself to death here in the shop....I WILL BE TUNING AT CARLISLE THIS SUMMER!

STAY TUNED!
Chuck CoW
Old 06-23-2007, 02:09 PM
bbster
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Tune

Do i need to prearrange the tune? Or just show up

Thanks
Old 06-23-2007, 02:18 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Not really sure......

Originally Posted by bbster
Do i need to prearrange the tune? Or just show up

Thanks
We might decide to have a sign up sheet where you come in first come first serve, leave your cell # and we call you 20 mins prior to your appointment.... LAST YEAR WAS A ZOO! PEOPLE FIGHTING over who was first or who waited longer....

Hopefully, this year will be a sign up on the honor system and we will do our best to make every one happy.....

We'll post something soon!
Chuck CoW

Get notified of new replies

To MAIL ORDER TUNING by Chuck CoW

Quick Reply: MAIL ORDER TUNING by Chuck CoW