C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla Sport Muffler Install DIY - No 56k

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 05:19 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Borla Sport Muffler Install DIY - No 56k

If any of you are considering doing this yourself, here is what is involved.

Some tips before we get started.

* Things will definitely move along faster if you have a helper. That said, I did this one by myself.

* I have read people recommending removing the swaybar bushing mounts and rotating the swaybar down.
I purposely DID NOT do that to find out if that's really necessary. Well, it isn't but I'll tell you right now - its a TIGHT fit getting the OEM mufflers out of there. If you don't have enough clearance (as in the car isn't up high enough) chances are you can't do it this way and you may indeed have to rotate the swaybar. For me having the swaybar in place actually helped in the install process...more on that later.

* Also, some have suggested that removal of the midpipe may not be necessary if all you are doing is the rear muffler. I don't see how that is possible - but I'll admit my install wasn't typical...read on.

First thing - get it up in the air.
The rear was easy - a set of Race Ramps XTs get's it lifted 10".

For the front I made 2 bases out of some 4x4's and a board - total height was about 4".
No, I did not drive the car up there
Once the rear was on the ramps I jacked the front up and slid the bases under the tires.

This combination worked out great - I could easily roll under most of the car with the creeper. Note the wheel chocks on the rear wheel.

Remove the mid-pipe. Do this by loosening the rear clamps that hold the mid-pipe to the over-the-axle pipes. The clamps are welded on so there's no chance of loosing them.

Next, remove the nuts from the springs that hold the mid-pipe. Pop the studs out of the bracket so they don't hang it up later.

And finally, remove the nuts that hold the mid-pipe to the converter up front. Once removed, simply slide the collars back to clear the studs.

Pull back on the mid-pipe and clear the exhaust doughnuts up front and it should just drop down. Separating it from the over-the-axle pipes should only require you to slightly rock the pipe up and down / side to side while pulling forward and it should separate.
For me the passengers side pipe came out easily, the driver's side had a different idea. After much persuasion + a liberal spray of PB Blaster it reluctantly gave up it's ground very slowly.

It's out of there!

Mufflers awaiting extraction.

The only thing holding the mufflers in place now are the 'fingers' that engage in the rubber isolators in the back. To make things easier spray some lubricant on the nubs before trying to push them out. Once that's done just slide the fingers out, tilt the muffler down and pull it out.

One down....

Two Down. Looks better back there without the mufflers!

The new guy reporting for duty.

Remember when we lubed the rubber isolators to get the mufflers out? Well we are going to do the same to greatly aide getting this unit in.

I didn't want to get lube all over the place so I just sprayed some on a Q-Tip and used it to lube the isolators.

Don't forget to lube the nubs too.

Slide a clamp onto each inlet and then lift the muffler up and pop the nubs into each isolator.

In the beginning of this write-up I said that having the swaybar in place proved helpful for me - here's why.
The rear base of the muffler is now being supported by the swaybar (see picture). If the swaybar wasn't there I'm not sure what would hold it in place. I believe Borla's instructions state to install the over-the-axle pipes before mounting the muffler in place, maybe they would hold it but I didn't want to do that since it seemed I would also have to wrestle threading those pipes into place while mounting the muffler.

So far so good.

Slide the over-the-axle pipes onto the muffler (note they are marked LH / RH). When done it should look something like this.

Here's where things took a bit of a twist for me. When I tried to reinstall the mid-pipe it simply would not slide onto the drivers side over-the-axle pipe. I measured both with a caliper and it seemed that the Borla pipe was a bit oval in 1 axis the mid-pipe was a bit oval in the opposite axis.

I had to use a pipe expander to reshape the mid-pipe, after which the 2 pipes hesitantly fit together. I don't ever remember anyone mentioning this - so that's why I say this was not a typical install. Perhaps people that do this a lot take this sort of stuff for granted.

Once you have the over-the-axle and mid-pipe together loosely connect the mid-pipe up front - do not tighten anything at this time.

Look at how the exhaust tips align out back, also look at how the over-the-axle pipes are routed. Make sure everything is aligned and that nothing is touching the body/frame/axle/wires or anything else. While the pipes are loose make any adjustments that are necessary.
I found that as I was fitting the mid-pipe up front things out back shifted left to the point where 1 pipe was actually touching a heat shield. It took a while to get the alignment and clearance right.

When you are done here's what you end up with.

As for the sound....

If you want your Corvette to sound like a muscle car, this is it. At idle there's just a hint that this car has something different about it. Under 1,500 RPMs the difference is subtle but as you start climbing from there things get interesting, and your grin gets bigger. Let off the gas and it pops and gurgles but nothing obnoxious. Being a 6sp manual I found that I can keep it very quiet if I want to...but I'd rather make it roar!

That's it - now go forth and make some noise.

Last edited by LMB-C6; 05-31-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:26 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

outstanding diy post
Old 08-18-2007, 05:27 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Nice write up with pics. Any drone?
Old 08-18-2007, 05:43 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY
Very good write-up and drone . . . who cares? I don't notice any issues with mine.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:56 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NORTY
There is a little bit within a narrow RPM band. It's not that bad (IMO) but the advantage of having a manual transmission is I can get around that very easily.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:58 PM
SpankUU
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Post! It will help everyone doing this change out.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:03 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

nice photos and description. couple questions:
1/ Does putting the two mufflers sideways with the connecting piping result in excessive heat vs the stock straight through muffler setup?
2/ The sideways muffler arrangement is one of the reasons I didn't buy a C5. Do the 180 degree bends that make this sideways arrangement possible result in loss of hp?
3/ Why put mufflers in this direction and not straight through like stock and almost all other performance mufflers? This was necessary perhaps to replace the C5 muffler setup but why do it on the C6? Does the mfg claim this arrangement is superior to mufflers that line up front to rear?
Old 08-18-2007, 11:36 PM
ILLUSHN
Safety Car

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Excellent write up and photos!
Old 08-18-2007, 11:45 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OregonC6
nice photos and description. couple questions:
1/ Does putting the two mufflers sideways with the connecting piping result in excessive heat vs the stock straight through muffler setup?
1) This is a pretty compact package compared to the suitcases the factory installed. I would think there's plenty of airflow and clearance around there to keep things under control. I haven't heard of C6's melting the cargo area rug or anything like that so I assume heat isn't a problem.

2/ The sideways muffler arrangement is one of the reasons I didn't buy a C5. Do the 180 degree bends that make this sideways arrangement possible result in loss of hp?
2) I believe most of the C5 systems were designed as same side in/out, although there were a few exceptions. That means the exhaust has to be routed back 180 degrees to exit the muffler - I would think that's more restrictive.

For the C6 they are of a flow-through design - in one side, out the other, which should offer a less restrictive path. For all I know it's probably the same pipe in/out with some perforations in the 'can' just like sportbikes...at least in the 'stinger' model.

3/ Why put mufflers in this direction and not straight through like stock and almost all other performance mufflers? This was necessary perhaps to replace the C5 muffler setup but why do it on the C6? Does the mfg claim this arrangement is superior to mufflers that line up front to rear?
3) Only Borla can answer that one. But like I said, these are a flow through design so maybe it's not a problem.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:20 AM
JCGRCYA
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

Great write up. I just installed GHL's on mine yesterday. I was also installing Pfadt sway bars so taking out the stock one was obviously necessary. I also removed the mid pipe and it sure made things a lot easier.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:24 AM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 595 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

Nice writeup
Old 08-19-2007, 12:34 AM
RRVettes
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Nicely done!! Thanks for taking the extra time required to document the process and post.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:42 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys
Old 08-21-2007, 09:59 PM
vette05
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the write-up. That's going to help me a lot.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:09 PM
ChRpin VETT
Racer

How many clamps should there be? im about to buy a used borla sport system from Got Boost_C6
Old 08-21-2007, 10:12 PM
JohnNC
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Two
Old 08-21-2007, 10:14 PM
ChRpin VETT
Racer

hes got seven i was thinkin there should be eight. Im buying it with the X pipe

Get notified of new replies

To Borla Sport Muffler Install DIY - No 56k

Old 08-22-2007, 09:32 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ChRpin VETT
How many clamps should there be? im about to buy a used borla sport system from Got Boost_C6
If it's just the muffler there are 2 (circled in red). When the over-the-axle pipes are mounted these hold the muffler and pipes together. I'm not sure about the 'full' cat-back system with X-pipe.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:49 AM
redrokit8
Racer

Thanks!
It appears that the biggest hassle is being on your back?
Kind of puts the "lift" into proper perspective.
This was a great post for the 90% of us who don't have easy access to a lift.
Fantastic job
Old 08-23-2007, 11:30 AM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Borla Sport Muffler Install DIY - No 56k