C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmaster "dissection"

Old 09-06-2007, 10:00 AM
BuzzKiller06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flowmaster "dissection"

Hey and good morning,
I own a C6 07 and am thinking of adding a flowmaster muffler system for a better sound. The person doing the muffler "dissection" is an experienced Corvette muffler mechanic and does great work. He would cut off the existing stock muffler and do some welding of the Flowmasters, cut the existing tips and re-weld. Does anyone have any experience with a "dissection" and does the flowmaster sound better than the stock exhaust?
Old 09-06-2007, 10:24 AM
NappysVette
Pro

Unlike many other Vette owners, I happen to like the Flowmaster Sound over all others. I love the Flowmaster Deep Drone when paired to an LT or LSX.

I did the swap on my C5, perfect fit. Will do on my LS3 as soon as it gets here.

Question, why would you cut off the Tips? You are talking about a normal swap rand not a science project, right?
Old 09-06-2007, 10:25 AM
David Garren
Burning Brakes

I did it with Magnaflows and love them. Looks stock with a little rumble to them.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzKiller06
Hey and good morning,
I own a C6 07 and am thinking of adding a flowmaster muffler system for a better sound. The person doing the muffler "dissection" is an experienced Corvette muffler mechanic and does great work. He would cut off the existing stock muffler and do some welding of the Flowmasters, cut the existing tips and re-weld. Does anyone have any experience with a "dissection" and does the flowmaster sound better than the stock exhaust?
I've Flowmaster American Thunder dual tips.
Like 'em just fine, best of all the things didn't cost an arm & leg.

One thing though, my '06 MZ6 required no cutting or welding of anything, just bolted right in.
Maybe it's the A4-A6 and/or '07/'08 requiring cutting?
Old 09-06-2007, 10:48 AM
LS2-Zomb!e
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Landru

One thing though, my '06 MZ6 required no cutting or welding of anything, just bolted right in.
No cutting required.
I have 06 A6 with American Thunder
Old 09-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Landru
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dashti
No cutting required. I have 06 A6 with American Thunder
Interesting.
Wonder why the OP's wrench is cutting good pipe?
Old 09-06-2007, 11:40 AM
jogar80
Melting Slicks

I dont think he's planning on using the actual system offered by Flowmaster. He's talking about cutting off his stock cans and welding in a set of flowmaster universal mufflers, then welding the stock tips onto those. This has been done with magnaflow universal mufflers by many people. No need to buy a complete system if you dont mind some cutting and welding.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Landru
Race Director

Originally Posted by jogar80
I dont think he's planning on using the actual system offered by Flowmaster. He's talking about cutting off his stock cans and welding in a set of flowmaster universal mufflers, then welding the stock tips onto those. This has been done with magnaflow universal mufflers by many people. No need to buy a complete system if you dont mind some cutting and welding.
I see.
Thanks for the explaination George.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:52 PM
SMACK3030
Advanced

Just got a new flowmaster muffler that has only been out for about 6m (from what I was told) cant remember the name. Sounds so much better than normal flowmaster and I was told that with all the newer cars having cat back exhaust it was created to flow better than the older american thunders. Can sounds nasty. Does have bad drone at 2k though, has some pops and crackles on down shift (I like) but sounds down riht nasty from 2500-6500. They cut my tips off and rewelded them to the new muffler. Looks perfect
Old 09-06-2007, 02:59 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jogar80
Most likely.. No need to save the stock one.. Besides.. most people can't give away stock systems after the car has been out a couple of years..
Old 09-07-2007, 08:34 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru

I had flowmasters installed by Mienake muffler , on my 07 C6, for 75 bucks, took them 50 minutes.....no cutting bolted on love the sound & great price , previosly had flowmasters on my 90 convertable nice burble .... Flowmasters worked for me. the Dog

Last edited by StrayDog; 09-07-2007 at 08:37 AM. Reason: 07 c6c
Old 09-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Landru
Race Director

Originally Posted by StrayDog
I had flowmasters installed by Mienake muffler , on my 07 C6, for 75 bucks, took them 50 minutes.....no cutting bolted on love the sound & great price , previosly had flowmasters on my 90 convertable nice burble ... Flowmasters worked for me. the Dog

Yup, you gottit dog.
Louder than stock while not obnoxious, perfect for my needs.
Resonance passed the "wife test" even, it's that minor.

Sounds like you got a deal on the install at $75.
I went to a small independent shop.
The owner-wrench took one look at the C6 & it said $100, never blinked.

"Corvette Tax" strikes, again!!

Get notified of new replies

To Flowmaster "dissection"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flowmaster "dissection"