C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gm Warranty Scam ???????

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 01:19 AM
lewmel
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Gm Warranty Scam ???????

Hey guys i need your help, I have an 05 with 8850 miles on it, and the 3 year warranty is about to expire next month. So i went to my local dealer to purchase an extended warranty. But upon reviewing the contract it stated "to purchase from Dealer a Vehicle Service Contract issued by Universal Warranty Corp" . The dealer was trying to charge me full GM prices for this warranty. Is this the genuine GM warranty or is it a scam to pay full price for an aftermarket product? I have contacted Dennis to get a quote, but would like your input.
Thanks so much
Old 09-08-2007, 01:22 AM
User 020720
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't sound like a GMPP to me.

Might be legit but I wouldn't buy it.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:38 AM
71stang99
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The prices I have seen are insane, I contacted one of the forum dealers on the price and it was very high, I in my opinion cannot see paying those prices when a newer Vette has 100k warrenty and the cost of the car is almost the same. Mod Away
Old 09-08-2007, 05:16 AM
beefsvet
Heel & Toe

Default extended waranty

Originally Posted by lewmel
Hey guys i need your help, I have an 05 with 8850 miles on it, and the 3 year warranty is about to expire next month. So i went to my local dealer to purchase an extended warranty. But upon reviewing the contract it stated "to purchase from Dealer a Vehicle Service Contract issued by Universal Warranty Corp" . The dealer was trying to charge me full GM prices for this warranty. Is this the genuine GM warranty or is it a scam to pay full price for an aftermarket product? I have contacted Dennis to get a quote, but would like your input.
Thanks so much
I have a 2005 in the same situation 14,549mi. I purchased a 4yrs. 32,000. 0 ded. for $975.00. BEEF
Old 09-08-2007, 07:01 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

That does not sound like a GMPP to me and as far as I'm concerned, anything other than a GMPP isn't worth the paper it is printed on. Send an email to forum dealer Dennis Fichtner at gmpp@fichtnerchevrolet.com and give him the in service date of your car, the VIN and the mileage and let him give you a quote. You will be surprised.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:26 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
That does not sound like a GMPP to me and as far as I'm concerned, anything other than a GMPP isn't worth the paper it is printed on. Send an email to forum dealer Dennis Fichtner at gmpp@fichtnerchevrolet.com and give him the in service date of your car, the VIN and the mileage and let him give you a quote. You will be surprised.
I'm going with Dennis durning my 35th month, next March.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:57 AM
0CeYaBye
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually got a Saturday off so to everyone who is emailing me today I will answer on Monday, Be Patient doing about 200-250 emails a day in Sept.

Thanks for the referrals from everyone!!!!

Dennis Fichtner
gmpp@fichtnerchevrolet.com
Old 09-08-2007, 12:56 PM
lewmel
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone for their input, i dropped Dennis an email, so i will see what he says on Monday, for now i am going to call Chevy direct and ask about this Universal Warranty Corp stuff.
Thanks again
Old 09-08-2007, 01:13 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Many GM dealers are pushing no name warranties because of the big profit margins. They usually claim they are as good or better than GMPP when in fact they are not. Many dealers will only accept GMPP because of problems in being paid by other products. Many times the no name guys require prior approval and are slow to pay.

I went with Dennis Fictner. He matched the best price I could find and I had the papers from him and the policy from GM in less than ONE week.

BJK
Old 09-08-2007, 01:18 PM
DarthStimpy
Melting Slicks

yep. I got my gmpp from Dennis Fichtner.

You know it's GM cause you get a little GMPP card with all your info on it.
Like a health care card for your car.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Carnac
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 70 Posts

Default Agree - Dennis Fichtner is the best...

I was very happy with the GMPP that I got through Dennis. The price was great compared the local dealer. Transaction couldn't have been smoother. Used my credit card and had paperwork from GM in a couple of days. Added benefit - no sales tax (out of state purchase). If you want an extended warranty, the only way that makes sense is GMPP and Dennis is an excellent way to purchase. Cheers - Jim
Old 09-08-2007, 01:26 PM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New flash. Dealer tries to deceptively sell overpriced product.

In other news, the sun set in the west today.

If you specifically told the dealer you anted to buy a GMPP, then you have a legitimate complaint.

If you asked for an extended "warranty", then any high profit POS he choose to shove your way met your request and you don't have legitimate complaint.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:40 PM
redrokit8
Racer

This is an "Aftermarket Warranty" that is underwritten by a independent insuring company.
I think the reason the dealer is promoting it is because it is much more profitable than a GM product and because it is too late to purchase a genuine GM warranty. It is my understanding that you can only purchase a genuine GM warranty within the first 12 months of the new car warranty. After that the only way to get the real deal is to buy a used vehicle from a dealer and it can be certified with a GM warranty.
So the independent / aftermarket is the only choice you have unless you have a good friend who has a Chevy dealership who would buy your car, certify it and then sell it back to you as a fresh "certified" deal. Yes, this can and has been done!!!
Old 09-08-2007, 01:58 PM
california91207
Racer

Originally Posted by redrokit8
It is my understanding that you can only purchase a genuine GM warranty within the first 12 months of the new car warranty. After that the only way to get the real deal is to buy a used vehicle from a dealer and it can be certified with a GM warranty.
You can purchase a GMPP any time while the original warranty is in force. After that, don't buy the car if you can't add a GMPP Major Guard.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:00 PM
Carnac
Drifting

Default GMPP available until factory warranty expires...

You can get a GMPP extended warranty (GM) until your original warranty expires (36 months / 36,000 miles on pre-2007 cars).

I just purchased GMPP for my 05 with 35 months since in-service date (and just over 12k miles).

The price is lower if purchased prior to 12 months/12k miles, but you can absolutely buy anytime until the original warranty expires.

I do not know how GMPP would work with the new longer warranty on the 2007s and up. GMPP does cover a lot more than just the drive train.

Cheers - Jim
Old 09-08-2007, 04:35 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnac
You can get a GMPP extended warranty (GM) until your original warranty expires (36 months / 36,000 miles on pre-2007 cars).

I just purchased GMPP for my 05 with 35 months since in-service date (and just over 12k miles).

The price is lower if purchased prior to 12 months/12k miles, but you can absolutely buy anytime until the original warranty expires.

I do not know how GMPP would work with the new longer warranty on the 2007s and up. GMPP does cover a lot more than just the drive train.

Cheers - Jim
They have adjusted the prices downward to allow for the free longer drive train warranty.

BJK
Old 09-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Carnac
Drifting

Default One other advantage of GMPP...

GMPP is transferable. Can really help on the resale value if you decide to get a newer Vette

You can also get a portion pro-rated back to you if you sell the car without transferring the GMPP.

Some non-GM warranties say they do the same, but I had problems with one I had back years ago (for a Toyota). Never again. My son just got a used Jetta and purchased an extended warranty (non-factory) and so far, no coverage for a fuel control ($600). So, I am still not impressed and would never recommend an extended warranty other than factory backed. Even then, you may be better off with just paying for stuff when it breaks. Its when the big stuff goes that the extended warranty is nice (A/C, transmission, engine, air bags, electronics).

Cheers - Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Gm Warranty Scam ???????

Old 09-08-2007, 05:42 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,579 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Universal Warranty Corp https://www.universalwarranty.com/mi...alHomePage.jsp

is NOT GMPP. Run away and do like Talon90 suggests
Old 09-08-2007, 06:04 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnac
GMPP is transferable. Can really help on the resale value if you decide to get a newer Vette

You can also get a portion pro-rated back to you if you sell the car without transferring the GMPP.

Some non-GM warranties say they do the same, but I had problems with one I had back years ago (for a Toyota). Never again. My son just got a used Jetta and purchased an extended warranty (non-factory) and so far, no coverage for a fuel control ($600). So, I am still not impressed and would never recommend an extended warranty other than factory backed. Even then, you may be better off with just paying for stuff when it breaks. Its when the big stuff goes that the extended warranty is nice (A/C, transmission, engine, air bags, electronics).

Cheers - Jim
I agree with the highlighted part. Even the GM extended warranty is priced to turn a large profit. The odds of getting your money's worth from it are small.

In the newer cars, the engine, transmission, and differential are covered for 100k anyway, emissions related parts for 80k. Air bag replacement will be covered by collision insurance. It is rare for electronics to fail after it survives the 12 month 12,000 mile basic warranty period. Most electronics fails by infant mortality, or abuse. Abuse isn't covered by the extended waranty either. Electrical problems in older cars are usually just that, electrical problems with connectors, ground points, chafed wires, etc. Those are inexpensive to repair (provided you're smart enough to avoid being ripped off by incompetent dealerships). That parenthetical thought applies to most repairs BTW. You can pay a fortune for a repair, or you can get it done very reasonably, depending on who you have do the work. The parts are generally common and cheap (with a few exceptions) if you know where to buy them. It is the shop labor rates that can kill you if you aren't a smart consumer.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:56 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 322 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by lewmel
Thanks everyone for their input, i dropped Dennis an email, so i will see what he says on Monday, for now i am going to call Chevy direct and ask about this Universal Warranty Corp stuff.
Thanks again

Anything other than GMPP is a crapshoot. Dennis will take care of you at a great price. I haven't had to use mine yet but its good peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Gm Warranty Scam ???????