C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NPP flap stuck open on my '08

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

Jeez........

Can't anyone get along on this site anymore?

A lot of "thin skin" right now. Is it the full moon we just had?
Old 09-27-2007, 06:34 PM
rulez
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette SSX
I have to ask the opposite question. Why is it that people who have it don't consider it a gimmick? It is a gimmick (and a thinly veiled attempt by GM to both meet manufacturer exhaust noise level limts and grab some of the aftermarket exhaust profits). Other things mentioned are also gimmicks such as e pushbutton start, keyless entry, NAV, indexing windows (that are, IMO, another Rube Goldberg solution for air leaks around windows), and many other features/options.
I'll answer. I don't consider it a gimmick because I can hear it, and it transforms the exhaust sounds to the way I think a corvette should sound. I'm also glad I don't feel like I must replace the exhaust to get that sound. Kudos to GM for their "thinly veiled attempt". I know some people will want an aftermarket exhaust anyway, so I wouldn't expect them to get NPP. That would be a waste. It's fine for me.

Adding this switch for the NPP is on my mod list for sure. I'd love to be able to turn the exhaust note volume up and down anytime I like.

NPP might be a gimmick to those that don't care about the sound, but it does perform a function. You would have to be deaf not to notice it.

See a definition of gimmick here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimmick

A gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use. Thus, a gimmick is a special feature for the sake of having a special feature.

None of the features you mention qualify (in the terms shown above) as gimmicks IMO.

I love the keyless entry and pushbutton start. I never have to fumble with keys. It's a great feature many other cars have now. No way is this a gimmick.

The built-in NAV means I don't have to clutter up my dash with a power cable, and worry about the extra mount for the GPS. It's also integrated with the HUD which I really like. I use the NAV a lot, and used the mounted NAV I had in my 05 a lot. I'd much rather have one in the dash than stuck to my windshield, or taking up space in the cabin. If you use one all the time, a built-in NAV is really nice. If you don't use one, it would be a waste of money. Not a gimmick though.

I don't think anyone with a vert would consider the indexing windows a gimmick. I don't have one (vert), but I still like the clean design. There are no air leaks around my windows, so they do function. Not a gimmick either.

I tried to come up with some things I thought were gimmicks; Maybe the self-latching hatch/trunk lid, but I like that feature too.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Jet Stream
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it's all how we choose to look at it. To me there is no value in any of these items that have replaced perfectly good, working solutions to the problems they supposedly fixed. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:55 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Not having a coupe, if that self-latching rear glass is the kind that softly latches and pulls down to lock electronically, I've seen it before. On Cadillac. About 15 years ago.

My understanding from talking with Cad in Detroit was they did it as a "feature". Maybe it was just one of those gimcracks and gew-gaws, but if you've owned other "hatchbacks" esp the ones with heavy glass, you'll know about this. Almost every one I've owned, the latch probably because of its weight, eventually moves the plate or hook. Just from getting banged and slammed (quite unlike door latches which, for some reason, appear to be more sturdily anchored).

The unexpected outcome was that, the latches and strike plates (oh no! not another comment on THE STRIKE!!!), no longer got dislodged or moved! It was a win, but I doubt it was intentional. It just seemed like a neat feature that the engineers and/or designers came up with for a luxury car at the time, Cadillac.

PS Lincoln followed not long after.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:11 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

I didn't realize I was insulting anyone. But I guess you were insulted by my not being impressed with an option you chose. So, I apologize. You're happy with what you have and that's great. We all have our opinions. I'll try to be kinder and more gentle in my responses to your posts.

Being impressed and keeping your feelings to yourself are two different things. I didn't say, "Hey are you impressed with my NPP? Let me know your thoughts on the matter" .

Just like you didn't say "hey, I bolted a bunch of interior and exterior bling on my C5 and called it a Corvette SS. Are you impressed" ? Since you were happy with what you had, I think that was great too. It just wasn't for me. But since you didn't ask for my opinion, I didn't say it was a gimmick. I just kept my feelings to myself. It's called being polite. After all, this is a Corvette enthusiast board where the intent is to enjoy our Corvettes together.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:15 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
Being impressed and keeping your feelings to yourself are two different things. I didn't say, "Hey are you impressed with my NPP? Let me know your thoughts on the matter" .

Just like you didn't say "hey, I bolted a bunch of interior and exterior bling on my C5 and called it a Corvette SS. Are you impressed" ? Since you were happy with what you had, I think that was great too. It just wasn't for me. But since you didn't ask for my opinion, I didn't say it was a gimmick. I just kept my feelings to myself. It's called being polite. After all, this is a Corvette enthusiast board where the intent is to enjoy our Corvettes together.
...no matter how different we may be, and no matter how different our Corvettes may be.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:17 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by AORoads
...no matter how different we may be, and no matter how different our Corvettes may be.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:28 PM
entwood
Pro

Originally Posted by Jet Stream
Old 09-27-2007, 08:10 PM
adias
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
Jeez........

Can't anyone get along on this site anymore?

A lot of "thin skin" right now. Is it the full moon we just had?
That's unfortunately a characteristic of many on this forum. Few are open to positive criticism.

In my learning of all things Corvette I had a tough time. I endured and do respect the new C6 and may buy one, but often my questions were answered with a negative attitudes.

I found however a few forum members who know the car, and are open to comparos and useful discussions.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:40 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Corvette SSX, I apologize for my comments. I took it too far. I love my NPP, but this is a discussion forum where all things Corvette can be discussed.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:43 PM
Corvette SSX
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Corvette SSX, I apologize for my comments. I took it too far. I love my NPP, but this is a discussion forum where all things Corvette can be discussed.

No hard feelings. Just trying to enjoy a good debate. No one is right, no one is wrong. Just differing opinions.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:36 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

absolutely right, a gimmick would be some of the crazy stuff you see on Pimp my ride. These things are not gimmicks in the least.

Originally Posted by rulez
I'll answer. I don't consider it a gimmick because I can hear it, and it transforms the exhaust sounds to the way I think a corvette should sound. I'm also glad I don't feel like I must replace the exhaust to get that sound. Kudos to GM for their "thinly veiled attempt". I know some people will want an aftermarket exhaust anyway, so I wouldn't expect them to get NPP. That would be a waste. It's fine for me.

Adding this switch for the NPP is on my mod list for sure. I'd love to be able to turn the exhaust note volume up and down anytime I like.

NPP might be a gimmick to those that don't care about the sound, but it does perform a function. You would have to be deaf not to notice it.

See a definition of gimmick here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimmick

A gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use. Thus, a gimmick is a special feature for the sake of having a special feature.

None of the features you mention qualify (in the terms shown above) as gimmicks IMO.

I love the keyless entry and pushbutton start. I never have to fumble with keys. It's a great feature many other cars have now. No way is this a gimmick.

The built-in NAV means I don't have to clutter up my dash with a power cable, and worry about the extra mount for the GPS. It's also integrated with the HUD which I really like. I use the NAV a lot, and used the mounted NAV I had in my 05 a lot. I'd much rather have one in the dash than stuck to my windshield, or taking up space in the cabin. If you use one all the time, a built-in NAV is really nice. If you don't use one, it would be a waste of money. Not a gimmick though.

I don't think anyone with a vert would consider the indexing windows a gimmick. I don't have one (vert), but I still like the clean design. There are no air leaks around my windows, so they do function. Not a gimmick either.

I tried to come up with some things I thought were gimmicks; Maybe the self-latching hatch/trunk lid, but I like that feature too.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:41 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by adias
That's unfortunately a characteristic of many on this forum. Few are open to positive criticism.

In my learning of all things Corvette I had a tough time. I endured and do respect the new C6 and may buy one, but often my questions were answered with a negative attitudes.

I found however a few forum members who know the car, and are open to comparos and useful discussions.
Hmm, I dunno. I've been on, and watched even more different makes' forums. Seems to me the people on this forum are pretty tame.

It is possible tho to get them riled up. I believe it's all in the manner one approaches things for discussion.

Truly, adias, there are some really attitude-challenged people who seem to let it all flow out under the hiding of the internet. I don't recall your posts being among them in my opinion.

Most people writing on this or other forums don't ck their spelling, grammar, or intent. They just "let it all fly". That's fine when you're staring someone in the face and they can see not only your lips moving but watch and "hear" the rest of you. It doesn't work always in just the written word.

For instance, right now I'm really angry with you but you can't tell.

j/k see what I mean?
Old 09-28-2007, 12:13 AM
Jet Stream
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AORoads
Not having a coupe, if that self-latching rear glass is the kind that softly latches and pulls down to lock electronically, I've seen it before. On Cadillac. About 15 years ago.

My understanding from talking with Cad in Detroit was they did it as a "feature". Maybe it was just one of those gimcracks and gew-gaws, but if you've owned other "hatchbacks" esp the ones with heavy glass, you'll know about this. Almost every one I've owned, the latch probably because of its weight, eventually moves the plate or hook. Just from getting banged and slammed (quite unlike door latches which, for some reason, appear to be more sturdily anchored).

The unexpected outcome was that, the latches and strike plates (oh no! not another comment on THE STRIKE!!!), no longer got dislodged or moved! It was a win, but I doubt it was intentional. It just seemed like a neat feature that the engineers and/or designers came up with for a luxury car at the time, Cadillac.

PS Lincoln followed not long after.
I had the power hatch pull down on my 1987 Firebird. Im told they added it to C6 because people were slamming the hatch to hard on C5s and cracking the door. Cadillac introduced that feature in the late 70s its nothing new.

Last edited by Jet Stream; 09-28-2007 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:27 AM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

My '86 IROC-Z had the power pull down hatch. My friend had an '85 IROC-Z that didn't have it. He shattered his back glass by slamming it down too hard when he had a Christmas tree (that was too big) in the back. Granted, the tree was part of the problem, but a pull down might have gently pulled it down and not shattered.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:20 AM
HOTSOSS
Burning Brakes

ugh, did anyone ever figure out why the exhaust flapper valves stuck open? Isn't that what this topic was about?
Old 09-28-2007, 06:36 PM
08 Crystal Red
Racer

I just finished reading all this stuff -- WHEW!! Now my head hurts - and I was just going to go play with my gimmicks!

Get notified of new replies

To NPP flap stuck open on my '08

Old 09-28-2007, 09:43 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by 08 Crystal Red
I just finished reading all this stuff -- WHEW!! Now my head hurts - and I was just going to go play with my gimmicks!
Be sure to wash your hands when you're done
Old 09-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My '86 IROC-Z had the power pull down hatch. My friend had an '85 IROC-Z that didn't have it. He shattered his back glass by slamming it down too hard when he had a Christmas tree (that was too big) in the back. Granted, the tree was part of the problem, but a pull down might have gently pulled it down and not shattered.
My '92 Anniversary Edition had the power pull down too, but the '01 Forumula and '02 Z28 did not
Old 09-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VatorMan
I guess C3's with their vacuum actuated headlights were a gimmick then.
Well, since you brought it up.....

You have to admit, you haven't seen pneumatic actuated headlights since then have you?

No gimmicks on my car, Stingers all the way!

Quick Reply: NPP flap stuck open on my '08