C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer hit my C6 while in the service dept.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 05:51 PM
savello
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer hit my C6 while in the service dept.

I need some help I just got a call today from Walker Chevrolet in Franklin, TN where I had my C6 towed for the 4th time!!! for the same non-start issue and they tell me that one of the service techs had backed into my car. I went over to the dealer and met with the GM and the service manager, They tell me that they are sorry and they wanted to know where i would like it to be fixed. Now this is an '05 with 8k mi. on it the color is Magnetic Red and prior to this there was not one scratch on it. What should i do??? I know that this will reduce the value of it, but by how much?? Should i press them to buy it at high retail and sell me an '08 at invoice?? Should i get a lawyer involved?? Oh P.S. they still have not fixed the non start issue. I will try to post the pics i took on my Phone.

Last edited by savello; 10-10-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:55 PM
patpprice
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good opportunity to get an 08 at a good deal! You can insist on repair + "diminished value" from their insurance company. Maybe one of the guys that has done this will chime in. I've heard about "diminshed value" on this forum. Me personally, I would go after a good deal on an 08 and make the absolute most out of a bad situation. Good luck!!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Jet Stream
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep thats what I would do. Get the 08
Old 10-10-2007, 05:58 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 509 Likes on 293 Posts

I doubt that will qualify for diminished value be realistic the bumper is plastic for gods sake have it repainted at a quality place and move on. Your car is also probably to old for the lemon law sad to say
Old 10-10-2007, 06:02 PM
JC7
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by patpprice
Sounds like a good opportunity to get an 08 at a good deal! You can insist on repair + "diminished value" from their insurance company. Maybe one of the guys that has done this will chime in. I've heard about "diminshed value" on this forum. Me personally, I would go after a good deal on an 08 and make the absolute most out of a bad situation. Good luck!!!!
Cry "96 tears" Dont settle for less, if you do, thats what your going to get...
Old 10-10-2007, 06:04 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you got them by the ***** so take advantage of it. They damage your car,a Mag Red Vette not made anymore. Have them fix and paint it at a place of your choice or get a great deal on an 08.
I would choose the latter.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:05 PM
entwood
Pro

Does not look serious enough for strong diminished value. Start out straight forward but polite. Let them make some offers. Did you buy it there, do you know a salesman? I would not mention lawyer until you have a consult with one. 08 would be sweet. Best of luck you earned it.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:11 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Try and work a deal for an 08.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:14 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

It looks like a good body shop should be able to make it look like new. The problem is the paint match. I have Mag Red also and my new roof was painted twice and still is not a perfect match.

ps: It's against Home Depot rules to ride on a cart.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:14 PM
savello
Cruising

Originally Posted by entwood
Does not look serious enough for strong diminished value. Start out straight forward but polite. Let them make some offers. Did you buy it there, do you know a salesman? I would not mention lawyer until you have a consult with one. 08 would be sweet. Best of luck you earned it.
I did not buy the car there and i dont know any salesman, I already told them that i was not happy with getting it fixed. Mag red is a hard color to blend and its not just he rear bumper its also the Right rear quarter panel. I don't care what anyone says I would bet that 99% of the people on this board can tell when a car has been painted and if you came across a vette with right rear quarter damage one might think it was being hot roded and fish tailed into a curb, wall, another car ETC...
Old 10-10-2007, 06:15 PM
savello
Cruising

Originally Posted by VET4LES
ps: It's against Home Depot rules to ride on a cart.

i forget you guys can see all my pics
Old 10-10-2007, 06:18 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

Some of you guys crack me up, thats a bumper and a fender, otherwise known as "been in an accident" Good luck trying to sell that thing. Even dealers take off for "been in an accident" You think the private party you sell it to is gonna listen to your story on what happened? You know how many lies are told everyday about "been in an accident"?

Seriously, I would probably just have them fix it, but make sure you rape them for a diminished value amount, because you will now be raped when you sell it. Just the share amount of extra hassle you will go through trying to sell a car thats "been in an accident" will make it easier to trade it in.

You are probably better to get them to take it for an 08 but thats lots more money out of your pocket. I think about 6K diminished value might be reasonable. Because dealers give a lot less than private party.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:19 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,957 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

don't get all crazy about it. a) they're not going to buy it from you at a high price just because they hit it. they will fix it, or pay to have it fixed. so find a good shop. b) unless you have something else on them, they're not going to go really low on a new '08.

but you do have a good suggestion or point: ask them the question.

"look, I've had issues with this car, and now THIS. how about we work a deal---you take this car at full value trade, and give me a super deal on an '08. both parts will make up for my extended number of visits for the same issue and for my car being hit. you can surely get it fixed less expensively than I can."

of course, you won't hem and haw. you'll go in KNOWING YOUR NUMBERS for A) what your car is REALLY worth, not some high number from one of the fairy tale services, and B) you will know every number for what you want on an '08, base, msrp, invoice, options and same for them.

armed with that knowledge, you CAN make a deal, at least on your end. but expect one thing: you will take a bath on the car. that is a fact of life.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:20 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by savello
I did not buy the car there and i dont know any salesman, I already told them that i was not happy with getting it fixed. Mag red is a hard color to blend and its not just he rear bumper its also the Right rear quarter panel. I don't care what anyone says I would bet that 99% of the people on this board can tell when a car has been painted and if you came across a vette with right rear quarter damage one might think it was being hot roded and fish tailed into a curb, wall, another car ETC...
if done right and blended properly, no one will tell, BUT, they have to want to do it right. My friend owned a body shop and sprayed my 97 eclipse door with metallic green pain 17 times to make it perfect. He was scraping the paint off, doing it again, etc until it was right because we are perfectionists. I doubt most people will go to those lengths. Many body shops do close enough and tell you to live with it.

But even if done right and no one can tell by looking at it, its still relatively easy to tell for someone that wants to know.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:21 PM
UNKNOWN
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

4 th no start tow,

stir in lemon law too

if still under warantee

get a lawyer
Old 10-10-2007, 06:22 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

I had a 2006 that was hit when only 1 week old. They are required to repair it with "like and kind" parts, which means they should use new or almost new parts for your car plus you can choose the repair facility. You are also entitled to a diminished value amount. You will have to find an appraiser that specializes in this area and pay him to do the appraisal. The amount will depend on the severity of the damage.

I had a prepaid legal service, so I did not hire a lawyer. I would recommend you at least consult an attorney if the damage is severe.

Last edited by Vito.A; 10-10-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:26 PM
heisnuts
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 463 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by entwood

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer hit my C6 while in the service dept.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:33 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 578 Likes on 351 Posts

it's a three year old car. it's a bumper cover/quarter panel. i know that it was "perfect" but it isn't now. what would you settle for if it was damaged in a parking lot with no idea who did it????? if your answer is sell it and get a new car then do that. if the cover/panel is replaced/painted properly 99% of the lookers would not be able to tell. factory panels don't allways match. painting/replacing a bumper cover is not a diminished value "accident". i know that you are pissed. i would be too. it's a bumber cover/quarter panel, not totaled. good luck.

Last edited by jimmie jam; 10-10-2007 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:35 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

I've seen two people mention bumper cover, how come you guys seem to miss the right quarter that is damaged?
Old 10-10-2007, 06:42 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 578 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by robl45
I've seen two people mention bumper cover, how come you guys seem to miss the right quarter that is damaged?
sorry, my bad.:o :o :o my comment is the same. just add quarter panel.

Quick Reply: Dealer hit my C6 while in the service dept.