C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SoCal is BURNING. So is my Vette

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 08:42 PM
Zozzie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a retired firefighter I know you should take only things that are not replacable (photos, momentos etc) and leave the stuff that insurance will replace. They make new stuff every day.

Edit - as a fire captain I've stood on the sidewalk with many people as their house and most of their possessions burned. I've given lots of comfort and let them know they have what truly matters - themselves, their family, their pets and their irreplacable stuff. Even though I've witnessed it countless times I can't imagine what they were going through at the time but we must draw a line between what truly matters and what doesn't.

My heart goes out to those in CA and their plight. You're on our news in Canada nightly.

Last edited by Zozzie; 10-23-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:53 PM
markabc6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

blame Bush...Gov, local units

Get Red Cross card, new truck, new vette, new house, case of beer...

only

Shame on me for attempting to make fun of unfortunate circumstances that "might" have occurred at a different time and/or place...and I certainly wish no ill will against anyone or anything
Some things can be replaced, you cannot
<although come to think of it...I think I heard a boss one time say...never mind>
sorry, I'm major sarcastic tonight

Seriously, get "irreplaceables" into the truck and get the heck out of harm's way!! <and pickup anyone without means along the way>

thoughts and prayers to all suffering and to those watching in horror.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:20 PM
blkc6z51
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dpenate
take the truck - use the insurance to buy an 08
Old 10-23-2007, 10:23 PM
debo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
That's a tough one. If I were out there, I think I would try and get the vette to a safe place and go back and wait for the evac order.
That would be my plan. You've got the warning now about fires spreading, take the opportunity now to get the vette to a safe place, then when more news on evac order follow you can leave with what you need in your truck.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:28 PM
UNKNOWN
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I'd buy cigarettes I guess, don't need a lighter
Old 10-23-2007, 10:31 PM
GRR1968
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zozzie
As a retired firefighter I know you should take only things that are not replacable (photos, momentos etc) and leave the stuff that insurance will replace. They make new stuff every day.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:32 PM
Atomic Orange
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy a 2 wheel car dolly if you can (it's cheaper than a trailer) and haul the Vette. Or call your friendly U-Haul people and offer to help them evacuate one of their car dollies. Hope all works out well for you.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:34 PM
SpankUU
Drifting

Move the vette now before you are forced to leave. Then load the truck and take everything that you can fit and can't be replaced. Why wait?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:41 PM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I can answer this question from direct experience. I live in Santa Clarita, CA (yes the city all over the news) and we were given the mandatory evacuation notice yesterday mid-morning.

My first priority was to get my family and important items loaded into our SUV. The second priority was to get the hell out of there as quickly and safely as possible. I did not want to drive two cars out for fear my wife, with the kids, would run into some kind of trouble or we would lose each other.

Funny enough my family and friends all asked about the Vette and what I did. I was surprised by that. I didn't give a damn about the Vette. I have insurance for a reason. When the you know what hits the fan, you'd be surprised at what is no longer all that important. You also find out (or reaffirm) what is.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:43 PM
wayne lowry
Melting Slicks

I would take the truck and things that are not as easily replaced. A C6 is a great car as we all know but it's not like you can't go down to the Chevy dealer and buy another one with the insurance money. Family pictures documents etc are not as easily upgraded. Good Luck I hope it doesn't come to that. If you can find a trailer that would be even better though as you can use the Corvette as a closet.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:58 PM
SCModerator
Racer

Originally Posted by wratran
rent a 2 wheel (dolly) trailer and tow your vette with the truck...uhaul has it
ABSOLUTELY. I was going to say the same thing. It will cost you little and at least you'll be prepared. Besides, you can pack the Corvette full of more stuff. You'll have to go slow because of the ground clearance issues at the rear I think, but at least you can move it. Might be worth a set of scuffed exhaust tips.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:13 PM
0Airbrush Inc
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by S2K
I can answer this question from direct experience. I live in Santa Clarita, CA (yes the city all over the news) and we were given the mandatory evacuation notice yesterday mid-morning.

My first priority was to get my family and important items loaded into our SUV. The second priority was to get the hell out of there as quickly and safely as possible. I did not want to drive two cars out for fear my wife, with the kids, would run into some kind of trouble or we would lose each other.

Funny enough my family and friends all asked about the Vette and what I did. I was surprised by that. I didn't give a damn about the Vette. I have insurance for a reason. When the you know what hits the fan, you'd be surprised at what is no longer all that important. You also find out (or reaffirm) what is.
Very well put.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:17 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dpenate
take the truck - use the insurance to buy an 08
My thoughts exactly.

BJK
Old 10-23-2007, 11:30 PM
DaveC6
Burning Brakes

I had to make this decision Sunday night. Fire hit our area due to a wind shift and we had about 30 minutes to get out. I left the Vette and my Mustang in the garage. We loaded up our SUV and another car with basically just 2 cats, 2 dogs, photos and documents. The housing tract is surrounded by hillside, which I knew would all burn. Our house is about 400 feet from the closest hillside. No houses were lost in our tract, but 12 lost just about a half mile away. My wife said "You're leaving your Vette???" I said, it's just a car lets go. She said "Oh, you want an '08 if it burns, huh?". My daugther's boyfriend started laughing, because that's exactly what I told him 2 minutes before she asked. We had plans to take all the cars, but I figured if I was homeless I had no business with a car like that anyway. All is well now though, except those damn winds are still here.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:36 PM
Savage C6
Pro

I parked mine in the middle of my neighbor's horse corral. It's about 150'X150' so I think it's safe in the middle of dirt. It's staying there until Thursday (at least). It's filthy dirty but it's nothing a good wash and wax job won't fix. And to think that up to this point, it's never even seen rain. At least family and house is safe for now. Not out of the woods yet though.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:40 PM
60av8tor
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spearfisher
good luck to you, but if you have good insurance, leave the vette collect the money and order a 08
What he said..
..it's not worth the time....or your life !!
Old 10-24-2007, 12:17 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 456 Likes on 342 Posts

NOW go put the vette somewhere safe , then prepack & hope that you don't have to move. Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To SoCal is BURNING. So is my Vette

Old 10-24-2007, 12:29 AM
71stang99
Drifting

Originally Posted by wratran
rent a 2 wheels trailer and tow your vette with the truck...uhaul has it

If your truck can handle it rent the car dolly and load both with your most important items.
Otherwise load whichever is least insured and hit the trail, hopefully they are both insured the same so you could take the truck if you have several unreplaceable items.
good luck
Old 10-24-2007, 12:33 AM
talldude67
Pro

Default Fire in So Cal

Call a friend real fast...to drive the loaded truck for you....
Old 10-24-2007, 12:35 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by 60av8tor
What he said..
..it's not worth the time....or your life !!
Originally Posted by Zozzie

Edit - as a fire captain I've stood on the sidewalk with many people as their house and most of their possessions burned. I've given lots of comfort and let them know they have what truly matters - themselves, their family, their pets and their irreplacable stuff. Even though I've witnessed it countless times I can't imagine what they were going through at the time but we must draw a line between what truly matters and what doesn't.

My heart goes out to those in CA and their plight. You're on our news in Canada nightly.
And go truckin!

Quick Reply: SoCal is BURNING. So is my Vette