C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new 08 cold shifting grinding?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 02:54 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Same here on '08 for 1-2 shift.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:14 PM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger dave
can anybody help with this please ? when my car is cold, starting off i grind gears going from 1-2,2-3? does anybody else have this? seems to be ok when warm. thanks
Dave same problem pulling away cold lasts maybe 5 minutes than it is fine.This has to be related to 08 because I have seen way to many posts about this I would give it some time and miles and see what happens.I have also seen posts complainig about clutch chatter on ls3 08 I had that too right out of the box and that has fully gone away I now have 2500 miles and it releases smooth.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:27 PM
octane_n_veins
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How about...

Originally Posted by ranger dave
can anybody help with this please ? when my car is cold, starting off i grind gears going from 1-2,2-3? does anybody else have this? seems to be ok when warm. thanks
Could be the skip shift. On all manuals, the transmission will make you shift from 1st-4th when driving in traffic or light to light. But if you giving it a lot of gas, aka high RPM’s, you shouldn’t get the 1st to 4th shift at all. The transmission is made like that to help optimize on fuel economy. If it becomes annoying then buy a skip shift eliminator. You pick one of those up for about $25 at just about any where.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:38 PM
JFFVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the same thing now that it is starting to get colder here. I posted a thread on it a few weeks ago, and it seems to be normal. I'm just more careful now for about 15 minutes until the fluid warms up, then it seems OK. It's still a fun tranny to shift, and I'm still smiling.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:39 PM
rsmithuf
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to make a seperate post for this, but seeing that this thread is still alive, I'll just do it here.

I have 3100 miles on my 08 - picked it up in late September. I've done some spirited driving through the mountains in it and about 1000 miles ago I started getting tough shifts from 1st=>2nd when cold.

Last weekend I checked my clutch fluid and it was extremely dark and dirty. Changed it out via Ranger's method (took about 1 can of Prestone DOT4 Brake Fluid) and it seems to have helped the situation somewhat. I still think this is primarly an issue with the tranmission fluid/lubrication and not clutch, but wanted you guys with new 08's to go ahead and check the clutch fluid cleanliness - you might be suprised even with low miles its already dirty!!
Old 11-20-2007, 07:54 PM
garye
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '21

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Not that going-to different fluid wouldn't help but because he shouldn't need to do this. I put Royal Purple in my transmission but not because of any problems...I just wanted to.

A new 2008 with the supposedly vastly improved transmission should not grind. Take it to the dealership and have them fix it!
Wayne, I have seen you say this before that the 08 trannys are better and they shouldn't shift as poorly as some are saying. Well if you look at this thread there are plenty that say they are having problems. Mine does the exact same thing. Chevy either screwed up the trannies again or everyone on this thread has a one of a kind problem. I think the trannies are either tighter than hell when new and need some use to get them shifting easier or chevy in it's infinite wisdom will send out some service call that will let us all bring our 08's in to get a standardized fix. Can't figure out why they shift so well after 20 minutes. It's like an alarm goes off and bam, shifts as smooth as a babies bottom.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 356 Posts

I picked up my 08 at the museum on 10/20 and drove 3600 miles to southern ca. Took a few side trips. I have the same problem, and it isn't that cold here. I e-mailed the factory and they replied that Chevy is aware of the problem, it will not wear in, and a fluid change will not help. I was hoping they would say to change the fluid. I may try it anyway. Anyone ACTUALLY do this and have it help? What brand and weight fluid did you use? Please no replies "that I always use this brand", or "I've used this in the past", etc.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:47 PM
AO-08
Racer

Default here's why

My 08 does the same thing... little stiff when cold on 1-2 maybe 2-3.

Reason being is when shifting the gears actually slide on a shaft in the tranny, the synchro starts it spinning and then it meshes with the matching gear and then your off.

There is no pressurized oil system in the trans, just splashing oil to lube everything. So, the gears have less clearance and oil on there when cold. Warm up a little and the clearance goes up, splashing starts, oil gets thinner as well, and all the sudden life is good.

I do not consider this a problem. I use it as a reminder to baby it for the first few minutes till things get up to temp, etc.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:10 PM
backpack
Heel & Toe

Same for me on my 08, even with 7000 miles. Goes away quickly and I don't give it much of a thought. First I had heard of the issue so I am glad to hear I'm not the only one!!
Old 11-20-2007, 10:37 PM
03 Z-oh-6
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good post! Mine does the same exact thing! Until it gets warm, shifting is a bit rough. Seems as though it's pretty common.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:20 PM
octane_n_veins
Advanced

Thanks for info. Good to know.
Originally Posted by rsmithuf
I was going to make a seperate post for this, but seeing that this thread is still alive, I'll just do it here.

I have 3100 miles on my 08 - picked it up in late September. I've done some spirited driving through the mountains in it and about 1000 miles ago I started getting tough shifts from 1st=>2nd when cold.

Last weekend I checked my clutch fluid and it was extremely dark and dirty. Changed it out via Ranger's method (took about 1 can of Prestone DOT4 Brake Fluid) and it seems to have helped the situation somewhat. I still think this is primarly an issue with the tranmission fluid/lubrication and not clutch, but wanted you guys with new 08's to go ahead and check the clutch fluid cleanliness - you might be suprised even with low miles its already dirty!!
Old 11-24-2007, 11:26 PM
loflyin08Z
Advanced

Originally Posted by AO-08
My 08 does the same thing... little stiff when cold on 1-2 maybe 2-3.

Reason being is when shifting the gears actually slide on a shaft in the tranny, the synchro starts it spinning and then it meshes with the matching gear and then your off.

There is no pressurized oil system in the trans, just splashing oil to lube everything. So, the gears have less clearance and oil on there when cold. Warm up a little and the clearance goes up, splashing starts, oil gets thinner as well, and all the sudden life is good.

I do not consider this a problem. I use it as a reminder to baby it for the first few minutes till things get up to temp, etc.
Thanks for the info. Exactly the same in my 08 delivered 10/15 now at 1,300 miles.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:02 AM
doveboat
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

08 3,200 miles, getting better but still a little "notchy" 1st to 2nd when first started and cold. Chatter seems to be getting better as well.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:35 PM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No clutch chatter, never had any. The tranny shifted perfectly, smoothly until we started seeing 40Degree mornings/evenings. I first noticed it when I left late from work, outside temp was 41. 1-2 shift was as if shifter was moving through molasses. It only took 5-10 mins for it to go away. Now that it is colder, 30's the issue is more pronounced, and it takes up to 20 mins of in town driving for the stiff shifting to go away. The fluid simply doesn't have a wide temperature operating range. I need to research to see if it is synthetic/part synthetic.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:47 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by backpack
Same for me on my 08, even with 7000 miles. Goes away quickly and I don't give it much of a thought. First I had heard of the issue so I am glad to hear I'm not the only one!!
Same here, not bad just stiff when cold! Mines getting the Royal
Purple treatment today. Let you know the results!
Old 11-25-2007, 12:49 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by nwc6
No clutch chatter, never had any. The tranny shifted perfectly, smoothly until we started seeing 40Degree mornings/evenings. I first noticed it when I left late from work, outside temp was 41. 1-2 shift was as if shifter was moving through molasses. It only took 5-10 mins for it to go away. Now that it is colder, 30's the issue is more pronounced, and it takes up to 20 mins of in town driving for the stiff shifting to go away. The fluid simply doesn't have a wide temperature operating range. I need to research to see if it is synthetic/part synthetic.
Doing Royal Purple. In the tranny,To see if it helps, I know changing my Z-06 fluid
helped the shifting!
Old 11-25-2007, 01:06 PM
KFORD
Racer

same here.. i changed my tranny fluid to royal purple and it may have helped a little bit but it will still grind when cold.. hope they fix it soon.. i feel like I'm going to wear down my 2nd gear if i keep doing this

Get notified of new replies

To new 08 cold shifting grinding?

Old 11-25-2007, 02:29 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I've somehow missed this thread. How cold are ya'll talking about, and are you talking about shifting fast?

I've driven mine a couple of times now with the temp in the 40's, and I have not noticed it at all. I do drive very easily until the car is fully warmed up.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:35 PM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Doing Royal Purple. In the tranny,To see if it helps, I know changing my Z-06 fluid
helped the shifting!
I had the same problem with my 06 when I got it. Royal Purple Syncromax did the trick. It was 28 degrees when I left this morning, it still shifts as smooth as if it were 80 degrees out.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:38 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Craigster05
I had the same problem with my 06 when I got it. Royal Purple Syncromax did the trick. It was 28 degrees when I left this morning, it still shifts as smooth as if it were 80 degrees out.
That's what I'm hoping for!

Quick Reply: new 08 cold shifting grinding?