C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A chirp instead of a honk

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 03:42 PM
BLU BYA
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A chirp instead of a honk

I use the "auto-door-lock when exiting" feature in all my cars including my '08 coupe. My other cars have a chirp or a "softer" sound whenever the doors are locked as the audible confirmation. I have my settings in my '08 coupe to flash the DRLs when the doors lock b/c I can't stand the loud horn, but I sometimes miss the flash and the locking mechanism is very quiet.

The C6's horn honking is pretty loud and "in your face" for my taste, especially when in the garage and the baby is sleeping. So I'm wondering how easy/hard it would be to add a small chirping/tone device (like my Acura or Lexus has) instead of the horn being blasted each time I lock the car.

Does anyone who has a service manual, have a minute to look in it to see if there's simply a separate wire that goes to the horn also, that's used to confirmation the door lock (when feature is turned on)? I'd really appreciate it. Or better yet, has anyone else done a mod like this? I searched but couldn't find anything. Thanks.

Tae
'08 JSB Coupe, 3LT, NPP (wishing for a quieter audible confirmation)
Old 11-21-2007, 09:38 PM
ILLUSHN
Safety Car

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 11-21-2007, 09:56 PM
Wethingtonvette8093
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you figure out a way, id be interested...I agree with you totally
Old 11-21-2007, 11:10 PM
PolishDude
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

i too agree, its way too loud for a locking honk
Old 11-22-2007, 12:12 AM
alanancy
Racer

Same Here!!
Old 11-22-2007, 12:48 PM
BLU BYA
Advanced

Should be real easy to do by adding a $2 part into the engine compartment. Just need to figure out which wire(s) is providing the horn with the signal when the car auto-locks.

Unless of course it's all done via software.

Anyone got a service manual?

Thanks,
Tae
Old 11-22-2007, 12:58 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Here you go, see if this helps. It appears that the signal from the BCM will trigger the lock beep.

Horns System Description and Operation
System Description
The horn system consists of the following components:

HORN fuse
Horn relay
Horn slip ring
Horn switch (The horn switch is part of the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.)
Horns
Body Control Module (BCM.)
System Operation
The vehicle horn system is activated under the following conditions:

Either of the horn switches is depressed.
The body control module (BCM) commands the horns on. The BCM commands the horns on under any of the following conditions:
When the content theft deterrent system detects a vehicle intrusion. For further information refer to Content Theft Deterrent (CTD) Description and Operation in Theft Deterrent.
When the panic button is depressed on the remote control door lock transmitter. For further information refer to Keyless Entry System Description and Operation in Keyless Entry.
When the keyless entry system is used to lock the vehicle, a horn chirp may sound to notify the driver that the vehicle has been locked. The notification feature may be enabled or disabled through personalization. For further information refer to Keyless Entry System Description and Operation in Keyless Entry.
Circuit Operation
Battery positive voltage is applied at all times to the horn relay coil and the horn relay switch. Pressing either of the horn switches applies ground to the horn relay control circuit. The BCM may also apply ground to the horn relay control circuit as described above. When the horn relay control circuit is grounded, the horn relay is energized and battery positive voltage is applied to the horns through the horn control circuit. The horns sound as long as ground is applied to the horn relay control circuit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 663723
2005 Chevrolet Corvette
Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2007, 01:04 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Must buy more printer paper .............................
Old 11-22-2007, 01:08 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by 4 MY EGO
Must buy more printer paper .............................
You just made me choke on my wine.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:14 PM
BLU BYA
Advanced

Thank you Talon90 for the details from the service manual.

It seems like the BCM is what's causing the horn to honk when the car is auto-locked when exiting. Therefore, it sounds like it won't be easy. UNLESS, the service manual's referral to the "Keyless Entry/Exit" section sheds some more light on other options/ideas.

Tae
Old 11-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Hooked4Life
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

OMG this is a good one. My triple honk goes off all the time if my fob is too close to the door when closing. scares the crap out of me in the garage. A chirp would be cool. I have the manuals, and will dig in to see.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Hooked4Life
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hooked4Life
OMG this is a good one. My triple honk goes off all the time if my fob is too close to the door when closing. scares the crap out of me in the garage. A chirp would be cool. I have the manuals, and will dig in to see.
After looking at the diagram, it looks do-able. I just need to verify that the alarm would not be affected.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:34 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like another project for PIPEDREAMS.....
Old 11-27-2007, 11:07 PM
xlr8rvette
Drifting

Location: Fayetteville Arkansas recently moved from Oakland Ca
Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

[QUOTE=BLU BYA;1562851689] .............
The C6's horn honking is pretty loud and "in your face" for my taste, especially when in the garage and the baby is sleeping.
QUOTE]

You set the alarm when the Vette is in the Garage??? Must be a ruff neighborhood !!
Old 11-27-2007, 11:50 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BLU BYA
I use the "auto-door-lock when exiting" feature in all my cars including my '08 coupe. My other cars have a chirp or a "softer" sound whenever the doors are locked as the audible confirmation. I have my settings in my '08 coupe to flash the DRLs when the doors lock b/c I can't stand the loud horn, but I sometimes miss the flash and the locking mechanism is very quiet.

The C6's horn honking is pretty loud and "in your face" for my taste, especially when in the garage and the baby is sleeping. So I'm wondering how easy/hard it would be to add a small chirping/tone device (like my Acura or Lexus has) instead of the horn being blasted each time I lock the car.

Does anyone who has a service manual, have a minute to look in it to see if there's simply a separate wire that goes to the horn also, that's used to confirmation the door lock (when feature is turned on)? I'd really appreciate it. Or better yet, has anyone else done a mod like this? I searched but couldn't find anything. Thanks.

Tae
'08 JSB Coupe, 3LT, NPP (wishing for a quieter audible confirmation)

The BCM grounds the horn relay for 0.1 sec. You can turn this feature on or off, but you can not change the timng.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:31 AM
los7883
Melting Slicks

The honking in the garage scares the sheit outta me too!
Old 11-28-2007, 04:24 PM
tlcj
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Several ideas come to mind. All seem poor but I will throw them out. The horn is the same for all functions.
1 You could try reducing the voltage across the horn by using a resistor. Would need to measure the current to determine wattage of resistor. Never tried this. Might sound very sick. Could put the 2 in series and drop 6v across each?
2 Might be able to build a circuit to reduce the pulse width but that would effect all uses. Would not attempt
3 There seems to be 2 horns in diagram, would you consider removing one?
4 replace the horns with different ones.

Get notified of new replies

To A chirp instead of a honk

Old 11-28-2007, 06:20 PM
BLU BYA
Advanced

For the times we really need the horn (as an alarm, or when someone cuts you off), we need the horn intact. It's just the "auto-lock when exiting the car" situation that needs the quieter "chirp."

Anyone have a minute to look in the keyless entry/exit section of the service manual for potential solutions?

Thanks,
Tae
Old 11-28-2007, 06:29 PM
Aceman
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default I'm in...

If anyone figures this out. I agree totally - i deactivitated the autoarming because the horn would wake the entire family up after pulling into the garage.

Aceman
Old 11-30-2007, 09:49 PM
BLU BYA
Advanced

I think the answer is somewhere in the diagrams for the keyless entry section of the service manual. Wish I had one to check out. Anyone got one they can look at for us?

TIA,
Tae

Quick Reply: A chirp instead of a honk