C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 02:18 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 238 Posts

A) Do a search . . plenty of discussion about extended warranty, and who to buy it from . . .

B) from your post and the current GM coverage, not sure I'd spend the money until/unless I had a bunch of chronic issues during the first few years . . .
Old 12-11-2007, 02:47 PM
logansrun
Blue on Black
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got 6 years, 48000 mi bumper to bumper for 800.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:07 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

A good rule of thumb is that a good price is half of the number the dealer initially quotes you.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Maui
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

My warranty is up in January so I purchased one from Fitchner. It just provides a little piece of mind.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:59 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Take it - plain and simple - you will need it.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:11 PM
flatlander1295
Advanced

I have always been against extended warranties on anything but did purchase on a new suburban in 2004. Right after factory warranty went away, the whole cooling system went nuts. Got my warranty money back in one trip to the dealer. Of course that was back when the factory only offered 3 years or 36000. May not need now with the new warranty system
Old 12-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Kreuzen
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by mn08vette
Wouldn't an engine malfunction or tranny parts be covered under the 5/100 warranty anyway?

I never buy the extended warranty simply because I've never needed one. I suppose if I did my opinion may be different.
...just a generalization to make my point - the timeline, broken part, etc., can change but the bottom line is this - if you plan to keep your car, you may find GMPP will pay for itself over the course of time--possibly in 1 or 2 visits. Also, keep in mind if you sell your car, its transferable (possible selling point) or it can be cashed-out (prorated payment). Again, to each his/her own.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:54 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I've never bought an extended warranty on anything in my life. Somehow the Corvette seems different and I plan on buying a five year plan next month. My factory warranty expires 4/6/08 and Dennis said I had to buy the extended warranty two months before it expires. That will give me two months less than eight years of coverage.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:57 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
I've never bought an extended warranty on anything in my life. Somehow the Corvette seems different and I plan on buying a five year plan next month. My factory warranty expires 4/6/08 and Dennis said I had to buy the extended warranty two months before it expires. That will give me two months less than eight years of coverage.
The way I understand it is you must buy the GMPP warranty before the 3/36 expires, not two months before it expires.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:49 PM
ADK Dave
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Extended warranties are a lot like insurance, if you don't have a problem, they are a waste of money. Of course those who write the policies are going to make money - othewise they won't be around to pay off any claims. I guess if you know you aren't going to ever have a $5k auto repair, or have a house fire, why bother with warranty/insurance.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:03 PM
porterrw
Intermediate

Default Try Black Pontiac Cadillac for email quote all options

Lower cost than others promoted here. You can check out now, but wait toward the end of your first 12 months to get the most time and mileage add on. Prices usually go up about Nov 1, but unless you are close to 12 months then, it pays to wait. Allow a few weeks in advance to make sure you are processed in time. I placed an order that failed to go thru elsewhere and barely made it in time with Black (with no problem). Incidentally, any GM dealer can sell coverage for any GM product.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:09 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
The way I understand it is you must buy the GMPP warranty before the 3/36 expires, not two months before it expires.
My understanding is that changed 10/1 with the new prices. Looks like a price increase without calling it one.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:46 AM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if you decide to get an extended warantee, get the GM one, check this out http://www.startribune.com/business/12387251.html

note that it may take another company down with it
Old 12-12-2007, 12:36 PM
0CeYaBye
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default GMPP Response

I am going to chime into this and answer a few questions:

VET4LES
I guess you misunderstood me, you can buy a GMPP any time up until you are at 36K or 3 Years. You can wait till the last day if you want but I highly do not recommend that. After you purchase your ORIGINAL GMPP then you can extend it once but you must do it 2 MONTHS and 2000 MILES before expiration of that plan.

porterrw

I am not the cheapest on the net but I OFFER THE BEST SERVICE of anyone on the net including good old BLACK CADILLAC, PONTIAC, GMC. Do you see anywhere in their name that they can even look at your CORVETTE or that they know anything about it at all. Also you did not mention to everyone that you paid a processing fee to use your credit card on top of their pricing. Maybe you sent them a check which the processing fee would not apply but they do charge for running a credit card and I DO NOT.

I and Ken have always stated we will match any and all prices offered on the NET provided we can still cover all our charges involved in the transaction. I get calls daily from customers who have shopped me and I am usually in the $20-$25 more and GUESS WHO THEY BUY FROM.

We feel the service we provide to all of the Corvette family is worth a little bit.

Remember I am offering $50 off till 12-28-07 to everyone, you must mention you saw the offer to get it. Please email me for your free quote and include your VIN and current miles for accurate quote.

gmpp@fichtnerchevrolet.com
dfichtner@fichtnerchevrolet.com

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE

Dennis Fichtner
Old 12-12-2007, 04:09 PM
ADK Dave
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

That's good info Dennis, I'll be calling when my 06 Z gets near the end of the orig. warranty.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:33 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,937 Likes on 4,816 Posts

Frome everyting I have read and experienced I agree, bottom line would be save your money on the extended warranty and take care of the car. The factory warranty should be all the prtection you need.
Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
The people selling extended warranties aren't doing it just out of the goodness of their hearts. They know that, on average, what they charge you will be more than you collect from them. The only way to make this worthwhile is to make sure that you break more stuff than the average person. So if you intend to treat the car rough, buy it. If you intend to take care of it, save your money.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:55 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CeYaBye

VET4LES
I guess you misunderstood me, you can buy a GMPP any time up until you are at 36K or 3 Years. You can wait till the last day if you want but I highly do not recommend that. After you purchase your ORIGINAL GMPP then you can extend it once but you must do it 2 MONTHS and 2000 MILES before expiration of that plan.

Dennis Fichtner
Thanks for clarifying that Dennis, I'll be in touch with you in March.

Get notified of new replies

To Extended Warranty

Old 12-12-2007, 07:20 PM
chemjim1
Racer

Default GMPP = Repair Insurance Policy

With a GMPP purchase, you are insuring yourself against future breakdowns. If you intend to keep your Vette forever, it may not be a bad deal. The more you pay for coverage, the longer it can be protected (up to 7 years). Example: $1400 buys you a 7-year, zero dollar deductible coverage. You are simply betting against future repair costs. Once outside the 3-year bumper-to-bumper warranty, none of your electronics are covered, for example - and the Vette has lots and lots of electronic gizmos. Your GM powertrain is the only component covered for 5-years (just do not make any stupid engine mods). Yes the GMPP is a moneymaker for GM, but if you ever have to use it, it usually pays for itself in a couple of visits to the dealer. Example: I had a Buick Park Avenue Ultra that had the driver's leather seat go bad (no motion, no control, nor would it heat). By the time GM got done replacing every possible component (to a cost of $2500), the GMPP had more than paid for itself. If you only plan on keeping your Vette a few years, then it is not worth purchasing. However, it can be a helpful selling point when you want to sell your car. If a buyer has a choice between 2 identical Vettes - one with a GMPP warranty and one without, guess which one he'll probably buy.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:47 PM
tahoegirl
8th Gear

If you do purchase an extended service contract, make sure its not a third party contract. With that type of vehicle your best bet is to purchase a GMPP aka: General Motors Protection Plan. Cost more but in the end its worth it. No aftermarket or used parts, all OE parts. No major hassles with inspectors coming out to decline the repairs, its pretty much automated when the dealer calls in.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:58 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CeYaBye

I and Ken have always stated we will match any and all prices offered on the NET provided we can still cover all our charges involved in the transaction. I get calls daily from customers who have shopped me and I am usually in the $20-$25 more and GUESS WHO THEY BUY FROM.

We feel the service we provide to all of the Corvette family is worth a little bit.

Remember I am offering $50 off till 12-28-07 to everyone, you must mention you saw the offer to get it. Please email me for your free quote and include your VIN and current miles for accurate quote.

Dennis Fichtner
Any comment on this thread?

Wow I feel decieved now. I thought GMPP was totally GM owned and operated. MIC also comes up as Universal Warranty Corp. This is sold very heavly as an aftermarket warranty policy on many other brand cars. This brings back memory of Rusty Jones rust proofing sold by many auto dealers and when there treated cars started rusting and claims started coming in they just folded to avoid making good on fixing the rusted cars they claimed to protect. What if any responsibility does GM have if MIC suddenly decides to fold and declare to go BK?? I think we need to find this out. I now feel decieved by the Forum dealer that sold me the GMPP warranty as GM backed and provided.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1563143956

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty