C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1765 miles on car...dead battery...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 09:23 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 669 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrill6
Make sure you didn't accidentally push on the interior lights dimmer.
The interior lamps are supposed to time out after 20 minutes or so.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:59 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 866 Likes on 609 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by dpigguy
just noticed you are in Conroe - have the same CRM as you but went to the other university in TX - must be why I live west of you!
Gotta love the CRM !!

So, you went to Tech ?

Old 01-21-2008, 10:01 PM
jmcglone
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry folks, but this is rediculous.
This problem has been a known issue for GM since the debut of the C6 in 2005. It's still not fixed, and we, the suckers tha we are, think that it's acceptable to require a battery tender to keep the battery from being consumed. So when we get home at the end of the day, we have to plug an external device in to keep the car alive. At the same time, this thing is so dependent on having power. We pay extra for OnStar which fails to work without power. We can't even open the doors on this thing without a good battery charge. And yet we accept this design flaw.

I hope that GM watches and pays attention to this forum and does the following with the C7:

1) Get rid of the keyless concept or redesign it so that it will run on microamp hours of power.
2) Redesign all other electrical devices such that they do not require power except when the vehicle is running, or immediately before starting it.
3) Rewrite the firmware and re-design all systems where applicable, to make absolutely certain that all parasitic power drains are eliminated.

I'm about to take delivery on a 2008 and frankly, I'm thinking I made a serious mistake. There are days during the winter, rather weeks that I won't be able to get it out of the garage and I want the thing to start without my babysitting it.

Sheesh.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:16 PM
carnut2912
Instructor

I think GM likes to replace batteries. Seems like they could come up with a deep cycle battery, or build in a battery tender. They have to know by now it's costing them on battery replacements under warranty. I drive my car alot, and still had my battery replaced after 2 years. However, I haven't had any problems since they replaced it. So who knows. Also, my 2001 Vette had a battery die after 2 years, so this isn't a new problem. Back then they said it was the Gel cell battery that they were having problems with.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:20 PM
Tin Star
Burning Brakes

Location: Amelia Island,FL ______ or DFW _________ Sold my 05 MS Coupe ____ bought 08 Vert Blk/JSB, 3LT, F55

Originally Posted by jmcglone
Sorry folks, but this is rediculous.
This problem has been a known issue for GM since the debut of the C6 in 2005. It's still not fixed, and we, the suckers tha we are, think that it's acceptable to require a battery tender to keep the battery from being consumed. So when we get home at the end of the day, we have to plug an external device in to keep the car alive. At the same time, this thing is so dependent on having power. We pay extra for OnStar which fails to work without power. We can't even open the doors on this thing without a good battery charge. And yet we accept this design flaw.

I hope that GM watches and pays attention to this forum and does the following with the C7:

1) Get rid of the keyless concept or redesign it so that it will run on microamp hours of power.
2) Redesign all other electrical devices such that they do not require power except when the vehicle is running, or immediately before starting it.
3) Rewrite the firmware and re-design all systems where applicable, to make absolutely certain that all parasitic power drains are eliminated.

I'm about to take delivery on a 2008 and frankly, I'm thinking I made a serious mistake. There are days during the winter, rather weeks that I won't be able to get it out of the garage and I want the thing to start without my babysitting it.

Sheesh.

If you dislike the car so much, I have to wonder why you bought it. I on the other hand love it so much I've bought two.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:12 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get all caught up in this... My issue was most likely a user error as some of the others might be also. I have not had a problem since.. most likely because I have a better understanding of everything...
The car is quite advanced with many high tech features and programming. I had mine sit for almost two weeks with no battery issues. I wouldn't worry about a few isolated incidents.. The 05's had some issues that were eventually addressed.. Don't let this be a concern.. The car is truly awesome and dependable..

QUOTE=jmcglone;1563737212]Sorry folks, but this is rediculous.

Sheesh.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-21-2008, 11:23 PM
jmcglone
Advanced

I know what you mean about getting "caught up". It does remind me of the issue I had with the 2000 C5. The battery in that car was positioned right above the main harness and also the ECM. The side post batterys used on 2000 and prior models was poorly designed and prone to leaking. Luckily on my C5, I first noticed a vacum leak and traced it to a vacum line running right under the battery. There was acid all over the main harness. If I had not caught the problem when I did, I'm sure it would've cost me $1000s. I got the acid cleaned up in time, but it made me think about the "planned obsolescence" that some engineer designed into the C5. So, yes I'm a little paranoid. Was the C5 a good car? ... yes it was an awesome car. Am I glad I'm getting a C6? Well, I'll tell you after I get a few miles on it.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:42 AM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Is this an '08? Mine at least took 27 days to die out on me. But four days has to be a record. I have no idea other than something must be draining the battery. Pretty seriously, too.
A significant draw could likely be traced if it is there.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:27 AM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
Gotta love the CRM !!

So, you went to Tech ?

Old 01-22-2008, 08:38 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,959 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by 6 speed Sid
With a $50 K vehicle you should not have to add anything like a battery tender or charger for it to sit for a few days. I have had many GM vehicles over the last 40 years and have 3 now including a Vette and all of them could sit for 3 or 4 weeks with no problem. If I knew that a new Corvette could not sit for a few days without having a dead battery and me having to add something to keep it charged, GM would lose a long time purchaser.
Prepare to become another car manufacturer's customer....
Old 01-22-2008, 08:51 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by torquetube
The interior lamps are supposed to time out after 20 minutes or so.
I don't think so. Not if you intentionally turn them on. But considering the state of my battery, I don't want to intentionally test it to find out.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:03 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,236 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertDog
OH....and here is an added bonus! Did you know that if the battery goes totally belly up on you (as mined did), and if you have the passenger door open that you CANNOT CLOSE THE DOOR as the window has to retract before the doors can close, and since the battery is dead, the window doesn't retract?

Yep....true story.

Desert DOg
The first time I had DBS, the car was flatbedded back to the dealer. In order to close the driver's side door, I had to remove the roof and stow it. After that, I got into the habit of always leaving my window open an inch or two when leaving the car in the garage.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:16 AM
6 speed Sid
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It always amazes me how some will defend GM and never think that the Corvette can be improved and believe that it is a perfect vehicle. I have had many Corvettes and still have one, but I still say there is no reason ( other than poor engineering) why a Corvette can not sit for a few days and not kill the battery.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:22 AM
DesertDog
Instructor

Default Interior Lamps Time-Out after a period of time.....?

Originally Posted by AORoads
I don't think so. Not if you intentionally turn them on. But considering the state of my battery, I don't want to intentionally test it to find out.
THis could be the problem here. Is this the little round button on the bottom left side of the dash? I know I have played with it in the past and may have turned it on (pushed it in). I was playing with it because I noticed that no matter what position it was in (in or out) or which way it was turned, I didn't notice any difference in the interior lights. (Maybe it was defective?).

Also....the first thing the Service Manager did at the dealer yesterday is look at that switch and turn it and push it. He didn;t say anything, but he is an experienced guy (been there a long time and knows Vettes). Perhaps they know that this is the part that causes this.

Stay tuned!

Desert Dog
Old 01-22-2008, 10:28 AM
DesertDog
Instructor

Default Optima Battery

I should hear from the service manager today and I will let everyone know the outcome.

But, if it does need a new battery, do you guys recommend a Optima? I know the dealer sells these. They are expensive...but I assume I would get a credit on the Delco.

Let me know your thoughts! I appreciate it!

Desert Dog
Old 01-22-2008, 10:32 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

THis could be the problem here. Is this the little round button on the bottom left side of the dash? I know I have played with it in the past and may have turned it on (pushed it in). I was playing with it because I noticed that no matter what position it was in (in or out) or which way it was turned, I didn't notice any difference in the interior lights. (Maybe it was defective?).

Also....the first thing the Service Manager did at the dealer yesterday is look at that switch and turn it and push it. He didn;t say anything, but he is an experienced guy (been there a long time and knows Vettes). Perhaps they know that this is the part that causes this.

Stay tuned!

Desert Dog
Yes, it is. And unless you look pretty carefully once you leave the car with an open garage door that is just closing, it can seem as if all interior lights are off. They may not be. And it is EASY to knee this button, too, as others have said. I have.

Depending on how old your car is, they may give you a new battery. In which case, I'd take the one proffered and go from there. When you do need a new battery, look into the Odyssey line sold at Jegs, Summit Racing, etc.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Stay tuned!

Desert Dog
If you push it in it will turn on what I call the map lights on the rear view mirror. They will stay on until you push it in again. If you turn and hold it clockwise the dash lights will slowly get brighter. Counterclockwise will slowly dim them. The main thing you have to turn and hold.

Get notified of new replies

To 1765 miles on car...dead battery...thoughts?

Old 01-22-2008, 10:53 AM
DesertDog
Instructor

Default Interior Lights

Originally Posted by Corvette Junkie
If you push it in it will turn on what I call the map lights on the rear view mirror. They will stay on until you push it in again. If you turn and hold it clockwise the dash lights will slowly get brighter. Counterclockwise will slowly dim them. The main thing you have to turn and hold.
OK....Thank you! This may have been the problem. Four days of map lights could do it. We'll see what the Service Manager says.....but it was interesting that as soon as he walked up to my car there in the entrence to the Service Department, the first thing he did was play with that switch.

If this is the problem, then these guys at the Chevy Service Departments are aware of this and they check this first.

Stay tuned....I will report back with their answers.

Desert Dog
Old 01-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Neil Baker
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Default dead battery comment

Had to have the battery replaced under warrenty in my C5. My '08 C6 has not had this problem as yet..I only have 640 miles, bad weather and car is in garage hookd to battery tender. But, two comments, first, after cleaning my inside windshield, I noticed this glow on the dash, looked closer and found I had hit the map light on the rear view mirror. This would run down the battery big time if not noticed. Second, when I picked up my car, it had been sitting in front of the dealership, my wife and I drove the car as much as we could until the weather went bad. (we picked up the car Christmas eve) When I hooked up the battery tender, it took overnight before the standby light came on...tells me the battery was VERY low.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:34 AM
1cheesecake
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would buy the Optima
The dealer will probably only want to give you the Delco..
Pay the extra money

Quick Reply: 1765 miles on car...dead battery...thoughts?