C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1765 miles on car...dead battery...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:34 AM
DesertDog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Map Light

Originally Posted by Neil Baker
Had to have the battery replaced under warrenty in my C5. My '08 C6 has not had this problem as yet..I only have 640 miles, bad weather and car is in garage hookd to battery tender. But, two comments, first, after cleaning my inside windshield, I noticed this glow on the dash, looked closer and found I had hit the map light on the rear view mirror. This would run down the battery big time if not noticed. Second, when I picked up my car, it had been sitting in front of the dealership, my wife and I drove the car as much as we could until the weather went bad. (we picked up the car Christmas eve) When I hooked up the battery tender, it took overnight before the standby light came on...tells me the battery was VERY low.
Thanks! I think this may be it. Stay tuned....

Desert Dog
Old 01-22-2008, 04:51 PM
Srebbie
Instructor

Default Dead Battery

I had the same problem after about the same mileage. It took a charge but then wouldn't hold it. Got towed to the dealer who replaced the battery. Apparently a bad cell. Heard there have been similar problems around.

Good luck

Originally Posted by DesertDog
Hi all. Well, the car is 4 weeks old and I have adead battery. It sat four days...that's all.
I tried to start it and got the "No Fob" error on the DIC...then no battery power for anything.
I have noticed that every once in a while when I open the car door, I get the accessory bell dinging at me. It's only sometimes. Not all the time. This time it dinged.
However, nothing is on. Everything (that I am aware of) is turned off. No lights, nothing on at all.

I think that the "interminittent dinging" is a major clue.....but I sure don't know what I left on. (If anything...perhaps it is a bad battery).

I got a jump from the GM service...(On Star wouldn;t even work...so I had to call them). It's at Van Cheverlot in Scottsdale now. I am awaiting their call to see what's going on. The Service Manager has taken care of my C5 and Tahoe and has been there a while so I feel good about that.

Any thoughts? Let me know what you think....

Thanks!

Desert Dog
Old 01-22-2008, 05:29 PM
DesertDog
Instructor

Default Update

First off, THANK YOU to all who have replyed and offered advice to my problem. I do appreciate it!

Got a call from the Service Manager a few minutes ago.

THe battery is fine. No dead cells. The system has a drain of 50mA, which he says meets the GM spec for the 2008 C-6. So, they have found no source for the totally dead battery over only four days.

He (and I) now beleive that the problem was casued when I apprently accidently pushed in the map light button which is located on the bottom left side of the dash. Several of you have pointed this out already as apossible culprit.

Apparently this button, when pushed, stays ON, and does not go out when the 10-minute accessory mode checks out at 10 minutes. Sooooo, I probably pushed the button, and didn;t see the map lights on.

Also, this could explain the "dingging" I hear from time-to-time when I open the door. According to the Service Manager, if you hear dingging when you open the door, something is left on.....in this case the map lights. But I don't remeber it dingging when I got out fo the car. Strange.

Sooooo...this all sort of makes sense to me. I feel like an idiot. THey are going to keep it over night to see what kind of drain they get over night, and if it is all normal, I get it back in the AM.

I will give a final report then.

I do think I will pick up an Optima at some point soon, just as an insurance policy, and also becasue we are in the high Sonoran Desert, where it can get a tad warm from time-to-time. I do drive to LA and back fairly often and the thought of getting a dead battery at the Wiley Well rest stop outside of Blythe, CA is a sobering thought....

You guys are the best! Let me know your thoughts.....and if perhaps I am missing something here.

Desert Dog
Old 01-22-2008, 07:15 PM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 414 Likes on 190 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Interesting. But was your GPS left on? Or was it off? My V-1 was off...but plugged into the lighter. How can it drain the battery if the device is turned off?

As has been pointed out in a post above the car seems to intermittenly go into "accessory mode".

Weird.....
Yes, I had left the GPS turned on. My DD driver, a Ford Focus ZX5, turns off the cigarette lighter power when the ignition is turned off. Have never had a problem with the GPS in the Focus. Never thought the vette would not.

Live and Learn.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:34 PM
Comfortably Numb
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I suffered through DBS on my 05 for a while. Finally GM found a flash that fixed it. For an 08? You'd think they would have all the bugs worked out. It's amazing but I never have had DBS with any other car I own. These corvettes are picky IMO
Old 01-22-2008, 07:46 PM
John317
Instructor

Hi....Thanks for the thought on the FOB, but I don't leave it in the car...it comes with me inside.

I think it is either:

1. Bad battery or...
2. I have left something on that I don't know.....

At least that is my current theory.

Thanks to all!

Desert Dog
Your current theory.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:53 PM
gfish
Advanced

I too have an 08 with 800 miles on it. I have experienced the dinging of the bell when getting in the car on several occasions also. I have noticed that if you use the FOB to unlock the door it does not do this so I think it is related to the passive unlocking mechanism. Start unlocking with the FOB and let me know if the problem goes away because mine did.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:24 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 163 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 1cheesecake
I would buy the Optima
The dealer will probably only want to give you the Delco..
Pay the extra money

Optima is all I use! Have a Yellow Top in my Vette and a Yellow Top in my Acura. Optima doesn't have one to fit my other car.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:45 AM
mcwire
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dead Battery

ttt -- Why can't GM figure it out ?????

Last edited by mcwire; 01-23-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:00 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I mentioned before... many of us new C6 owners have let the battery drain by accident.. most likely pushing buttons and forgetting to turn something off not covered by the RAP system. I did it once and have not had a problem in over 4 months.. I feel somehow it was my bad and everything about the car is working fine..
Enjoy your vette... I'm sure all is well...

First off, THANK YOU to all who have replyed and offered advice to my problem. I do appreciate it!

Got a call from the Service Manager a few minutes ago.

THe battery is fine. No dead cells. The system has a drain of 50mA, which he says meets the GM spec for the 2008 C-6. So, they have found no source for the totally dead battery over only four days.

He (and I) now beleive that the problem was casued when I apprently accidently pushed in the map light button which is located on the bottom left side of the dash. Several of you have pointed this out already as apossible culprit.

Apparently this button, when pushed, stays ON, and does not go out when the 10-minute accessory mode checks out at 10 minutes. Sooooo, I probably pushed the button, and didn;t see the map lights on.

Also, this could explain the "dingging" I hear from time-to-time when I open the door. According to the Service Manager, if you hear dingging when you open the door, something is left on.....in this case the map lights. But I don't remeber it dingging when I got out fo the car. Strange.

Sooooo...this all sort of makes sense to me. I feel like an idiot. THey are going to keep it over night to see what kind of drain they get over night, and if it is all normal, I get it back in the AM.

I will give a final report then.

I do think I will pick up an Optima at some point soon, just as an insurance policy, and also becasue we are in the high Sonoran Desert, where it can get a tad warm from time-to-time. I do drive to LA and back fairly often and the thought of getting a dead battery at the Wiley Well rest stop outside of Blythe, CA is a sobering thought....

You guys are the best! Let me know your thoughts.....and if perhaps I am missing something here.

Desert Dog

Quick Reply: 1765 miles on car...dead battery...thoughts?