C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ENGINE BlOWN?????????? HELP????

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:05 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,157 Posts

No it doesn't. And let's not make this problem bigger than it is. The only cars affected were the first 11,000 cars in 05. And only few of them ended up with the problem of the bolt loosening. If this were a class problem it would be all over this forum and it hasn't been.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Looks like one of our cars is inside the 11,000 affected.
Should I talk to the dealer?
Old 02-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,157 Posts

It wouldn't be a bad idea just to make them aware of the situation. I don't think they will do anything unless the bolt actually loosens.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:38 PM
holdin5aces
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fewer *'s is better

I hate posts littered with camo'd foul language. If you feel the need to put *'s in a word, would not that dictate that another semantic decision is more appropriate? Just don't get it.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:28 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
No it doesn't. And let's not make this problem bigger than it is. The only cars affected were the first 11,000 cars in 05. And only few of them ended up with the problem of the bolt loosening. If this were a class problem it would be all over this forum and it hasn't been.
This is a known problem with 2005's. This wasn't due to "spirited driving" it is due to what amounts to a manufacturing or engineering defect.

Show the TSB to the service manager and let them take care of it. Hopefully, there was no damage to the crank or other engine components. But let's not turn this into a bigger problem than it really is.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:35 PM
LS3 4ME
Advanced

Originally Posted by holdin5aces
I hate posts littered with camo'd foul language. If you feel the need to put *'s in a word, would not that dictate that another semantic decision is more appropriate? Just don't get it.
Have your new car motor practically take a crap(poo poo) and tell me how you feel. It had just happened when I posted so obviosly I was a little upset. Simply venting at the time. If it offends you or others then dont read and simply back out of the thread. If you notice all posts of mine after the initial incident no *'s. So it is what it is. If you dont like then go visit another post. By the way I hate it when people dump on others post. Go dump somewhere else.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Tricky's Zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS3 4ME
Have your new car motor practically take a crap(poo poo) and tell me how you feel. It had just happened when I posted so obviosly I was a little upset. Simply venting at the time. If it offends you or others then dont read and simply back out of the thread. If you notice all posts of mine after the initial incident no *'s. So it is what it is. If you dont like then go visit another post. By the way I hate it when people dump on others post. Go dump somewhere else.
Vent on brother, thats stinks. Hope your problem is resolved at no cost to you.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:36 PM
LS3 4ME
Advanced

Would like to thank everyone for the support and useful info.. Called the dealer today for update and besides stating the obvious(Crank pulley bolt backing out)they couldnt tell me the extent of the damage. They did however state that they didnt think there was any internal damage to motor. So only time will tell.. Thanks again fellow forum members. Ill keep everyone posted
Old 02-05-2008, 04:38 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,609 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Would like to thank everyone for the support and useful info.. Called the dealer today for update and besides stating the obvious(Crank pulley bolt backing out)they couldnt tell me the extent of the damage. They did however state that they didnt think there was any internal damage to motor. So only time will tell.. Thanks again fellow forum members. Ill keep everyone posted
Please do - I really think GM should step up to the plate on this one.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:00 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

That sounds at first blush like very good news.......good luck with your car and the dealer......
Old 02-05-2008, 06:26 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 178 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08,'12-'13

Originally Posted by johnodrake
A known issue with 05s - pulley bolt backing out. There is a TSB on the fix. Surprised that the fix wasn't already done.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:41 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

That's good news. Typically, worse case scenario causes damage to the front of the crank. But if that's okay, you'll probably have it back in a couple of days (after they get the parts of course, because nobody keeps anything in stock. )

Good Luck!

Old 02-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Brauch
Racer

Good luck with your car and dont worry about the venting. Vent away...I would.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:15 PM
LS3 4ME
Advanced

Originally Posted by OCCOMSRAZOR
That's good news. Typically, worse case scenario causes damage to the front of the crank. But if that's okay, you'll probably have it back in a couple of days (after they get the parts of course, because nobody keeps anything in stock. )

Good Luck!

AHAHAHAAHAH I just got a call from the service dept. The are waiting for parts now The good part is he is again saying that it appears to be minor(the damage) Still not for sure yet until they put everything together. Sounds like you have had experience with the no parts in stock prob Anyways I again asked him if they were treating it as warranty work and his reply was yes I said I appreciated it and he said " well you bought the car from us so we want to try and take care of you". That is exactly what I wanted to here. I feel like in some ways dealers give vette owners some preferencial treatment because of the large sum of money we drop.. Sounds bad and I hate to think of it like that. Sure would hope they would do that for anyone who had a prob like mine. Anyways so far so good
Old 02-05-2008, 07:45 PM
PatH42
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your last post, hope everything continues to get better and vent away I would have.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:56 PM
dkrhardy
Burning Brakes

Good news, eh? From what the dealer said and from what I know and have seen from decent dealers ..... they make their best/most money from warranty work. Soooo, why would they not try to do the "right thing" and be sure to get their big bucks from Daddy GM? I'm sure there is a certain amount of justification involved, but if they can, I do believe they will.
Bottom line for you ... sounds minor AND they are taking care of you and your car!
Old 02-05-2008, 08:06 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by dkrhardy
Good news, eh? From what the dealer said and from what I know and have seen from decent dealers ..... they make their best/most money from warranty work. Soooo, why would they not try to do the "right thing" and be sure to get their big bucks from Daddy GM? I'm sure there is a certain amount of justification involved, but if they can, I do believe they will.
Bottom line for you ... sounds minor AND they are taking care of you and your car!
You've got that backwards. Dealers make less money on warranty work and more money on non-warranty service and repairs.

Get notified of new replies

To ENGINE BlOWN?????????? HELP????

Old 02-05-2008, 08:09 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 866 Likes on 609 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by saplumr
You've got that backwards. Dealers make less money on warranty work and more money on non-warranty service and repairs.
"customer pay" is always more profitable for the dealer. This dealer is doing right. Kuddos to them.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:16 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

AHAHAHAAHAH I just got a call from the service dept. The are waiting for parts now The good part is he is again saying that it appears to be minor(the damage) Still not for sure yet until they put everything together. Sounds like you have had experience with the no parts in stock prob Anyways I again asked him if they were treating it as warranty work and his reply was yes I said I appreciated it and he said " well you bought the car from us so we want to try and take care of you". That is exactly what I wanted to here. I feel like in some ways dealers give vette owners some preferencial treatment because of the large sum of money we drop.. Sounds bad and I hate to think of it like that. Sure would hope they would do that for anyone who had a prob like mine. Anyways so far so good
I've had decent luck with my local chevy dealer with a few warranty problems. They have treated me well, and I always make a point of thanking the tech that did the work. I don't know if it helps, but being polite and appreciative never hurts.

I'm glad things are working out in your favor.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 361 Likes on 160 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Wise move on the dealer's and GM's parts. It is a WELL documented issue (happened to my '05). Not all Corvettes get driven a lot, thus, many of the '05s won't have the problem occur until well after the warranty period expires. GM should have done a recall.

I honestly hope they foot the bill for any and all failures due to this issue, regardless of when it happens.

Quick Reply: ENGINE BlOWN?????????? HELP????