C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 suspension. Advantages?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:36 PM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mbroadway
What are the advantages of having, or disadvantages of not having, the Z51 suspension in the C6?

I'm not a racer, although I might decide to step into it occasionally. The cars I'm considering have the Magnetic Selective Ride, but not the Z51. Are those connected in any way? Is a C6 without the Z51 as safe and stable on the road? Is there a big, noticable difference?

Thanks in advance for your expert input.

Michael
I'd say Magnetic Selective Ride is safer for most people than Z51 for sure, I have Z51 and in a corner with a bump it is affected way more than with MSR. Also Z51 on a pothole or cobblestone road is hell. The only downside I can see to MSR is the sensors going bad, but there is no history to support this. I'd say you are making the right choice, enjoy I'm betting your wife will like MSR much more than Z51.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:42 PM
cody6.0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adconti
That's exactly the problem, people buy a car with 1600 bucks of mods from the factory and feel they have to wear it on their sleeves for all to see. I'm not really knocking the Z51, its quite capable for what it is for, but new technology is evolving that is starting to surpass the bare bones stiff suspensions of yester-year. MSRC is here to stay, and in a few years I doubt Z51 will even be offered on a vette. All they need to do is offer the F55 with the coolers, gearing, tires, and stiffer sway bars of the Z51 package, and you will have something that can compete with the best of them. The reason Gm has not done that is the MSRC system if combined with all the other Z51 features would add 4k to the base car. We mention the ZR1 because , well because we can. The ZR1 is not offered with Z51 susp. It uses MSRC and that is all. There is nothing wrong with the Z51 susp package, its just really not that big a deal. All three suspensions have their place, they each have advantages and disadvantages and serve different people well. If you want to badge the car an F55 or Z51 knock yourself out, but to those of us that bought the car to drive it, and not just to impress our adolescent friends, the badges and titles really sound lame. IMHO

You are the kind of people I was describing. And why would one badge a F55 car it has no performance over a base model.

Then again like I said you are one of the folks I already described.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cody6.0
You are the kind of people I was describing. And why would one badge a F55 car it has no performance over a base model.
Sure it does. In 06 F55 equipped C6's started using the FE2 suspension instead of the base FE1 used on 05's. The F55 also comes with the same brakes as the Z51. On your list you forget the people that put down the F55 and really don't know anything about it.

Last edited by Corvette Junkie; 02-12-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:02 PM
ORANGEC6VERT
Racer

I think the F55 option is a complete waste, but I have had Verts with and without Z51, and the firmer, flatter ride is much nicer. Plus, I like the drilled rotors.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Larry R
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ORANGEC6VERT
I think the F55 option is a complete waste, but I have had Verts with and without Z51, and the firmer, flatter ride is much nicer. Plus, I like the drilled rotors.
To each his own. BTW, my F55 equipped car has the drilled rotors same as a Z51.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry R
To each his own. BTW, my F55 equipped car has the drilled rotors same as a Z51.
See what I mean about people putting down the F55 and not knowing anything about it?
Old 02-12-2008, 02:25 PM
bksnoopy
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wayne O
In brief, the Z51 suspension was designed for the parking lot autocross enthusiast and is a fine suspension providing a 'firmer' ride than the base suspension. The F55 (magnetic) suspension is a technologically advanced suspension now being used in certain models of Ferrari as well as in other make cars. A version of the MagneRide suspension is also being used in the new ZR1 'super' Vette. It is IMO the best 'all-around' suspension.

Here are a couple links providing further information about the MagneRide suspension.

http://www.vehicledynamics-expo.com/...y_1/burson.pdf

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...003/msrc2.html

If you would like to read what I consider to be the best article about the F55 suspension in the Corvette, PM me your email address and I will send the article to you.

I think that picture is because yellow is just faster!

Old 02-12-2008, 02:34 PM
geezer04
Intermediate

Im sure that many will not agree, but I have no problem with the base suspension. At this time I run two 06 Convertibles, both with base suspension. I'm not a racer, nor will I ever be. The cars were bought to run on the highway, around the city and with runs into the mountains. The initial drive with these cars was a run out of Tenn. to western Canada (2500 miles in a little over 2 days) The suspension/cars were awesome. I think the base suspension turns the car into a very nice touring car - performing very well - straight and curves, and very comfortable. Even on some roads that are not real smooth, one does not feel beat up. So, I for one do not have a problem with the base suspension. I really wonder how many Corvettes are bought and used like mine - just really nice cars to drive, but not raced or thrown into curves pushing the limit of the car and mostly the driver.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:48 PM
adconti
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Then again like I said you are one of the folks I already described.
The trouble is, you just described yourself. You obviously don't have any idea what the MSRC is. We have track data on the forum that has been posted in the past that shows F55 does as well as the Z51 in performance. Sorry to have hurt your feelings. You obviously are very sensitive about Your Z51 choice, and the pride you feel for it. If it makes you feel better, I will say that the Z51 is the best suspension in the world, and all others are just crap, even speed racer would have a "Z51 vette" if he could! There is that better..... ................................... .....Not.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:54 PM
bksnoopy
Drifting

Originally Posted by geezer04
Im sure that many will not agree, but I have no problem with the base suspension. At this time I run two 06 Convertibles, both with base suspension. I'm not a racer, nor will I ever be. The cars were bought to run on the highway, around the city and with runs into the mountains. The initial drive with these cars was a run out of Tenn. to western Canada (2500 miles in a little over 2 days) The suspension/cars were awesome. I think the base suspension turns the car into a very nice touring car - performing very well - straight and curves, and very comfortable. Even on some roads that are not real smooth, one does not feel beat up. So, I for one do not have a problem with the base suspension. I really wonder how many Corvettes are bought and used like mine - just really nice cars to drive, but not raced or thrown into curves pushing the limit of the car and mostly the driver.

But ...

Many options are purchased because you just want them! It won't hurt the resale. The Z51 is a cool package. ... And you can get Z51 badges too

Old 02-12-2008, 03:08 PM
adconti
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by geezer04
The base suspension is a lot of car! Better than 99% of the cars on the road, and is an ample performer. Even it is world class!
Old 02-12-2008, 03:14 PM
cody6.0
Instructor

Originally Posted by adconti
The trouble is, you just described yourself. You obviously don't have any idea what the MSRC is. We have track data on the forum that has been posted in the past that shows F55 does as well as the Z51 in performance. Sorry to have hurt your feelings. You obviously are very sensitive about Your Z51 choice, and the pride you feel for it. If it makes you feel better, I will say that the Z51 is the best suspension in the world, and all others are just crap, even speed racer would have a "Z51 vette" if he could! There is that better..... ................................... .....Not.

Sorry pal but I know more about the MSRC than alot of people here. I didn't want F55 for a reason it is only a suspension upgrade with the minor addition of the brake rotors. Why are you even pretending as if the Z51 package is just a suspension anyway? Your just one more ignorant *** that bashes what he doesn't have. I am 29 and don't need a soft on my *** mode in my Corvette.

Out of the two of us you sound more like the show off than I do.

I have had numerous F-Bodies around 20, a 2006 GTO and even a few Mustangs. I bought a Vette to be a sports car if I wanted a smooth ride I would have kept my GTO.

By the way I don't let people on the internet as you put it hurt my feelings. I just laugh at people like you.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:29 PM
adconti
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry pal but I know more about the MSRC than alot of people here. I didn't want F55 for a reason it is only a suspension upgrade with the minor addition of the brake rotors. Why are you even pretending as if the Z51 package is just a suspension anyway? Your just one more ignorant *** that bashes what he doesn't have. I am 29 and don't need a soft on my *** mode in my Corvette.

I have had numerous F-Bodies around 20, a 2006 GTO and even a few Mustangs. I bought a Vette to be a sports car if I wanted a smooth ride I would have kept my GTO.

By the way I don't let people on the internet as you put it hurt my feelings. I just laugh at people like you.
I payed cash for my vette, and now I am adding a seperate 30k garage just for the vette, I could have bought a Zo6 and I could certainly pay cash for a ZR1. I chose the C6 with F55 because I like the technology and the car for everyday use. I did not avoid the Z51 for economic reasons, I did not get it because I did not want it. (the F55 is more$$)I actually changed my order for a Z51 to the F55 in mid ordering process after learning more about the F55. So far it has been a fantastic ride, and I have been pulling over 1G in the corners. The F55 in sport mode is as rigid or at least close to the Z51. I never use tour mode except over speed bumps. The F55 also adds a computer controlled damping system that controls how the shocks react to changing road conditions, in 1/1000of a second response times. It is much more intricate than you are aware. It is kind of like traction control, for the shocks! That has nothing to do with the little **** in the car that softens things up for those with spinal arthritis etc.

Last edited by adconti; 02-12-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:42 PM
TLK
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

One issue to consider is test driving. Ideally, you would want to test drive both Z51 and F55 to make your decision. This may or may not be possible.

Boardwalk, for instance, has only one car to drive, and it is a stripper 1LT Z51. They don't order anything but Z51 for their stock, and of course they don't let you drive those, or the customer ordered F55 cars.

Go see if you can make up your own mind. But if you can't drive both, consider whether the one you did drive seemed acceptable to you.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:01 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by keith5
F'n Road & Track and Car & Driver .. Those friggin leftwing, European lickin', automobile ghey snobs.... They have ZERO credibility with "those who drive a car hard a lot" crowd. Bunch of G'dam wanna be racer/designer/car-magazine-editor goobers whose mommy and daddy are still sending them a stipend hoping that six years at Berkeley Journalism will land them on the 6 o'clock news.
Don't hold back.Tell us how you really feel!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 04:06 PM
bksnoopy
Drifting

Originally Posted by nmerhaut
Don't hold back.Tell us how you really feel!!!
"Why can't we all just get along"?

Sorry, I think I’ve been drinking too much of Pappy’s medicine.

Last edited by bksnoopy; 02-12-2008 at 04:13 PM. Reason: update
Old 02-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Larry R
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I purchased a F55 on my car after test driving both the base suspension and the Z51. As I said, to each his own. I am disappointed that this discusson has gotten to the point of personal attacks. C'mon guys lets keep this on a higher level, just stick to the topics.

Last edited by Larry R; 02-12-2008 at 04:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 suspension. Advantages?

Old 02-12-2008, 04:25 PM
garye
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '21

F'n Road & Track and Car & Driver .. Those friggin leftwing, European lickin', automobile ghey snobs.... They have ZERO credibility with "those who drive a car hard a lot" crowd. Bunch of G'dam wanna be racer/designer/car-magazine-editor goobers whose mommy and daddy are still sending them a stipend hoping that six years at Berkeley Journalism will land them on the 6 o'clock news.
Tell us how you really feel
Old 02-12-2008, 04:39 PM
adconti
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

The reason I post , along with others, about the F55, is not to bash the Z51 or the base. Its to educate people about this new technology and its application to auto performance. Now that it is being applied to the ZR1 it has become more ceterstage and will likely be tweaked even more to a new performance edge. It is sad to have arguments with posters that think the only purpose of the F55 is a button that softens the ride. Its like arguing with a brick. But, hence, that is why I am here. To help lead those from darkness into the light!
Old 02-12-2008, 04:39 PM
bksnoopy
Drifting

I think?

But I do know that yellow is faster!

Quick Reply: Z51 suspension. Advantages?