C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If your tuner locks his tunes it voids your warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Dave O
Melting Slicks

Received 1,412 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by MNVette
You got it - let's say you bolt on a new set of rims and your rotors go bad or your brakes act up. Now, maybe the new rims were a part of that or maybe not. GM could easily say you put something onto the car that we didn't at the factory, so why do you expect us to pay for the repair? I'm not saying GM would go to that extreme, but they could. You should be prepared to pay if you're going to mod. Period.
You are correct that if you install a part and it screws something up you most likely are liable, and GM will not cover it. Would I install a blower and expect to retain my warranty, no. If I installed 4:10 gears would I expect GM to still cover the rear end, no. But come on. We are talking about a tune here. If you pick a reputable tuner you are only going to see positive results. Nothing is going to get screwed up. As I stated in my earlier post, worrying about voiding your warranty because of a tune is like worrying about a meteor falling on your head - the risk is very low.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:49 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mneblett
My last three checks in NoVa have been by OBDII port -- no sniffer, no engine compartment connections. Just a VIN chec, a (very fast) visual, and start the computer and run the car. The only additional bit is to insert an instrumented gas cap for propery vapor recovery operational check (again, via the OBDII port code output).
I guess that method is here now, that's good to know. Do you happen to have a tune? Or have any of the emission tested folks with a tune gone through this OBDII emission test and failed because you had a tune? Like Chuck mentioned, I haven't heard of anyone failing for having a tune.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:06 PM
KarlK
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Personally, if I was skilled enough to be a tuner, I would demand all of my tunes be locked. Too much risk and liability leaving it unlocked for hackers to tweak a tune and potentially causing other issues down the road.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:07 PM
wbear
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bent
If you are planning to mod your car, go to the local dealer and talk to the service manager and see what he can do for you. Mine is an avid racer (drives pro mod) and is cool with headers/tune/other bolt-ons. He stressed no internal work and no nitrous. Simple. Some are strict by the book and some aren't.
Thats what I did, eased all my worries.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:07 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyC6
I guess that method is here now, that's good to know. Do you happen to have a tune? Or have any of the emission tested folks with a tune gone through this OBDII emission test and failed because you had a tune? Like Chuck mentioned, I haven't heard of anyone failing for having a tune.

Nobody has failed because the new software testing has not begun!! If you noted what that member said in my post, its "new" and "coming soon". Not past or present, but future!

However, as posted by another member here, its now been confirmed right here, in the present, that the smog police got software to tell if you cleared codes.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:18 PM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like we are going to need two ECMs.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:30 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mvcrash
Sounds like we are going to need two ECMs.
As somebody else also mentioned, keep one stock with the stock tunes/codes and the other with the tune. Plug and play.

I know the ECM you can buy from the GM parts counter does not come calibrated, so I assume it has to be flashed once-say with my HP Tuner and oem stock file. Keeping it flashed once saves you from the check of "For 2007-2008 applications, an Engine Control Module (ECM) algorithm was implemented that records the engine calibration part number and Calibration Verification Number (CVN) for the last 10 flash programming events."

Last edited by siffert; 02-15-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Cool Rod
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading a lot of tuning threads posted all over this site. I'm getting tuned next week.

In this particular thread alone, as I write this there have been 1324 views and it's one of the most heavily read posts.

No one has come forward and said that dealer denial of service happened to him due to tuning.

Has anyone personally been denied service by a dealer because they tuned their car, no matter whether it was locked or unlocked?

I haven't come across any first hand accounts in all my reading and I think this is a tempest in a teapot.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:30 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

You're correct; no one has come forward and said, " I got denied service and I had a tune."

Old 02-15-2008, 06:47 PM
bosco 08
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this thread delivers
Old 02-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Fuego
Burning Brakes

As for the ORIGINAL purpose of the thread, again, locked or unlocked is irrelevant. Who cares? The real issue is whether or not a tune will get you into trouble come warranty-claim time. I think even Chuck would agree that the answer to that is a resounding YES.
I called Chuck, and he said "no worries about warranty". His tunes come w/ the latest version of GM's software and it is registered in the GM database. If they look it up, they see it has updated by a GM service dept. So it has no need for a re flash by them and no money for them if they did reflash it. So, NO trouble come warranty time. And really, why would GM mess with your computer when a light goes out, or your radio is blown, or your rear end makes noise?Don't worry.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:44 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Fuego
I called Chuck, and he said "no worries about warranty". His tunes come w/ the latest version of GM's software and it is registered in the GM database. If they look it up, they see it has updated by a GM service dept. So it has no need for a re flash by them and no money for them if they did reflash it. So, NO trouble come warranty time. And really, why would GM mess with your computer when a light goes out, or your radio is blown, or your rear end makes noise?Don't worry.
Really?? Dont worry?

Actually, my GM dealer did mess with my ECM a few months after I purchased my car and way before I got my HP Tuner or any mods. I had some wiring problem with my 3LT rearview mirror (it was acting like it was not connected) and very odd things were happening to my car, codes and warning lights. Took it in to the dealer and they had to replace the mirror and for some reason they had to reflash my (luckily) stock (no tune) ECM.

Now pray tell me what the Service Manager would have said, if my ECM was "locked" and since it was "locked" they could get NOT get into it to re-flash it???? Certainly not "Dont worry"! It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out they would have denied it. I would not blame them. With my oem stock ecm, warranty claim accepted.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Dave O
Melting Slicks

Received 1,412 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by siffert
Really?? Dont worry?

Actually, my GM dealer did mess with my ECM a few months after I purchased my car and way before I got my HP Tuner or any mods. I had some wiring problem with my 3LT rearview mirror (it was acting like it was not connected) and very odd things were happening to my car, codes and warning lights. Took it in to the dealer and they had to replace the mirror and for some reason they had to reflash my (luckily) stock (no tune) ECM.

Now pray tell me what the Service Manager would have said, if my ECM was "locked" and since it was "locked" they could get NOT get into it to re-flash it???? Certainly not "Dont worry"! It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out they would have denied it. I would not blame them. With my oem stock ecm, warranty claim accepted.
I do agree that if you go into the dealer with a locked ECM and they need to flash it you could have an issue. This is one reason why mine is not locked, just in case I need a service call. If they flash it, I just go back to my tuner and he can download the tuning parameters again.

Since you have HP tuners, you must not be too worried about warranty work either by modifying your stock tune. I still stand by my previous comments, worrying about warranty coverage because of a tune is like worrying that a meteor might hit you on the head. There is little probability of either, as there has been no one on this forum to my knowledge that has been denied warranty service because if a tune.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:17 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

here's a thought....why not just buy another computer?.....you have your stock computer and a tuned computer....easily swapped out.....would that work?
Old 02-15-2008, 08:26 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

You gotta love internet lawyers, speculaters and emissions experts .......

These same topics have been around since before OBD2 hit the death nail on computers mods.

Either crap or get off the pot
Old 02-15-2008, 08:30 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gilly6993
here's a thought....why not just buy another computer?.....you have your stock computer and a tuned computer....easily swapped out.....would that work?
That was already discussed above. Yes, that apears to be a good idea in leiu of the possibility the dealer can check your ECM and see how many times it has been updated or checksum. You buy it, flash it (I think) once and just store it for the time you need to go into the dealer. So you need to buy a ECM ($275) and either your own Tuning hardware/software or get someone locally that can do it...and hopefully does not lock it! Its kinda like "ECM" GMMP insurance.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been reading this entire thread, and I don't see anyone bashing a particular tuner. Aren't we being just a little paranoid?

As for "banning" a poster because they are saying things you disagree with, well that's smacks a little of Stalin's Soviet Union, doesn't it? I understand being angry with someone stating falsehoods, but if their opinion disagrees with yours, well, that's America, isn't it?

As for the ORIGINAL purpose of the thread, again, locked or unlocked is irrelevant. Who cares? The real issue is whether or not a tune will get you into trouble come warranty-claim time. I think even Chuck would agree that the answer to that is a resounding YES.
I agree, don't see any bashing of vendors, but I do see bashing of fellow forum members. When you start taking personnal jabs at your fellow members, you should be locked out. I believe your words were "The amount of ill-informed rank silliness makes me laugh sometimes." You can hide an insult anyway you like, but we are all smart enough to know what you are saying. I will listen to the expert opinion of Chuck anytime over the "rank sillness" comments of others.

Get notified of new replies

To If your tuner locks his tunes it voids your warranty

Old 02-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Z06forski
Racer

Originally Posted by siffert
Really?? Dont worry?

bottom line is if you dont want your ECM locked, then dont go to atuner that locks it.

i chose chuck because of his knowledge, expertise and professionalism. yes, my tune is locked. i have no problems and hope not to, i got tuned knowing full well the ramifications. i trust him more than i do with myself and " DIY HP tuner". that is the cheaper way out and yes you can flash back to stock. big deal. try flashing back to stock after you burn a whole in a piston so there are no error codes and then go to the dealer. what do you think happens then. just my opinion but your posts seem to show up quite a bit when travelling tuners or tune locking shows up and the slant is negative in the most part. we all have choices, get tuned or not, post what ifs or not. enjoy your car any way you like it.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
If you surf this forum, and this thread in particular, you will notice that there are three usernames which continually pop up on this site and others continually posting the same incorrect information while at the same time directly or indirectly implying that you should not get tuned by "Chuck CoW" because he locks his tunes. They do not target other tuners and it is evident by the pattern of posting (if you investigate their posting history) that these posts are not legitimate in nature, but by design [B]repeatedly, directly, and intentionally attempt to discredit what I do and take business away from Corvettes of Westchester.

I've noticed the same members show up in your threads trying to poke holes in the way you tune and the problems associated with locking your tune!

All I can say is I wish these same members would call you instead of "waiting" for a Chuck CoW thread to post their displeasure at how you do business!

I was present when you asked a member on this forum if he wanted his tune locked and he clearly said "YES"....I on the other hand asked you to leave mine unlocked and you did!

At this point I don't care if they void my warranty....I decided to have a tune so if anything happens it was my decision to alter the stock tune and no one elses!

Keep tuning Chuck and ignore the naysayers .
Old 02-15-2008, 09:37 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Any one individual making a blanket statement that altering the factory tune will definitely void the warranty is making a statement that has absolutely no foundation. My servicing dealer (which I have dealt with for 16 years) "knows exactly" what mods have been done to my car and are fully aware the car no longer has the factory tune. Never once has this been an issue!!

Quick Reply: If your tuner locks his tunes it voids your warranty