C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed my yellow gauges (how to many pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Pipedreams
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by ZeusC6
One would think with all the sales this guy is getting from Ed and The Corvette Forum he would offer to do the clusters for free to forum members, especially since it only takes an experienced installer less than an hour to do.

Actualy I stops shipping and selling them last week unless the customer is clear on the risks. I refunded all the orders that I did not ship and as stated Harry did offer to do it for free (you pay shipping)

Last edited by Pipedreams; 03-23-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:00 PM
ZeusC6
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Pipedreams
Actualy I stops shipping and selling them last week unless the customer is clear on the risks. I refund all the orders that I did not ship and as stated Harry did offer to do it for free (you pay shipping)
That wasn't exactly directed towards you Ed, just a suggestion to US Speedo to maybe do the right thing here for Corvette Forum members. The buyers are already spending money to ship their clusters out to him. Now they have to spend 20 back.

Last edited by ZeusC6; 03-23-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

I like the blue!
Old 03-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 253 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Tom_Slick

I like the blue!
I'm sorry to say they are nowhere near that color. They are much darker and too close to black to risk pulling the pins out. I bought them but have to pay to return them. Its not Eds fault but that misleading picture should be deleted IMHO. I bought mine based on that picture so now I'm out the money and hassle of returning them as that is not what you receive.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Pipedreams
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I'm sorry to say they are nowhere near that color. They are much darker and too close to black to risk pulling the pins out. I bought them but have to pay to return them. Its not Eds fault but that misleading picture should be deleted IMHO. I bought mine based on that picture so now I'm out the money and hassle of returning them as that is not what you receive.
Ihave only seen one picture of them installed taken with a flash and they looked close to the stock photo, I wish someone would post the under normal lighting. If yoy got them from me send the back to me and I will credit you back, address on my web site
Old 03-23-2008, 07:58 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,914 Likes on 1,924 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Under direct sunlight is that what they look like? My white ones look darker in the car than before I installed them. Our gauge cluster is reset and very dark. The white still look great but are not as white looking as the white ones on my sons dodge truck.

At least Ed is doing the right thing. A vendor with lower standards would have had a sale on them to make as much money as fast as he could.

Thanks Ed We know you have our backs. That means a lot.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:07 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

You are correct on the compression fit on both the motor side and the needle side. When the pin comes out you still can insert it with it still having a tight fit in the motor, it feels like it can still operate but does not. About the only way to insure the pin does not come out is to drill a hole on the side of the guage and hold the pin with a long needle nose.
That's exactly my plan so I'll see how difficult that is to actually do. Fortunately I have a fairly complete shop so I'm pretty sure I can do it without damaging anything. I'll take pics and report back. I still think it's a great looking mod and worth the effort to get it accomplished.....
Old 03-23-2008, 08:24 PM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 92 Posts

Here is a pic when I had them in my car. Also, this is with a camera flash. They are not this bright in plain eye's view.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 253 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Ihave only seen one picture of them installed taken with a flash and they looked close to the stock photo, I wish someone would post the under normal lighting. If yoy got them from me send the back to me and I will credit you back, address on my web site
I did get them from you, and you agreed to take the return and I appreciate that! I was too busy with work last week to return them. I think you'll see when you get them back that they are nowhere near that picture and you should delete that picture.

Wayback they are definitely dark blue in bright sunlight, but not that bright blue. They are closer to black than that bright blue. Plus seldom do we get direct sunlight on our gauges down in the cluster like they are so I'm sure nobody will notice they are not black when installed.

It's just not worth the risk to me of ruining my gauges for the very slight difference the blue is.

Plus, and this is a little silly I'll admit, but our stock gauges have very fine graduations (100 rpm hash marks, 1 mph hash marks, 1 gallon gas gauge hash marks, temp gauge has twice as many hash marks in the area where it's at most of the time, oil pressure is every 5 psi vs. 10 on these aftermarket gauges, etc). And my gauges are dead nuts accurate to the HUD. They appear to be very fine instruments, which they are. These aftermarket gauges look like the gauges in my F150, with only 5 mph hash marks, and generally about 1/2 the hash marks as the factory gauges so they are much less precise. They just look cheap to me IMHO. If our factory gauges are a Rolex, these are a Casio.

Sorry to post that Ed but I'm a little peeved that the blue picture is so far off what you get and had I paid closer attention to the gauges in the first place and noticed the lack of graduations I would have never bought them. I don't want others who might feel the same as me to waste their time or yours.

Last edited by Joe_G; 03-23-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:20 PM
ZeusC6
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Plus, and this is a little silly I'll admit, but our stock gauges have very fine graduations (100 rpm hash marks, 1 mph hash marks, 1 gallon gas gauge hash marks, temp gauge has twice as many hash marks in the area where it's at most of the time, oil pressure is every 5 psi vs. 10 on these aftermarket gauges, etc). And my gauges are dead nuts accurate to the HUD. They appear to very fine instruments, which they are. These aftermarket gauges look like the gauges in my F150, with only 5 mph hash marks, and generally about 1/2 the hash marks as the factory gauges so they are much less precise. They just look cheap to me IMHO. If our factory gauges are a Rolex, these are a Casio.
Wow, thanks for pointing that out. Thats not a silly little thing by any means. I can see how that makes it look on the cheesy side when you compare the pics in this thread. More detail looks ALOT better in my book.
I'm amazed that they make them that way, why not match the OEM graduations?

Last edited by ZeusC6; 03-23-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:12 PM
gochwks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed some red ones and when I twisted them while pulling every one of the pins came out with the needle except for one.Now Ive tried just about everything to get them to show correct speed,temp etc.with no success.What a pita.Any one with answers are more then welcome to pm me.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:21 PM
gochwks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed some red ones and when I twisted them while pulling every one of the pins came out with the needle except for one.Now Ive tried just about everything to get them to show correct speed,temp etc.with no success.What a pita.Any one with answers are more then welcome to pm me.

Quick Reply: Just installed my yellow gauges (how to many pics)