C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't decide between LS3 and Z06? Read me.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 07:19 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Hey HULKSDADDY...Nice AVATAR!!!
Old 05-26-2008, 07:34 PM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jesse12804
Hey HULKSDADDY...Nice AVATAR!!!
Old 05-26-2008, 07:35 PM
dingrao
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 106 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Agreed. The LS3 is a friggin monster, and many reviews have said that the improved handling mixed with the power in the '08 won't make you feel like you are missing out if you didn't drop 70k+ on a Z06.

Also, top speed on the '08 is damn close to the Z06. With a few bolt-ons, you have a car every bit as bad-*** as the Z06.

The Z06 is a phenominal car, but I couln't justify paying 30k more for it.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:15 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by achilds
I have an 06 Z51 with mods that puts out 400 rwhp and almost as much torque. I have test driven an LS3 and in the stock form it wasn't any quicker than my LS2.
Your modded LS2 '06 Z51 is making in the neighborhood of, well actually just a tad more power, than a stock LS3 with NPP. Same as mine was. Thats why.

I am not going to argue that a similar modded LS3 isn't faster, it is. Now to the point I test drove an 08 Z06 today. I was able to take it back up through some nice canyon areas and my readers digest version is that neither the LS3 or my modded LS2 compares to this car. More power and torque across the board. Handles better and the brakes are better.The fact that you can buy one now for 65K is incredible. For my money I would spend the extra 20K to buy the Z in a heart beat. There is no way the LS3 compares to this beast!
What you found out yesterday or day before, is what many of us have found out.

I see that your C6 is up for sale now over in the for sale section of the forum. Small wonder after driving that Z06.

Good luck with your sale.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:48 PM
mcwire
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting reading -- Although, I have not driven a Z06, with the extra 69 - 75 H.P., vs the LS3, the difference in the SOTP feel, has to be very significant.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:09 PM
ranger 66
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I don't want to beat a dead horse or add fuel to the fire, but I have a C6 Z51 and was curous about the Z06, so I went to the dealer yesterday to check one out. I got to drive it and the salesman insisted I put it through it's paces to feel the power. As we all know the C6 is pretty powerful, but the Z just has more power throughout the RPM range. It was pretty impressive to me. I am really considering taking the plunge. I have to see how much of a bath I am going to take on a 2 month old car! Either way you go regular C6 or Z06, it is a awesome car.

RLTW
Old 05-26-2008, 09:51 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I can't afford to test drive one.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:02 PM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dingrao
Agreed. The LS3 is a friggin monster, and many reviews have said that the improved handling mixed with the power in the '08 won't make you feel like you are missing out if you didn't drop 70k+ on a Z06.

Also, top speed on the '08 is damn close to the Z06. With a few bolt-ons, you have a car every bit as bad-*** as the Z06.

The Z06 is a phenominal car, but I couln't justify paying 30k more for it.

You can get Z's for GMS pricing now so it really isn't 30K, more like 20K. A 2LT coupe with Z51 and NPP is 44700, at GMS pricing, the 1LZ is about 63K GMS I think, a 2LT is around 67K. I hear there are even GM rebates for an additional 1500 to 3000 bucks to be had. Still it is a good bit more. Given the way my LS2 car runs with headers etc, I can't justify selling to go to an LS3 car. If I can swing the Z that will be the next car in my garage.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:01 AM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by RRVettes
Good comparisons, thanks! Gotta love these vettes...all of them!!
Old 05-27-2008, 12:13 AM
Lucky13
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get Z's for GMS pricing now so it really isn't 30K, more like 20K. A 2LT coupe with Z51 and NPP is 44700, at GMS pricing, the 1LZ is about 63K GMS I think, a 2LT is around 67K. I hear there are even GM rebates for an additional 1500 to 3000 bucks to be had. Still it is a good bit more. Given the way my LS2 car runs with headers etc, I can't justify selling to go to an LS3 car. If I can swing the Z that will be the next car in my garage.
This is exactly what I found 3 weeks ago and why my VY C6 is now a VR Z06. The price difference right now is not as great as many people think.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Indyxc
Intermediate

I'm on the fence of this decision right now.

I'm either going to buy a 08 LS3 NPP Z51 car, or an 06 Z06 used. The regular c6 would be a no brainer if the z06 didn't exist. I wouldn't even think twice about any aspect of it, but it's got it beat in every aspect except price, removable top, and around town drive ability.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:30 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Indyxc
I'm on the fence of this decision right now.

I'm either going to buy a 08 LS3 NPP Z51 car, or an 06 Z06 used. The regular c6 would be a no brainer if the z06 didn't exist. I wouldn't even think twice about any aspect of it, but it's got it beat in every aspect except price, removable top, and around town drive ability.
The original poster of this thread, has since sold his '08 Coupe, if that means anything to you.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2027470

My Z,... is still with me and they will have to pry it's FOB from my cold, dead, hands.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Bobz08C6
Burning Brakes

MY MSRP on an '08 C6 Coupe, NPP, Z51, 3LT, Nav was $59,850. To get a fully equipped Z06 was $82,000. I passed on the Z06. Didn't think it was worth the difference in price, had no removeable roof or vert and can't get the A6 paddles.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:38 PM
jimmybobby
Drifting

Originally Posted by GotVett?
I can't afford to test drive one.
You and me both pal. With the pricing on the Zs right now, I'm thinking "how can I NOT afford to get one - they won't get any cheaper." I'll try running that one past the wifey and see how it goes.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Indyxc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
The original poster of this thread, has since sold his '08 Coupe, if that means anything to you.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2027470

My Z,... is still with me and they will have to pry it's FOB from my cold, dead, hands.
Interesting. So he sold it for a z06?

I know if I bought a z06, I wouldn't regret it. It would be a car you could keep forever, because in reality the mix of power and style is pretty timeless. The only thing it is missing is fancy electronics such as launch control.

But the difference in a 08 Ls3 and 06 z06 is about 10k, plus the difference in taxes and insurance. Likewise it would be very nice to own a new car, and not have to absorb someone else's mistakes. I hate dings and scratches.

Well see. I've still got a bit to decide as I want to put 35k down on either, and about 5k away on the down payment. I should be buying a house, but at age 24 I got time. :0

Has anyone purchased a z06, and then sold it for a ls3 c6? Doubtful.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:52 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Interesting. So he sold it for a z06?

I know if I bought a z06, I wouldn't regret it. It would be a car you could keep forever, because in reality the mix of power and style is pretty timeless. The only thing it is missing is fancy electronics such as launch control.

But the difference in a 08 Ls3 and 06 z06 is about 10k, plus the difference in taxes and insurance. Likewise it would be very nice to own a new car, and not have to absorb someone else's mistakes. I hate dings and scratches.
Don't know what Cerino2000 is buying next. Just know that he apparently has sold the '08 which was being discussed at the top of this thread.

And I am about to go and take a ride in my Z.

But to your other concerns, I'd say thats why you find a very/ultra low mileage '06 or '07 and go from there.

If you are willing to look, you can find '06s and '07s out there with less than 1500 miles on them.

Well see. I've still got a bit to decide as I want to put 35k down on either, and about 5k away on the down payment. I should be buying a house, but at age 24 I got time. :0

Has anyone purchased a z06, and then sold it for a ls3 c6? Doubtful.
There have been a couple. Typically either the extreme power or the payment or both motivated it though.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:29 PM
asby69
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I can offer yet another opinion on this issue, here's why:

I own (up until today anyway) an 07 3LT Z51 MR Coupe. I absolutely love this car... but I've been looking at/for an 08 3LT Z51 NPP JSB Coupe. Went to a dealer in Knoxville, TN today and drove the 08 NPP coupe. I drove my 07 there so I had a fresh reminder on how it drove and the power which it has.

The LS3 (mind you I'm referring to the 436hp here) had (in my opinion) a measurable difference in power, sounded better ('specially when "getting on it"), and had a smoother feel than my 07. All in all a very nice drive.

During my visit there the owner of the dealership ask me "why not a Z06"? Just so happens they have an 08 2LZ JSB Z06 in the showroom. I told him "depends on the cost" (sticker was almost 80k). He asks "wanna drive it".... I try to act not too excited and said "sure". When I pulled it out of the showroom it had 9 miles on it.

My opinion on the Z;

That thing is bad a*s. I did not "get on it" so to speak but it had a hell of a difference in power than either my 07 or the 08 LS3 but did have a stiffer ride than either of the other two. The shifting in the Z was a little more "clunky" that what I imagined it would be but maybe that's because I'm used the A6. As another poster stated the braking is very different, much better in the Z. The body on the Z is bad a*s too and my only "complaint", if you will, is the fact that the roof doesn't come off (if you can call that a complaint). I did notice that the fuel economy was not as good in the Z as my 07, the Z was averaging around 15-16 mpg where my 07 averages 26-27 in the city. All in all it's a lot more car than either of the other two.

The salesman that rode with me kinda joked with the owner when I got back that I wouldn't "get on it".... I told the owner that it wasn't my car and that I had to respect that

They did offer me, what I think, was a hell of a deal on the Z, they knocked the price down to 71 and change........... very, very tempting

After all that I now own a 2008 3LT, Z51, NPP, JSB Coupe

As we all know, we own a Vette for pete's sake!! Enjoy what you have and save the wave!!

PS: Almost forgot, they also had a ZR1 in the showroom.............................. yes it was a 91 ZR1 but kinda cool none the less!

Last edited by asby69; 06-06-2008 at 11:35 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Can't decide between LS3 and Z06? Read me.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:38 PM
sranger
Racer

The Z06 is one of the best performing cars in the world. I think the fact that you can get one for $60-70K makes it the best sports car that you can buy of the money. I drove one and was really impressed with it's performance. Is it worth the difference in price?

Not to me, but I can see why some people think it is.

However, One drive with the top off and I knew that I had no regrets. If I ever crave Z06 performance, it is just a few mods away. I can honestly say that even if they were the same price, I would still have the same car. It was simply the car with the most features/attributes that I wanted. Now if they had offered the LS7 as an option, I have no doubt that I would have got it....

P.S. I drove the C6 in heavy Atlanta Traffic for the first time yesterday. It still sucked, but I smiled all of the way....
Old 06-05-2008, 09:39 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by asby69
I can offer yet another opinion on this issue, here's why:

I own (up until today anyway) an 07 3LT Z51 MR Coupe. I absolutely love this car... but I've been looking at/for an 08 3LT Z51 NPP JSB Coupe. Went to a dealer in Knoxville, TN today and drove the 08 NPP coupe. I drove my 07 there so I had a fresh reminder on how it drove and the power which it has.

The LS3 (mind you I'm referring to the 436hp here) had (in my opinion) a measurable difference in power, sounded better ('specially when "getting on it"), and had a smoother feel than my 07. All in all a very nice drive.

During my visit there the owner of the dealership ask me "why not a Z06"? Just so happens they have an 08 2LZ JSB Z06 in the showroom. I told him "depends on the cost" (sticker was almost 80k). He asks "wanna drive it".... I try to act not too excited and said "sure". When I pulled it out of the showroom it had 9 miles on it.

My opinion on the Z;

That thing is bad a*s. I did not "get on it" so to speak but it had a hell of a difference in power than either my 07 or the 08 LS3 but did have a stiffer ride than either of the other two. The shifting in the Z was a little more "clunky" that what I imagined it would be but maybe that's because I'm used the A6. As another poster stated the braking is very different, much better in the Z. The body on the Z is bad a*s too and my only "complaint", if you will, is the fact that the roof doesn't come off (if you can call that a complaint). I did notice that the fuel economy was not as good in the Z as my 07, the Z was averaging around 15-16 mpg where my 07 averages 26-27 in the city. All in all it's a lot more car than either of the other two.

The salesman that rode with me kinda joked with the owner when I got back that I wouldn't "get on it".... I told the owner that it wasn't my car and that I had to respect that

They did offer me, what I think, was a hell of a deal on the Z, they knocked the price down to 71 and change........... very, very tempting

After all that I now own a 2008 3LT, Z51, NPP, JSB Coupe

As we all know, we own a Vette for pete's sake!! Enjoy what you have and save the wave!!

PS: Almost forgot, they also had a ZR1 in the showroom.............................. yes it was a 91 ZR1 but kinda cool none the less!
Now thats a review. No BS about this or that, or any obvious crap about "mine is just as good" .......thats a review.

Congrats on the new '08 Coupe, but had that Z not been a maxed out Z, with a sticker of 80K I'm thinking you may have wound up with it.

He knocked about 9k off it it seems.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:54 PM
corvette1
Racer

Try a "full pull" in 3rd gear and if you can still say there's little difference in performance between an LS2/LS3 and LS7 you must have a floor mat stuck under the pedal in the Z...

Review the 0-150 mph times again...the Z is anywhere from 6-9 seconds faster, depending on the source. That's movin...

Quick Reply: Can't decide between LS3 and Z06? Read me.