C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting discovery

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Bob_Lager
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting discovery

I noticed that the start button remained lit (the green arrow button) after I got out of my 06 VERT. It just wouldn't go out. Normally the light goes on after your start the engine, but it was in a mode were it went off after you started the engine and off after you shut it down, got out of the car and shut the door. I waited a long time and it was still lit ... I've never had the dreaded DBS, and this looked like it could be a cause of such a thing. I got out the owners manual to see if I could find anything related to the start button staying on, but couldn't find anything.

After a while I noticed that one of my mirror lights was on. Hard to tell on such a sunny day. There is a button on the left side of the instrument panel (next to the power top switch) which causes the interior lights (the mirror lights) to come on and stay on. When I pressed the button to turn of the interior lights ... the green start button turns off! I wish it were not so easy to toggle the interior lights on.

Is this normal operation with the starter button?
Should the interior lights go out after a while?

Last edited by Bob_Lager; 06-08-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:33 PM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, now I do not feel alone with that one. Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. At least we now no that when the green light is showing, some how we hit the switch as we got out.

Whew, now I feel better.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:42 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same thing happen, but I went into the car without my fob and it would not start. So at least that works.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:40 PM
wildcatter
Racer

Originally Posted by Bob_Lager
There is a button on the left side of the instrument panel (next to the power top switch) which causes the interior lights (the mirror lights) to come on and stay on. When I pressed the button to turn of the interior lights ... the green start button turns off! I wish it were not so easy to toggle the interior lights on.
That little button has bit dozens of people on this forum. My first post three years ago was to ask why I couldn't shut my lights off (I apparently hit the button on the way home from the dealer after picking up the car). Over the years many, many others have made similar posts.

I'm glad for this forum, or else I might still be trying to figure that one out.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Wezel
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you all noticed that the mirror map lights on/off buttons work backwards? You pop them out to turn them on and push them in to turn them off.

Or is my car wired backwards?
Old 06-09-2008, 10:21 AM
ringneck
Intermediate

I did the same thing the day I bought my new 08. I was pushing buttons trying to turn the light off and called On Star emergency by mistake. They were very nice about the mis call and said that they are there for us if we need them. Nice to have kind people on line like that. I finally found the off switch but it sure isn't very clear or common like the C5 mirror lights are.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:36 PM
ntjwhitl
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by rakuhn
Well, now I do not feel alone with that one. Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. At least we now no that when the green light is showing, some how we hit the switch as we got out.

Whew, now I feel better.
Just happened to me this weekend. I hit it while cleaning the interior. I also got out the manual,pressed in and out on those map lights, walked away for a few minutes, sweating! Finally just got in, cranked it up, waited for a minute ,and then hit the button to make sure the interior lights went off.

Scared me though Glad I'm not the only one. Felt reeaalllyyy stupid:o
Old 06-09-2008, 08:52 PM
TCKT B8
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 & '11

Originally Posted by Bob_Lager
I noticed that the start button remained lit (the green arrow button) after I got out of my 06 VERT. It just wouldn't go out. Normally the light goes on after your start the engine, but it was in a mode were it went off after you started the engine and off after you shut it down, got out of the car and shut the door. I waited a long time and it was still lit ... I've never had the dreaded DBS, and this looked like it could be a cause of such a thing. I got out the owners manual to see if I could find anything related to the start button staying on, but couldn't find anything.

After a while I noticed that one of my mirror lights was on. Hard to tell on such a sunny day. There is a button on the left side of the instrument panel (next to the power top switch) which causes the interior lights (the mirror lights) to come on and stay on. When I pressed the button to turn of the interior lights ... the green start button turns off! I wish it were not so easy to toggle the interior lights on.

Is this normal operation with the starter button?
Should the interior lights go out after a while?
I had the exact same problem the other day (during the bright sunny daytime) and it took me about 10 minutes to figure out I had pressed the interior light button. I finally noticed the light on the rear view mirror was on - really hard to see in daylight.

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting discovery

Quick Reply: Interesting discovery