C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Bent Wheels on my '05 C6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 07:20 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a little vibration in my rear wheel after mounting new tires. The wheels and tires were fine on the balancing machine however someone told me to take the car to a shop with Hunter 9700 machine which have a road force balance (they put a load on the wheel while it is on the balancer).

I did this and the shop found that one of the tire was out of round and the other wheel was out of round. They did not do any wheel work so I had my wheel repaired at another shop while a new tire was replaced since the tires were new. Now the car drives fine without any vibration. Never knew my left rear wheel was out of round until the new tires and I don't think I hit anything including pothole with my rear wheel.

Just stating that you can have a out of round wheel in the back without knowing about it.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:03 PM
DJ07Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by overrev64
Did the car vibrate at speed? I find it hard to believe that all four wheels would be bent without there being some indication when you were driving the car. Possibly they bent them when they removed the tires? Seems a little strange.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:10 AM
chevyc6z51
Burning Brakes

ok everyone is saying you would feel a vibration when driving?? Even if your wheels and rims are new you feel a little vibration! All 4 bent well any thing can happen right. make sure they so you what there talking about
Old 06-14-2008, 03:44 AM
bent
Burning Brakes

1. go to the shop and get them to show you where your wheels are "bent".....if you cannot see the damage then there is no reason to change the wheels.

2. after calling the shops bluff, speak with the owner or regional mgr and report the incident to the BBB.

I'd be willing to bet that if you had bought into the "4 bent wheels" scam, then the shop would have gladly "disposed" of them for you and one of the punk kids working there would have a new set of C6 wheels for his Camaro.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:16 AM
gmaites
5th Gear

they are 05 polished gm wheels. i have had the car since 05 when i ordered it from the dealer. I have felt ZERO vibration at any speed. the only thing we had notices was the tire wear was uneven.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:27 AM
SLVRC6
Instructor

they are 05 polished gm wheels. i have had the car since 05 when i ordered it from the dealer. I have felt ZERO vibration at any speed. the only thing we had notices was the tire wear was uneven.
If you are getting uneven tire wear, it is time for a tuneup and replace all fuel injectors - that's what a "goober" would tell you.

Run from this guy hard and fast.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

I've got an 05. I got a flat tire repaired quite a while back at Discount Tire. When they were balancing it after repair. They showed me where the wheel was out of round. It was noticable by looking at it while it was spinning. No damage was found on the tire or rim to indicate an impact. Never noticed a vibration. Took it to the dealer and they checked it out and replaced the wheel under warranty.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:55 PM
mikejpss
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by vinsong
Get a second opinion, if their wrong tell them to get "bent"!

sounds like operator error on the balance machine. Sounds like THEY'RE wrong......

Quick Reply: 4 Bent Wheels on my '05 C6?