C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this tire wear normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Prankster
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this tire wear normal?

Hey guys,

I have a 2006 (non-z51) Coupe, 10k miles, with the stock runflats. I'm preparing for a track day and noticed that my rear tires are "flaking" off in small chunks.

I would say my driving is "average"..I play a bit, but don't do extended burnouts, donuts, etc..however, I do have about 50 drag stip runs and a track day on these tires. (All drag stip passes included no burnouts, but a quick tire cleanoff spin).

Take a look at the pics, the chunks are in the same spot on both drivers/passengers rear tires..just on the outside of the tread pattern. There is no flaking on the front tires (normal). The tread is still really good, but I'm worried that this flaking is going to cause a blowout or something at high speed.

Are these still safe?

Thanks in advance,

pkstr
Old 06-16-2008, 10:43 AM
heisnuts
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 457 Likes on 208 Posts

I had the exact same thing with my stock GY (non-Z51) tires in the rear. I didn't worry about it and they wore in OK. As a matter of fact, I am now at 28K (the flaking started around 10K.. if not earlier) and the rears are just about ready to be replaced after wearing out evenly.

For me the fronts wore out first around 22K with wear on the inner edges. I put the Firestone Runflats on the front and had the car aligned. The rears were still right on spec, and although the fronts were just slightly out of factory spec, i had them adjusted just a tad to even out the inner wear.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 871 Likes on 398 Posts

Does not look normal to me.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:52 AM
freyke
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Prankster
.I play a bit, but don't do extended burnouts, donuts, etc..however, I do have about 50 drag stip runs and a track day on these tires. (All drag stip passes included no burnouts, but a quick tire cleanoff spin).
Prankster,

Above quote is the reason for your tires early demise... I don't think they're unsafe - just a little seasoned. The GY's are meant for all around performance and are not an all out "drag" tire.

If you want to wreck some tires real quick, just autocross in them - that'll finish em off.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

Hard to tell completely from the pic's, but ,,,,, usually,,,, blisters are caused by local area's of the tire overheating,(burn out, maybe?) and the gas released from the tiretread/casing will cause a blister, which in your case looks like it has been worn off. New tires are more prone to this as they still have all the new rubber and solvents to boil off.
If you are worried about your tires, and doing a track day with them in this condition, you have answered your own question. Don't do it. At VIR, a stock vette can reach 150mph easily. Tires are cheap at that speed compared to the damage of a tire failure at that speed.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this tire wear normal?

Quick Reply: Is this tire wear normal?