C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette will not read mp3's

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 01:21 AM
SeaBass2001
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vette will not read mp3's

In my '05 i had my nav updated to read Mp3 cd's and when i put a disc in it says theres no disc loaded. I heard the cd's need to be made a certain way, If so can someone help me out?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-30-2008, 01:25 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

A few suggestions:
  • Use three digits in the sort order number before the file name (001, 002, etc.)
  • If your CD has a ContentsDB.xml file, try opening it with notepad and for each song, edit the "Numeric Path" key to the correct sort order number.
  • Edit the Song Title in the MP3 ID tag to include the sort order number keeping Titles short.
And put all files in top directory (no folders.)

Last edited by keyplyr; 06-30-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:42 AM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Others have had the same problems. It doesn't read some files.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:20 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Here are some reference threads on the process of making MP3's:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1776893

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2002008

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2002333
Old 06-30-2008, 10:46 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

What software did you use to make the MP3 disc? Sounds like you made a data disc and not an MP3 disc. A lot of people like Nero (I use it) but if you want a free program, ITunes will work but the learning curve is steep. See the links from Rick above.

The biggest problem I had with ITunes was getting the files I wanted and not the files it thinks I wanted. In other words, it tells you it is doing what you want but instead it uses different files that haven't been prepared properly.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:26 AM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
What software did you use to make the MP3 disc? Sounds like you made a data disc and not an MP3 disc. A lot of people like Nero (I use it) but if you want a free program, ITunes will work but the learning curve is steep. See the links from Rick above.

The biggest problem I had with ITunes was getting the files I wanted and not the files it thinks I wanted. In other words, it tells you it is doing what you want but instead it uses different files that haven't been prepared properly.
Nero Express works for me
Old 06-30-2008, 08:42 PM
FM
Racer

A little confusion here...an MP3 disc is a data disc (and the data is MP3 files). It's not an audio disc.

I burned some discs using the utility in Windows Vista and the car couldn't read them. Made some more using Nero and they work fine. Burning software can be the issue.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:34 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Huh??

An MP3 disk IS basically a data disk with MP3 files loaded on it. I have no clue what you are talking about in ref to iTunes ...

Several packages will work well ... the key is to have Version 1.0 or 1.1 ID3 tags and keep the song names 22 char long or less ...

I personally use iTunes and it works great to make C6 Vette MP3 CDs ... follow the few hints and you will have no problems ...
Old 06-30-2008, 11:28 PM
cranky
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just a reminder, if you have had a replacement done under warranty of your nav/radio unit, they replace it with an 08. the 08 units are NOT data format. they are FOLDER formatted and will NOT play data type discs. i use nero burning rom version 8 on them and they work fine.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:14 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by FM
A little confusion here...an MP3 disc is a data disc (and the data is MP3 files). It's not an audio disc.

I burned some discs using the utility in Windows Vista and the car couldn't read them. Made some more using Nero and they work fine. Burning software can be the issue.
And an audio CD is really a data disc because it is just files of digital data. But there is a difference between an MP3 disc and an ordinary data disc. Windows Explorer will create a data disc but an MP3 player won't read it. You have to create a disc with the correct MP3 directory format. Using Nero you can create a data disc, an audio disc, or an MP3 disc. The first one gives the error message the OP had. The second gives a disc that has only 80 minutes capacity and the latter makes the disc that we want.
Originally Posted by tjfontaine
Huh??

An MP3 disk IS basically a data disk with MP3 files loaded on it. I have no clue what you are talking about in ref to iTunes ...

Several packages will work well ... the key is to have Version 1.0 or 1.1 ID3 tags and keep the song names 22 char long or less ...

I personally use iTunes and it works great to make C6 Vette MP3 CDs ... follow the few hints and you will have no problems ...
Load the files into ITunes library. Then use other programs to change the filenames and tags. Now go back to ITunes to burn the disc and see what you get. ITunes remembers what you had and doesn't want any changes. Once you learn how to make it do what you want it does work. But some of us had trouble teaching it to do what we said and not what it thought we should want.

Yes, the ID3 tags must be v. 1.0 or 1.1 and not the more current 2.2-2.4 for the displays to work correctly. And the file names must be 25 characters plus ".mp3" or shorter for the player to consistently play the tracks rather than 32 as the manual states. But neither of these problems will give the message of "No Disc Loaded". That message occurs when it can not read the directory on the disc. Either it is a bad disc, bad burner, bad reader, or incorrect format of the disc directory.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:44 AM
TRR
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using Itunes

Edit, Preferences, Advanced, Burning, MP3 CD. Create a playlist. 22 character limit including track number and spaces for all song titles, artists, album names. Convert all ID3 tags to version 1. Burn MP3 CD Button

TRR
Old 07-15-2008, 08:27 AM
AntneeD
Racer

Originally Posted by cranky
just a reminder, if you have had a replacement done under warranty of your nav/radio unit, they replace it with an 08. the 08 units are NOT data format. they are FOLDER formatted and will NOT play data type discs. i use nero burning rom version 8 on them and they work fine.
Haven't heard this one, So the 08 Nav Bose will not read a disc full of mps files (data disc)? All the songs have to be in folders for the car to read it?
Old 07-15-2008, 08:34 AM
TBonez
2005 Beast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaBass2001
In my '05 i had my nav updated to read Mp3 cd's and when i put a disc in it says theres no disc loaded. I heard the cd's need to be made a certain way, If so can someone help me out?

Thanks in advance
I use Nero for burning disks for the Vette. Works well. Rule of thumb though you need to keep your song titles less than 32 characters long that includes spaces and keep all symbols out I even take dashes out. If you follow that rule your vette will read the disk correctly.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:35 AM
TBonez
2005 Beast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRR
Using Itunes

Edit, Preferences, Advanced, Burning, MP3 CD. Create a playlist. 22 character limit including track number and spaces for all song titles, artists, album names. Convert all ID3 tags to version 1. Burn MP3 CD Button

TRR
Using Nero is easier, you just have to name your file and thats it.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:37 AM
AntneeD
Racer

And Nero & iTunes works for 08 Nav systems as well?

Anyone have a copy of Nero ?

Get notified of new replies

To Vette will not read mp3's

Quick Reply: Vette will not read mp3's