C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who here Uses Ebay to Buy their Vettes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 11:51 PM
sss3d
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who here Uses Ebay to Buy their Vettes?

I saw some really good deals on Ebay but I wasn't sure if it's good or not. Has anyone bought a Vette off Ebay? If so; was it as satisfactory as you expected? What are things you have to consider? I ordered a VIN report for one of the vettes I wanted; and it says there are no problems.

Thanks guys.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:56 PM
tntdominic
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Be very very careful. I wouldn't do it without seeing, inspecting, driving it first. That said, I bought mine on this Forum and paid for it without ever seeing it, then flew up and took possession. I trust the Forum membership and it turned out to be a great decision.
Cheers
Old 07-24-2008, 12:00 AM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

I recently saw a Z06 at a dealership. Car was lemans blue, and gorgeous. Was a little higher mileage at 25k miles. Didin't have anything better to do so we stopped in to take a look at it. Man was this poor car beat up. Both of the front calipers had half their paint gone, there were scratches all over, a crack in the area behind the drivers door that was flat out cracked. Mind you, from 15 ft away, it looked spectacular. Point is, no way I am commiting to an expensive car without seeing it with my own eyes.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:04 AM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cerino2000
from 15 ft away, it looked spectacular. Point is, no way I am commiting to an expensive car without seeing it with my own eyes.
You have to be careful. It's your money and it would be hard to go after them if something is wrong.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:11 AM
xlr8rvette
Drifting

Location: Fayetteville Arkansas recently moved from Oakland Ca
Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Bought several diecast Vettes on Ebay. No interest in buying full scale Vette without first seeing it or without factory warranty
Old 07-24-2008, 12:11 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

I have bought 10 high end cars sight unseen from Ebay. I bought my 2 C6's sight unseen from Corvette Forum members. I would of bought them off of Ebay, but the best deals were here on the forum. It can be done very well if you know what you are doing. Sure, there is always a chance that the car could be not what you wanted or the seller could walk with your cash, but there would only be one person to blame for that and that would be YOU! If you do your Due Dilligence and cover all your bases it owrks just fine. I am 12 for 12 and I am bringing them back into Canada from the US which is much harder athan just buying ou tof state. (Actually I did have a little paperwork problem with one of them but it all worked out after some stressfull and sleepless nights )
Old 07-24-2008, 12:12 AM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by tntdominic
Be very very careful. I wouldn't do it without seeing, inspecting, driving it first. That said, I bought mine on this Forum and paid for it without ever seeing it, then flew up and took possession. I trust the Forum membership and it turned out to be a great decision.
Cheers

last summer i was wathing to buy 95 mustang cobra on ebay. one was local. carfax clear. asked the guy some questions, like new except usual dings, leather cracks etc. i took one of my best friends with me, a body man and hot rod builder for 30 yrs. he looked it over and under. said it had been in at least three bad wrecks. piece of junk. will never look again on ebay.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:17 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by budgreen3564

last summer i was wathing to buy 95 mustang cobra on ebay. one was local. carfax clear. asked the guy some questions, like new except usual dings, leather cracks etc. i took one of my best friends with me, a body man and hot rod builder for 30 yrs. he looked it over and under. said it had been in at least three bad wrecks. piece of junk. will never look again on ebay.
aah baloney, that has nothing to do with Ebay, that can happen when you go look at one in a newspaper ad.

**You have to use common sense...95 Mustang, not a real collector car, no reason for it to be restored, it is probably going to be beat on no matter what. I wouldn't buy one of those off of Ebay either. I did buy my 69 427 Camaro you see in my avatar off of Ebay sight unseen, BEAUTIFULL!!
The OP is looking at newer Corvettes, lot's of high end car dealerships have internet dept's that specialize in Ebay listings etc. They will take 30-50 pictures etc.

Last edited by Racer; 07-24-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:22 AM
3blondesandMe
Instructor

I found mine on ebay, was being sold by a dealer only 10 miles away. Called them and made a deal to buy if their auction did not meet the reserve $. Were it not for another Corvette owner suggesting I look on ebay, I never would have bought/found my dream car. '05 LS2,
M Yellow,... with 1300 miles
Old 07-24-2008, 12:24 AM
Walkthedog
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Well I guess I am the exception. I tried to buy an 05 on the forum, made the deal and the guy raised the price on me as I was making the plane reservations. Oh well, I recovered and bought an 05 on ebay. Maybe I was lucky. It could not have turned out better. The car was absolutely perfect with 8000 miles. We spoke several times, he met me at an airport city and it was very smooth. First car was in NY second car was in New Mexico I am in Calif.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:35 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Found mine on Ebay but didn't buy it on Ebay.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:46 AM
X-SPAN
Pro

Bought mine on Ebay from a Chevrolet dealer in Plainfield, Indiana. The car was perfect, customer service was excellent, and the shipping to Washington state was flawless. Sure the whole process was a giant leap of faith but the risk is minimized when the seller is a Chevrolet Corvette dealer with a reputation to protect.
I wouldn't buy a big-buck car from a private seller without first getting a third-party evaluation of the vehicle. Too risky!
Old 07-24-2008, 07:13 AM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

Found my Roush on Ebay because it is difficult to search dealer inventory for a new Roush. I actually negotiated the price by phone though. Corvettes have been found thru dealer website inventory like Kerbeck.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:01 AM
REVHIGH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I did find my vette on Ebay. Then I drove to the dealership and drove it, inspected it, etc. Bought it next day. About a 4 hr drive from my house, well worth it.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:10 AM
ZPirate
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cclive
Found mine on Ebay but didn't buy it on Ebay.
I did the same thing. I found the car then contacted the dealer directly and worked out the purchase. I still never saw anything but pictures of the car until it was delivered to me, but it turned out fine since it was a brand new car.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:15 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

In the last 6 months I've bought an 06 Viper Coupe and an 07 Z06.....other than pics,sight unseen. Both cars were as described when received.

But those were both from a dealership....not an individual.Also, always pay attention to their seller rating & read some feedback.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:33 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by X-SPAN
I wouldn't buy a big-buck car from a private seller without first getting a third-party evaluation of the vehicle. Too risky!
I'd do a third party eval anyway, unless you're a pretty good at spotting problems. And as danl sez, I'd not do it sight unseen.

Altho I have flown in and bought cars without more than a several pictures, and telephone conversations.

Haven't done ebay; don't trust the site because for me, I see too much junk on there. Have done cars.com and autotrader.com, both buying and selling.

Those who buy or sell successfully, sight unseen, on any method (ebay, cars.com, autotrader, dealer, private party) either know something I don't which is very possible. Or, they are very lucky. I admit, there's a lot I don't know, and my luck doesn't usually hold out time after time.

Get notified of new replies

To Who here Uses Ebay to Buy their Vettes?

Old 07-24-2008, 09:16 AM
Tricky's Zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought a few cars and a bike through ebay, no problems if you do your own homework....
Old 07-24-2008, 09:20 AM
pcruzo2002
Advanced

I bought mine on Ebay from a private party, not a dealer. It was a great experience and I very good buy. No problems whatsoever.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:22 AM
9secondflat
Melting Slicks

i bought my 00 frc- doug rippie off ebay, my 00 383 lingenfelter off ebay...you need to make sure the person selling is the owner, not a friend..they have all receipts and can provide you contact info for any work done..also have a service about 100 bucks to come out and look over car to verify condition and "general" mechanical soundness..shifting, breaking etc...

Quick Reply: Who here Uses Ebay to Buy their Vettes?