C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Advice for all vette owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 01:14 AM
loflite
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Good Advice for all vette owners

Never, ever take your car to the dealer for any kind of service or warranty work. No matter what is wrong with it, factory flaw or not, do not bring it to the dealer. I've brought my car to the dealer 4 times for different warranty items and twice the car has been damaged. The first time the rockers were damaged. This evening when I picked it up from a different dealer for a repaired oil pan leak, I found the car with 100 more miles on it than when I dropped it off and a damaged front bumper. This from the supposedly best dealer in MN. Even GM recommended them. I've had it. I've owned vettes for 30 years and this was the first new one. Won't hurt my feelings if GM just goes away. Why is there any factory flaws or warranty items on a car which the factory brags was built by the slowest workers in the industry? And chevy dealers better stick to aveos and cobalts because that better suits their ability and caliber.

Last edited by loflite; 07-25-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:28 AM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Sympathies for your troubles!

Got to ask, because maybe I'm missing something. If it is warranty work, which is free, where do you go to get it done, other than a GM dealer? I have a good mechanic, but if he fixes something covered under warranty, he will charge me. Actually, he's honest enough to tell me its a warranty item and take it to the dealer.

So what am I missing?

Old 07-25-2008, 01:33 AM
loflite
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Not sure where to bring it. But if your car comes out damaged 50% of the time, what do you suggest?
Old 07-25-2008, 01:40 AM
KWIKC6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by loflite
Not sure where to bring it. But if your car comes out damaged 50% of the time, what do you suggest?
I suggest making them fix it! Are they refusing to fix the damage? What is the response to the extra 100 miles? The going IRS rate is now about 54 cents per mile. I would at least expect that for the mileage plus the repaired bumper!
Old 07-25-2008, 04:43 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 309 Likes on 199 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Sorry for your troubles. But I would make the dealer aware of the mileage when I bring the car in for work. And, let them know in advance that your car has NO damage and you want them to inspect it before you leave it with them. Thats what I would do.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:49 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've also been amazed at just how clueless GM dealer people are. Aren't these supposed to be "car guys?" It's like they know less than my butcher about a Corvette, and they take all frigg'n day!

The last two warranty issues, I just took my car to private shops to have the work done. Out-of-pocket cash but the jobs were done perfect and quick.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:32 AM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

I guess I've been lucky. I have used and trustrd dealers with my cars/trucks/motorcycles with countless repairs/PM's over 40 years and no issues worth having a hissy fit over. I get to know the guys around the shop and "take care of" the Service Writers when I can. I always "tour" whatever I am bringing in with the Service Writer so there won't be any questions over what was there prior to the work being done or not.
My opinion? Your good advice is not good for me and I would figure a vast majority of owners.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:40 AM
dingrao
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 106 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

That sucks mate.

I have been fortunate in the fact that my dealer does a great job when I have had to bring it in. The make sure they do a walk around with me present before the car goes in, and they always walk me back to my car and go over the checklist with me before I drive it home, mileage included with the check.

I would definitely complain to GM, and make some threats. That is ludicrous that they put that much mileage on your car! I am aware that they may have to take the car for a test run depending on the work they did, but 100 miles?!?
Old 07-25-2008, 08:16 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,234 Likes on 415 Posts

While I can certainly empathize with your horrible experiences, I don't think it's fair to issue a blanket condemnation of all GM dealers.

There are truly bad dealers out there, and you sure seem to have found some, but there are also very reputable and competent ones. If individual experiences count for anything, my dealer has been outstanding in providing me exceptional service since I bought my first C6 from them in 2004. Any work was always done quickly and professionally, loaners were always provided, and the car always came back clean with no damage. Because of this, I ordered my 2009 from the same dealer even though his price was higher than some of the "below GMS" deals currently being offered here.

So, no, not all GM dealers suck ... and most will not damage your car. Your own experience has been a nightmare that never should have happened. I'd take the advice of others and get the damage fixed under warranty by the responsible parties.

Good luck.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:21 AM
BigButtLover
Safety Car

Received 501 Likes on 233 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Sorry for your troubles. I learned many years ago to never take your vehicle to a dealer unless your absolutely have to and there is no other recourse. Most dealer maintenace dept.'s suck, plain and simple.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:24 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I agree with kwik, and do feel your pain.
I definitely would be in touch with GM, the dealer(s) that screwed up your car, and want a meeting with the Zone or warranty rep for that dealership. This stuff has got to end and it only does when someone complains long enough and loud enough.

I've had good dealers and bad dealers in the past. Matter of fact, the first new Corvette I bought, I called up the local NCRS club members and asked where they got it serviced. Turns out, the place I bought it had recently stolen a Cad tech to work on only Corvettes (and whatever else he felt like). I was told this was the only guy to let touch your car. And he was, for four years!

I understand key's idea, too. If you can't trust the dealers, then if you can afford it, do it out of pocket. Helluva way to have to go, but .... what else are you going to do?

Good luck and tell us how it turns out!
Old 07-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Gordon Shumway
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

There sure doesn't seem to be any middle ground on this topic. I fall in the camp that not all dealers are satan's spawn. When I bring a vehicle into my dealer, the first thing the service writer does is fill out a checksheet with the mileage, and any visible damage to the car, including under the hood. I make it a point to have them write down that the rocker panels are clean, which usually gets a chuckle from the writer. If they take the time to do it on the way in, they certainly know you will do the same thing on the way out. This is such a simple process I am amazed that not all dealers do it.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:44 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I'm sorry for your trouble! make the dealer fix the issue.

I guess I'm really lucky because I have two amazing dealers (for service) in my area that know Corvettes well and treat my car as well as I do.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:46 AM
RED2008Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by loflite
Different dealer???? I have no problem with my dealer...good luck
Old 07-25-2008, 08:48 AM
MONTVALEGOLF
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12, '15

I would contact the Owner or General Manager of said Dealership and calmy explain what happened with your visit to his dealership. See what he has to say and take the proper course of action at that point.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:51 AM
LBL C6
Racer

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
I guess I've been lucky. I have used and trusted dealers with my cars/trucks/motorcycles with countless repairs/PM's over 40 years and no issues worth having a hissy fit over. I get to know the guys around the shop and "take care of" the Service Writers when I can. I always "tour" whatever I am bringing in with the Service Writer so there won't be any questions over what was there prior to the work being done or not.
My opinion? Your good advice is not good for me and I would figure a vast majority of owners.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Jim Nebraska
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry you've had so many problems, but I have nothing but kudos for my dealer. They've done just fine on the few things I had fixed. I am coming up on an oil change, and will take it to them. They are, however, a recognized Corvette Dealership....lots of experience and a new facility. What do you think of going "shopping" for a new dealer?

Get notified of new replies

To Good Advice for all vette owners

Old 07-25-2008, 08:55 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,277 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin

Sorry for the OP's problems, but that would be like me saying all forum members whose names begin with lof don't know what they're talking about. See what I mean about generalizations?
Old 07-25-2008, 09:00 AM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

and I would say always bring it to the dealer....the delaership I go to and their corvette tech are excellent....have no trouble dropping it off and never worry....you need to find a new dealer....
Old 07-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,413 Likes on 613 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

That MAY be good advice for people that live near you but my dealer is the best place to take my Corvettes. No if's and's or but's about it, Bryner Chevrolet in Jenkintown PA is one of the, if not THEE very best dealer for Corvette Service in the USA.

I am sorry to hear of your problems. I am very luck to have such a great dealership right here in my backyard.

Quick Reply: Good Advice for all vette owners