C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder Coating Wheels: The entire Process

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Bearcat23
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder Coating Wheels: The entire Process

So I've decided I could *maybe* save a buck or two and Powder Coat my stock '07 wheels black... It looks like it's going to run me about $320 just for the powder coating here in Las Vegas....However, the process is what's confusing me...

It looks like I'll have to go out and buy a few jacks and jack stands, approx. $250. Is it safe to leave the car on Jacks for 3-4 days while I wait for my wheels to get done? This makes me nervous.

Also, I know the wheels have sensors on them, how does this play in with getting them powder coated?

Thanks for the help, I'm a total noob here, and have zero mechanical skills, so if my questions are rudimentary I apologize.

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-26-2008, 12:51 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat23
So I've decided I could *maybe* save a buck or two and Powder Coat my stock '07 wheels black... It looks like it's going to run me about $320 just for the powder coating here in Las Vegas....However, the process is what's confusing me...

It looks like I'll have to go out and buy a few jacks and jack stands, approx. $250. Is it safe to leave the car on Jacks for 3-4 days while I wait for my wheels to get done? This makes me nervous.

Also, I know the wheels have sensors on them, how does this play in with getting them powder coated?

Thanks for the help, I'm a total noob here, and have zero mechanical skills, so if my questions are rudimentary I apologize.

Thanks for the help!
Nothing to apologize about-questions are a good thing!

Yup, you can leave the car up on jackstands, assuming you have then placed in the preferred points (do a search on jacking points.)

When the wheel is broken down, the sensor/valve stem (it is a one piece unit) should be removed. You may want to a couple of valve stem/sensor repair kits hanging around when the tire is put back on the wheel as sometimes the rubber washers were crushed at the factory.

Last edited by AutoCutter; 08-26-2008 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spellling
Old 08-26-2008, 12:58 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Bear, all good questions. Auto's right; on top of C6 Gen is a section called stickies. In there, there's a section/thread called FAQ. And in there is a lot of info. Here's the one for jacking points: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1117639

And note that Auto means "breaking down" which is defined as separating the tires from the wheels. If the shop does it carefully and replaces the same sensor to the same wheel that comes off the same location (as in Right Front wheel, Right Front sensor), then the computer for the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) won't have to be re-programmed to recognize that the wheel/sensor has been changed.

So, just ask them to mark it or bag it. The fellow who took mine apart and put them back on was careful that way. Really helps.

Good luck!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:03 PM
Bearcat23
Cruising

Thanks for all the help guys....

After a whole lot of hustle I got the wheels down to the powder coat shop.

Should be done tomorrow with any luck! Hopefully my zaino will be here by the weekend and I can put a fresh shine on her and get some pictures up!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Gramps
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on how many miles on yor tires, you may want to swap sides for the tires, effectively rotating them. That is, the inside of the front passenger side tire would be the outside of the front driver side, and the inside of the previous front driver's side would then be the outside of the front passenger side. Same for the rears.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:24 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

There can not be anything on the wheels, as once the powder is sprayed on the wheels it is sent in to an oven (approx 350-400 degrees or more) for about 45 minutes to cure and bond the powder to the wheel. Any things such as rubber, seals,, electroncis etc would be damaged or destroyed in the oven.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:07 PM
Wheelboyo
Racer

Show us pics of your wheels when they're done please!
Old 08-26-2008, 09:09 PM
TTUbaker
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Wheelboyo
Show us pics of your wheels when they're done please!

I'm anxious to see what they look like as well!
Old 08-27-2008, 03:11 AM
Bearcat23
Cruising

Originally Posted by AORoads
Bear, all good questions. Auto's right; on top of C6 Gen is a section called stickies. In there, there's a section/thread called FAQ. And in there is a lot of info. Here's the one for jacking points: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1117639

And note that Auto means "breaking down" which is defined as separating the tires from the wheels. If the shop does it carefully and replaces the same sensor to the same wheel that comes off the same location (as in Right Front wheel, Right Front sensor), then the computer for the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) won't have to be re-programmed to recognize that the wheel/sensor has been changed.

So, just ask them to mark it or bag it. The fellow who took mine apart and put them back on was careful that way. Really helps.

Good luck!

Well I've made my first mistake of many to come! I've got em sitting in a bag right here, not marked...After doing some searches on the forum looks like I'll be off to the dealership to have them reprogram the sensors...Unless I get really lucky and get em on the right wheels.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:00 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Well I've made my first mistake of many to come! I've got em sitting in a bag right here, not marked...After doing some searches on the forum looks like I'll be off to the dealership to have them reprogram the sensors...Unless I get really lucky and get em on the right wheels.
Not sure if you got your wheels done yet, but wait to get them reprogrammed after you put back on the wheels and tires.

Hey, we all make mistakes! Every so often we have a "dumb-things-I-did" thread----you should read some of the posts. It's hilarious and makes anything you do seem like sheer genius.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:14 AM
Wheelboyo
Racer

There's got to be a mathematician around here who can tell us the odds of getting them back in the right wheels! By the way, there are instructions around here someplace about programming the sensors yourself. All you need is a magnet and those instructions.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Bearcat23
Cruising

Originally Posted by Wheelboyo
There's got to be a mathematician around here who can tell us the odds of getting them back in the right wheels! By the way, there are instructions around here someplace about programming the sensors yourself. All you need is a magnet and those instructions.
Something tells me it's not very good

I was reading around, it looks like the magnet trick only works for C5's....

Maybe the local tire shop will have something...Either way I just want to get back on the road. Had to take the explorer to work today, and it was tough getting out of bed.

After 2 days I'm addicted to the 'vette, hope the fun never wears off
Old 08-27-2008, 12:27 PM
Wheelboyo
Racer

I was reading around, it looks like the magnet trick only works for C5's....
That could be as I just have a lowly C5 :o. I'm surprised I'm even allowed to log into this forum I can't imagine how different programing C6 sensors could be though.

Get notified of new replies

To Powder Coating Wheels: The entire Process

Quick Reply: Powder Coating Wheels: The entire Process