C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floor jack maximum height question

Old 09-01-2008, 02:32 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Floor jack maximum height question

Need some help from the guys who have their jacks and have a question about the jack's actual "maximum extention" height (for a change). As well as having a low profile (for a Z51) and is extra long to be able to reach the cross member from the front, when I choose. I've searched and read about the different ones but maybe missed the max. heights of them.

Anyway, ordered Race Ramps XT's and the 10" wheel cribs as well (so that the level will be even). Anyway, for oil changes, the ramps will be up front and I'll be jacking the rear for the use of the cribs. By my simple measurements, it looks like it's about 8" from floor up to the rear cross member. I'll need a jack that would have an extention of 18+" to slide the cribs under the tires (they have a slight concave to them for seating), correct? Or, I suppose I could use a 2x4 block for the additional required height.

I've read all about the Omega (know it's a good jack but very heavy and over $200, I believe) and other good, albeit pricier ones. But I was looking at the jack sold by Harbor Freight (U.S.General's 3000 lb. 91039-9VGA $99.00) that some have said is a good lightweight racing jack and would do the job and at a good price. AutoZone sometimes has it as well, they've said. It's max height is only 14-3/4" however, but they also have a few others by that name. Next two 3000 lb. models are also lightweight racing jacks and are respectively more ($159 and $179.). Both of these have a max height of 17-1/2". The last one is a 4000 lb lightweight racing jack at $200. with max height at 18-1/4".

What would be the thing to do? If I go with this brand and they can correctly reach from the front, would it be logical to go with the 18-1/4" model or could I get by with the two 17-1/2" ones? Checked at the local AutoZone, Sam's, and PepBoy's and none have these. Any suggestions and thanks for your help.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Mine (Costco Aluminum) is currently under the car, but I will measure the max and min heights later if you want me to. Seems like it went to 19" and change, but I did not keep the box.

However, I don't think that it will reach my front crossmember from the front, and this on a non-lowered C6, not Z06, so I might not be helping you at all.

All in all a nice jack for about $100. Finally got rid of my old POS one.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:52 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Mine (Costco Aluminum) is currently under the car, but I will measure the max and min heights later if you want me to. Seems like it went to 19" and change, but I did not keep the box.

However, I don't think that it will reach my front crossmember from the front, and this on a non-lowered C6, not Z06, so I might not be helping you at all.

All in all a nice jack for about $100. Finally got rid of my old POS one.
Thanks Kevin. I've read about the one Cosco sells, as well and the one I'm looking at is similiar (all pretty good). I started thinking about the "cribs" I'll be using though and that's when I knew I'd need the tires to clear the 10" height mark. It would not be so much of an issue if I were to just be using stands or just the jack by itself. But since I have the cribs coming, it is.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Gordon Shumway
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Craftsman 2-Ton Aluminum jack is 19.75" max height w/Northern Tool Crossmember on board. This will reach the preferred lift points both front and rear. It was $189 when I bought it.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:02 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
Craftsman 2-Ton Aluminum jack is 19.75" max height w/Northern Tool Crossmember on board. This will reach the preferred lift points both front and rear. It was $189 when I bought it.
Thanks. I looked at what some said about the Craftman's also. Some liked them, some said they leaked or failed (but not sure which models they were and if wasn't the jacks fault anyway). You like yours, I guess, and it meets my criteria too. I'll look into it as it can be bought locally, I'm sure, instead of ordering.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:09 PM
slacker1201
Lifetime NCM Member #2497
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10-11-12 Veteran

I just bought the Craftsman Speedylift 2 ton floor jack, it's 3 3/4" to 18 1/2". It works great for me on my Vettes. It was on sale for around $190.00.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:17 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Originally Posted by slacker1201
I just bought the Craftsman Speedylift 2 ton floor jack, it's 3 3/4" to 18 1/2". It works great for me on my Vettes. It was on sale for around $190.00.
Is it low and long enough to reach from the front?
Old 09-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Gordon Shumway
Team Owner

I am pretty sure that is the same thing as what I posted above. The difference in the height is the addition of the Northern Tool crossmember. One thing to note is that there is a small modification necessary to be able to use the Northern Tool crossmember. It's not difficult at all, which is proven by the fact I did it.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:27 PM
slacker1201
Support Corvetteforum!

Both my C5 and C6 have been lowered so I can't come from the front. If I line it up from the side it looks like it is not long enough without the bar hitting the front to jack it up. I'll go out and measure the length of the jack for you and let you know.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:29 PM
slacker1201
Support Corvetteforum!

I am pretty sure that is the same thing as what I posted above. The difference in the height is the addition of the Northern Tool crossmember. One thing to note is that there is a small modification necessary to be able to use the Northern Tool crossmember. It's not difficult at all, which is proven by the fact I did it.
You are probably right. I think the jack normally sells for $220 or more, but I always wait for the sales or the coupons. I think it's a great jack for the price.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Gordon Shumway
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GotVett?
Is it low and long enough to reach from the front?
Is it low enough, no. But I don't believe any jack can fit under the front without a little assistance. I use the Race Ramps Trak-Jax, which are 3" high (I suspect most use 2X10's), and plenty of height to get the jack with crossmember under the front. It may fit under the back with no assistance. I always use the 3" assist, but I will have to try it without to see if it really needs the extra height.

Is it long enough, yes. Plenty on the back, and just barely on the front.

Last edited by Gordon Shumway; 09-01-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:30 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Is it low enough, no. But I don't believe any jack can fit under the front without a little assistance. I use the Race Ramps Trak-Jax, which are 3" high (I suspect most use 2X10's), and plenty of height to get the jack with crossmember under the front. It may fit under the back with no assistance. I always use the 3" assist, but I will have to try it without to see if it really needs the extra height.

Ist it long enough, yes. Plenty on the back, and just barely on the front.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:34 PM
slacker1201
Support Corvetteforum!

It's just about 18 1/2" from the center of the lifting point of the jack's pad to the moving part of the lifting bar (sorry I don't know if I am confusing you more with the use of my wording here).

Hope this helps, but I think it will be to short for you.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:44 PM
slacker1201
Support Corvetteforum!

Is it long enough, yes. Plenty on the back, and just barely on the front.
That's what I love about this forum, people like you
Old 09-01-2008, 03:59 PM
harddrivin1le
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can effectively add "lift" by placing a piece of wood (e.g. 4" X 4") between the jack's lifting cup and the frame. It's generally a good idea to have a block of wood there anyway, since it reduces the likelihood of the jack damaging the aluminum cross-members it will be pushing against.

Doing that will dramatically increase your options in ramp choices.

Need some help from the guys who have their jacks and have a question about the jack's actual "maximum extention" height (for a change). As well as having a low profile (for a Z51) and is extra long to be able to reach the cross member from the front, when I choose. I've searched and read about the different ones but maybe missed the max. heights of them.

Anyway, ordered Race Ramps XT's and the 10" wheel cribs as well (so that the level will be even). Anyway, for oil changes, the ramps will be up front and I'll be jacking the rear for the use of the cribs. By my simple measurements, it looks like it's about 8" from floor up to the rear cross member. I'll need a jack that would have an extention of 18+" to slide the cribs under the tires (they have a slight concave to them for seating), correct? Or, I suppose I could use a 2x4 block for the additional required height.

I've read all about the Omega (know it's a good jack but very heavy and over $200, I believe) and other good, albeit pricier ones. But I was looking at the jack sold by Harbor Freight (U.S.General's 3000 lb. 91039-9VGA $99.00) that some have said is a good lightweight racing jack and would do the job and at a good price. AutoZone sometimes has it as well, they've said. It's max height is only 14-3/4" however, but they also have a few others by that name. Next two 3000 lb. models are also lightweight racing jacks and are respectively more ($159 and $179.). Both of these have a max height of 17-1/2". The last one is a 4000 lb lightweight racing jack at $200. with max height at 18-1/4".

What would be the thing to do? If I go with this brand and they can correctly reach from the front, would it be logical to go with the 18-1/4" model or could I get by with the two 17-1/2" ones? Checked at the local AutoZone, Sam's, and PepBoy's and none have these. Any suggestions and thanks for your help.

Last edited by harddrivin1le; 09-01-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:20 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

That's what I love about this forum, people like you
Ditto!
Old 09-01-2008, 04:21 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Originally Posted by harddrivin1le
You can effectively add "lift" by placing a piece of wood (e.g. 4" X 4") between the jack's lifting cup and the frame. It's generally a good idea to have a block of wood there anyway, since it reduces the likelihood of the jack damaging the aluminum cross-members it will be pushing against.

Doing that will dramatically increase your options in ramp choices.
That's what I figured. I don't really won't to invest more $$ on the adaptor since the vette won't really be sustained in the "up" position by the jack (only using it to get it on the cribs).

Get notified of new replies

To Floor jack maximum height question

Old 09-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Gordon Shumway
Team Owner

That's what I figured. I don't really won't to invest more $$ on the adaptor since the vette won't really be sustained in the "up" position by the jack (only using it to get it on the cribs).
I admire your ability to use reason on a Vette related project.

Too often, we tend to end up on a spending binge to solve a problem, whether it is real or imagined.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:49 PM
harddrivin1le
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I admire your ability to use reason on a Vette related project.

Too often, we tend to end up on a spending binge to solve a problem, whether it is real or imagined.
I guess I'm not alone, then.

I've dropped nearly a grand on this car so far and I haven't even taken delivery of it yet (still on order)!
Old 09-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Gordon Shumway
Team Owner

Originally Posted by harddrivin1le
I guess I'm not alone, then.

I've dropped nearly a grand on this car so far and I haven't even taken delivery of it yet (still on order)!
I don't know...you may be alone on that one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Floor jack maximum height question