C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with cams

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 09:41 PM
ron_burgundy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with cams

yeah i have a base mod 2006 c6 with bolt-ons i need a cam for it but im a auto so they siad i need a stall converter can anyone help me out and tell me whats the best cam for me and coverter

thanks
Old 09-29-2008, 10:37 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Avoid any convertor with a stall speed higher than 3000 rpm (unless you plan on serious track racing and major mods). I've used www.edgeracingconverters.com. and they have superior customer service and great converters that are very efficient. Precision Industries converters are too loose, IMO and their customer service is terrible.

There is no "best" cam. You need to talk to one of the vendors here and get a recomendation. DO NOT let anyone talk you into getting a big cam, you'll hate it.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:22 PM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Avoid any convertor with a stall speed higher than 3000 rpm (unless you plan on serious track racing and major mods). I've used www.edgeracingconverters.com. and they have superior customer service and great converters that are very efficient. Precision Industries converters are too loose, IMO and their customer service is terrible.

There is no "best" cam. You need to talk to one of the vendors here and get a recomendation. DO NOT let anyone talk you into getting a big cam, you'll hate it.
, Seems everyone wants bigger which is not always good in the cam world and especially with an auto trans.

I am running a Comp Cam XZR275HR which they list as the biggest mild cam for the street. The only drawback on this cam is that it is a 112 LSA which gives a cam lope at idle due to this at times my CEL comes on with the code P0300 which is random misfire which means the knock sensors are picking up the idle rocking as a misfire.

My specs are: .222/.224, .566/.568 with a 112 LSA, however I did just install my Yella Terra 1.8 roller rockers (the oem non rollers are 1.7 ratio), which has increased the lift and duration (see my post in the tech section)

Here is a sound clip of my car without the new rocker arms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9URhj...ature=related#
Old 09-30-2008, 12:41 AM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Here is a sound clip after the Yella Terra Roller Rockers were installed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgiyHtViBvw#
Old 09-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Give Late Model Racecraft a call. They are in houston and can help you out.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:10 PM
ron_burgundy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the tips
Old 09-30-2008, 04:38 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by HawaiiC6
, Seems everyone wants bigger which is not always good in the cam world and especially with an auto trans.

I am running a Comp Cam XZR275HR which they list as the biggest mild cam for the street. The only drawback on this cam is that it is a 112 LSA which gives a cam lope at idle due to this at times my CEL comes on with the code P0300 which is random misfire which means the knock sensors are picking up the idle rocking as a misfire.

My specs are: .222/.224, .566/.568 with a 112 LSA, however I did just install my Yella Terra 1.8 roller rockers (the oem non rollers are 1.7 ratio), which has increased the lift and duration (see my post in the tech section)

Here is a sound clip of my car without the new rocker arms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9URhj...ature=related#
That looks like a good cam choice, though it might be a tad better if it had a 114 LSA. It'd smooth the idle some and widen the powerband a bit.

However, some cams are not a good choice for higher ratio rockers due to their lobe ramp design. An aggressive ramp could cause problems.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:13 PM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
That looks like a good cam choice, though it might be a tad better if it had a 114 LSA. It'd smooth the idle some and widen the powerband a bit.

However, some cams are not a good choice for higher ratio rockers due to their lobe ramp design. An aggressive ramp could cause problems.
, a 114 lsa would have smoothed out the idle but as for the power band it is from 1600 to 6800 and I can tell you that it is immense torque difference at 1600 rpms. On the XR cams the lobes work well with the increased size rollers but it may not work with the XER cams which ramps are very aggressive.

Get notified of new replies

To need help with cams

Quick Reply: need help with cams