C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help. 06 Vette or 06 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 03:34 PM
TTUbaker
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Really now?

Haha, but seriously the two are completely different cars. IMO the GTO is just highly bland, and won't stand out in a crowd in any case. In that aspect, the Corvette kills it in looks. The GTO is heaver. I could go on, but I think the only thing the GTO has going for it is two more seats. So if you have to have those seats, then the GTO might be the better choice of the two (although there are countless other cars I would consider before the GTO even came to mind).

But for any other reason, the Corvette is the one to have
Old 10-14-2008, 03:37 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rednred

should ask the question on ls1gto.com

dont do that to him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-14-2008, 04:29 PM
VetteDriven
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GTO looks like a Grand Am

The Corvette Major League

The GTO Minor League
Old 10-14-2008, 04:44 PM
aquavettes
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

here's an idea. buy the vette then give it to me and I'll let you know which one is better in a few years.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Shysterman69
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I will add my two cents to this thread, I had a 05 GTO for over three years and recently traded it for my 08 C6 coupe 3LT. I have to say I loved my GTO but being a loyal GM fan for decades I always wanted a new vette. I had modded my GTO lightly, predator tune, Magnaflow catback, CAI, 18" aftermarket wheels, Pedders suspension upgrades, audio upgrades, etc. I can tell you there is a huge quality difference in the seat covers, the leather used in the GTO was simply amazing, the car had 49k when I traded it in and the seats looked brand new. The only care I gave them was to clean and condition them once a month. After only 7 weeks of owning my vette and just over 1300 miles my seats look more worn than my GTO did when I traded it in. That being said, the differences between the cars is pretty significant, even with my suspension upgrades the GTO felt nothing like the vette in curves, straight line power is similar (yes there vette is faster) but I also own a 750HP supercharged 95 T/A so I have a high bar set for straight line speed... LOL As far as the cool factor, I received many compliments when driving my GTO, it could have been because it was black and kept very clean, it could have been the aftermarket wheels, who knows, but I was always getting asked about the car. The Corvette also attracts lots of attention as you are all aware. Fuel economy is better in the vette, I would average about 25 MPG on the hwy in my M6 GTO, while I have not been on many long trips in the vette yet, I did take about a 200 mile round trip that was mostly hwy driving and averaged around 29 MPG, I was floored at getting almost 30 MPG in a real sports car, so needless to say, I am very happy with the corvette. I received one heck of a deal on the car, 0% financing, and a great trade-in on my GTO. The GTO did not stay on the lot very long before I received a call from a gentleman looking to buy it and wanted to talk to me about the car. He ended up purchasing the car and we have spoke a few times since, he could not be happier with the GTO.

The bottom line is this, they are two very different automobiles, and both have great power and are very fun to drive. The vette is more of a pure sports car where the GTO is more of a GT style ride.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:12 PM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by blackss4377
I am in the process of looking for a new toy. I am torn between an 06 Vette or a 06 GTO. Can anyone help me please. I would like to hear your thoughts.
Is there a question here?
Old 10-14-2008, 06:45 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

GTO is a little too tame looking for me. If you must have a back seat for passengers then it would be better, anything else the C6 would be better along with being more powerful, more efficient and built in the US.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:59 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

Have you seen the new 2009 GTO?
Old 10-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Icewind Dale
Racer

Originally Posted by blackss4377
I am in the process of looking for a new toy. I am torn between an 06 Vette or a 06 GTO. Can anyone help me please. I would like to hear your thoughts.
You gotta be kidding! Just in case your serious. Vette.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:55 PM
dbraver2
Melting Slicks

Received 142 Likes on 66 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Well, at least he's not getting beat up as bad as the guy who recently asked, "Should I buy a C6 or 88 Fiero GT"?
Old 10-14-2008, 08:57 PM
MOGOINS
Racer

Get A life
Old 10-14-2008, 09:18 PM
johnnyquest
Instructor

When was the last time you gave a GTO a 2nd look? For me it was a 69 GTO Judge.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:42 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
i had a 05 GTO.... plenty of straight line power..but tires are way too small..traction is a nightmare, and in the twisties...its a tank....... sold it after a year and half.......had enough...
... I had the opportunity to drive a GTO at Limerock Race Track and it was hideous in cornering ability! Down right scary the way that lumber wagon handled. If you don't care about handling it wasn't a bad ride........ However I want a good handling car and that lumber wagon wasn't my cup of tea...
Old 10-15-2008, 12:54 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I owned an 05 GTO A4 with the APS twin turbo kit and a few other mods. The best run was 10.8 at 133 mph.

The car has serious flaws, primarily with it's tire size. The car is very heavy and undertired, and is unfortunately limited in tire size to about a 245 (stock) in the front and only slightly bigger in the rear. Modding the car to get bigger tires stuffed underneath is nearly impossible and not worth the money (and is only possible on the rear to about a 275 if you are willing to cut the outer fender ridge, anything bigger requires tubs. You'd have to redesign the front suspension or put flairs on the front to fit a larger tire there). Even stock 245's in the front have been known to rub to the point of having tire failure. Google "strut rub GTO". Also, the suspension bushings are pure garbage even when new and the front strut bushings are already collapsed on new cars since they are strapped down pretty tight on the several month boat ride from down under.

Because of being undertired, it is NOT a stable car at high speed if there are any corners. It gets pretty light in the rear at speed. There have been several people killed in these cars just on ls1gto.com. We just had another one killed here locally while trying to make a high speed sweeper corner on the NE 202 freeway.

The drivetrain south of the tranny is fairly light duty and it even has a power robbing two piece driveshaft because of the excessive length to mate up to the rear differential (main reason the GTO LS2 always dynos less than the corvette version). Wheel hop is a major problem, even on stock cars but primarily is an M6 issue.

The clutch and the hydraulic clutch system are very weak. Also, this car was orignally designed as a right side drive and even aftermarket shifters don't totally solve the crappy shifter feel due to it not being designed for left side drive (the stock shifter is the worst pos ever).

One common statement from GTO owners that have modified there cars: "Damn, I should've just bought a vette!"

I do not believe Holden ever envisioned this car ever having the power it ended up with.

It does have a nice set of seats in it and can be comfortable though.

Last edited by AirBusPilot; 10-15-2008 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:55 AM
Mvfvette1
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ohmy
I had a 2006 GTO, traded it for 2008 Vette...

Overall I regret the decision. Main reason is that the Corvette feels like it's falling apart, I'm sure it's actually tighter/stiffer than the goat, but the creaks and groans make it seem like it's put together with bubble gum... The GTO felt so solid, not a creak or rattle anywhere, and the seats were straight from heaven, absolutely perfect (not that I have a problem with Vette seats, they're fine)... If I could have a do-over, I would get and keep the GTO... and like Floyd' said, there is too much of a hit in depreciation to be able to do this...
I'm glad to see that other people who have or had both of these cars feel the same way that I do. The GTO is a far superior car as far as build quality goes. I love my C6, but I get just as much driving enjoyment from the GTO which has less hp and is significantly heavier. It just feels like a better car.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:34 AM
larvette
Drifting

GTO =
CORVETTE =
Old 10-15-2008, 03:21 AM
DroppinLs1Vette
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

GET THE VETTE! I just upgraded to a C6..wouldnt get anything else... for the money...nothing can really touch it

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help. 06 Vette or 06 GTO

Old 10-15-2008, 03:26 AM
DroppinLs1Vette
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

And i owned a 2001 Trans Am Ws-6 for 4 years......but the vette was a major upgrade and I enjoyed it alot more...

But its only a matter of opinion and what u like...everyone is different..
If you need a back seat...get the gto...that simple..if u want a faster/ better handling car, get the vette...

Old 10-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Edify
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow...watching/reading all that stuff about strut rub, makes me feel that I wouldn't ever be comfortable in a GTO. Get the Vette!

-Ed
Old 12-05-2008, 11:32 PM
corvette396
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this thread is old but I have to give my opinion since I own a GTO and C6 6spds.

They are 2 diff cars, I was thinking that they would feel similiar. Both very fast, the C6 is just more agile and stiffer. The GTO doesnt remind me of a GM vehicle when im in it. I dont mind squeaks n rattles in the C6, it feels nostalgic. The C6 Z51 drives more like my 70 Chevelle.

My Spice Red GTO gets lots of looks and lots of questions about what it is. People dont know what it is, and they are always asking. MY WS6 gets more looks and it makes more people do the "spinning motion of the finger" lol

But all that said, GTO's can be had for alot cheaper around here than a corvette. GTO's are fun in their own ways.

Quick Reply: Need Help. 06 Vette or 06 GTO