C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My rusting pitted chrome spider Z06 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 06:32 PM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Default My rusting pitted chrome spider Z06 wheels

Hi. Can someone tell me if my chrome spider Z06 wheels, (09 w/3000mi, never seen snow or salt.) would be covered under warranty for pitting and surface rust? I got the car in August. If it matters I also got some kind of extra wheel and tire guarranty from a salesman in a cubicle there during the sale. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:46 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Rust? Aluminum wheels don't rust.

Go talk to your dealer, any problems should be covered.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:49 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, your wheels are covered under standard factory warranty. Go see your dealer.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

They're the new chrome spider wheels. I went to Florida and back, (had 200 mi when the trip began, and never been wet yet), and when I got back yesterday after 2 weeks, I started to take the wheels off one by one to wash the brake dust off. I washed but it didn't come off. A look with a magnifying glass showed that it was surface rust pitting.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:03 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

I wouldn't think new wheels should pit or show rust - - on the other hand, if you had to look with a magnifying glass, I think I'd try using some type of chrome/wheel polish before seeking a remedy.

Your car still has plenty of warranty remaining - -unless it's an obvious defect or caused by damage (curb rash, etc) I'd probably clean them up and watch them until Spring - - plenty of time for warranty coverage, IMO.

Good luck
Old 10-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

It was so much rust that it looked like heavy brake dust. A washing did nothing to help at all. After the chrome polishing the magnifying glass shows the pitting. And this was only yesterday, so I can imagine it'll be back soon. I'm going down tomorrow. This extra wheel and tire guarranty I bought for $700, isn't it offered at every dealer? I don't think that it would only be offered at Genthe Chev in Southgate.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Fastcar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Weasel
It was so much rust that it looked like heavy brake dust. A washing did nothing to help at all. After the chrome polishing the magnifying glass shows the pitting. And this was only yesterday, so I can imagine it'll be back soon. I'm going down tomorrow. This extra wheel and tire guarranty I bought for $700, isn't it offered at every dealer? I don't think that it would only be offered at Genthe Chev in Southgate.
Sounds like salt. Did you spend time driving on the beach at Daytona?
Old 10-26-2008, 07:51 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

It could be "rail dust". It comes from the trains/trucks when they are shipped. It comes from the rust falling off the carrier. Usually on the roof and other top surfaces though. Doesn't sound like the answer, but something to think about.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Gordon Shumway
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Weasel
Could you expand on this a little? Something doesn't sound right. I am sure every dealer in the country would love to sell a tire & wheel warranty for $700, but I have never heard of a dealer quite that brazen.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:54 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

No kidding, considering your car is under full warranty, what in the world is a $700 tire and wheel guarantee?

Besides that, it does sound like something inferior with the chrome plating and it's possible the salt air of FL just accelerated the issue. Better sooner than later when your normal warranty runs out.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Can we see some pictures? Chrome wheels pit easily up here but usually just in the winter with the crap the toss on the ground to melt the snow.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:58 PM
1stc6z51
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could you post some pic's of the wheels? If the wheels are pitting they should be covered under factory warranty.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:10 PM
Oli1313
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

You should be covered. Pics??
Old 10-27-2008, 06:19 AM
comes alive
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheels

Man my wheels looked like yours till I used eagle one original never dull and it made the wheels look fantastic. try it you will like it.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:46 AM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

I stayed in Hollywood, south of Ft Lauderdale, and there was salt spray from the ocean so I'm sure you are correct. The dealership "extra guarranty" is for 5 years wheel and tire replacement.
It's so early on for these wheels that I wonder if there's a problem. Does everybody remember the problem with the early 05 polished wheels? They couldn't be ordered for a while because of dulling due to the clear being applied too long after the polishing. I just wish that I hadn't spent all day yesterday polishing and cleaning them. My case would be very obvious. Now it's only obvious. Can't wait till they open.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:25 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Is this on the inside barrels of the wheel, or the outer face? If it is on the inside of the wheel, those typically aren't as prepped for the chrome and the chrome can be somewhat thin in that area. I don't see replacing them as fixing the issue, others would be the same. Now, if the face is pitting, then yes those should be replaced before they get worse.

Tony
Old 10-27-2008, 09:27 AM
STEVE MC
Safety Car

Pics would be helpful, otherwise we can just guess what the problem might be.

Keep us posted as to how you make out.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:30 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Wheel and Tire warranty is typically only if you damage a wheel or tire but hitting a large pot hole or run into a curb etc. I do not believe it covers the finish on the wheels. Your regular warranty will cover that. Keep in mind most wheel tire warranties are only if the tire won't hold air. If you hit a pothole and turn your wheel into an egg it is not covered as long as the tire holds air. These are a HUGE waste of money IMHO.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

O.K. Here's the latest. I went to the service department and they have asked me to leave the car for a couple of hours so that a few people can discuss it. The salesmen all say that it's obviously rusting, BUT, even if they replace the wheels, my wheels are not unique in any way and the new wheels will also rust. I have told them that it's not Chev's fault, the maker of the wheel's fault, or the chromer's fault, and that Chevrolet itself, wants to know the real answer. So, while they discuss, I ask owners of the 09 Z06 spider wheels to examine their wheels. There can't have been that many delivered so far. We are early on in a problem, and you heard it here first and will hear more once I, hear more.

Get notified of new replies

To My rusting pitted chrome spider Z06 wheels

Quick Reply: My rusting pitted chrome spider Z06 wheels