C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weak c6 headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:32 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Strikervette
Thanks, tjl5709... Seems like maybe you have experienced the same. I'd really appreciate it if you would keep me posted as to the results of your "fix". Again, thank you!

No joke guys... I have 20 / 20 vision... (have to, as i'm a pilot (without corrective lenses!)). If you have time, get down to your local merc / bmw / other eurocar dealer one evening, and drive a euro car with bi-xenons; you'd understand what i mean. Again, i'm not detracting from the vette... But there are many many many cars out there with far better lights! To me, the vette's lights just don't match the potential performance.
My thoughts exactly. I am a first time Corvette owner and love driving the car but the stock headlights are not the best. They are not the worst either but a car with this much capability needs a better set of lights. This will start a fight from the guys that jump on any critisism of the Corvette. My 08 Honda Accord has better high & low beam lights and no I don't need a eye doctor just a upgrade to the stock headlights.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:35 AM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by michael.crissie
Some people might just not like how intense the beam seems. That, or if you are going over small bumps, the lights will bounce up and flash drivers, but that doesn't mean they are aimed too high. If the projector is aimed correctly with the cutoff below other drivers' eyes, then there wouldn't be a problem with glare because no light would be above the cutoff line to shine in the other drivers' eyes.
If what you say is true then nobody would ever be able to see your lights as you approached them. This is not true. Plenty of light gets to the other drivers even though they may be perfectly aligned. But they are not getting the full shot, so to speak.

Anyway, I find HID lights very annoying when cars are approaching me. Just too bright. I like having them because they work really well, though.

I wonder if one of the problems with the c6 lights is that they are so low that the angle has to be perfect to get them to light out to the correct distance. On lights that are installed higher up physically there is more angle and, therefore, they can light up more road without having to be aligned as precisely and still illuminate the road at roughly the proper distance for normal driving.

Maybe the fog lights can be altered to point more sideways so as to illuminate the side of the road more?
Old 01-02-2010, 09:36 AM
RED HUSKY
Instructor

Wow the lights on my c6 are the best lights I've ever had on any car I have ever owned. Take those sun glasses off when you drive at night you rock star.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:07 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Altho it's a vast improvement over the older Corvettes I owned, I'm not super-comfortable with the C6 headlights either. tjl's project sounds interesting.

No question, the low beams are better than the high. Still, I'm not overwhelmed by the low beams.

I haven't seen the Mercedes' headlights, but I've been in an Acura, and short of off-road lights mounted high up on a bar, I've never seen anything quite like those for stock headlights. I know the C6's are HID-lowbeams but by comparison, well, there is no comparison.

And btw, it makes no difference "WHO" makes the headlights---there probably are only a handful of manufacturers---it's all in the specifications of materials, design, etc. As long as ANY manufacturer meets those specifications, the same headlight manufacturer for two different cars could have completely different quality and projection of light.

Thanks, tjl5709... Seems like maybe you have experienced the same. I'd really appreciate it if you would keep me posted as to the results of your "fix". Again, thank you!

No joke guys... I have 20 / 20 vision... (have to, as i'm a pilot (without corrective lenses!)). If you have time, get down to your local merc / bmw / other eurocar dealer one evening, and drive a euro car with bi-xenons; you'd understand what i mean. Again, i'm not detracting from the vette... But there are many many many cars out there with far better lights! To me, the vette's lights just don't match the potential performance.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:10 AM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

No joke guys... I have 20 / 20 vision... (have to, as i'm a pilot (without corrective lenses!))...
The 20/20 rating is the ability to see distance. It is not a measure of ability (or inability) to see in the dark, or sensitivity to different colors in the spectrum. Seriously, I believe what you're experiencing is the inability to see the color of light that the C6 lamps project. I find the headlights in the C6 to be great (and yes, I've driven in those other cars you've mentioned). Just my hypothesis...
Old 01-02-2010, 10:16 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

If you can't see at night in a c/6 then new headlights ain't gonna help ya...Try a German Shepard, Or keep that baby parked at night..
Old 01-02-2010, 10:19 AM
ProudAmerican
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can see how bright my Vette lights are every time I pull in my garage at night. Bright and white.

OP, maybe the problem is an optical illusion because in other cars you mention you sit much higher than the headlights (looking downward at the beam). In a Vette you sit closer to level with the beam.

If you have a garage available you can you do the garage test. Here is a good test. Put a tripod outside the garage, shine a light from some cars as the lights are directly under the door. Snap the pictures with a camera that you can fix aperture and shutter speed. Then you can tell from the pictures what's bright, what's not.

If you use a camera without a fixed aperture or shutter speed then you don't have a valid test.

Last edited by ProudAmerican; 01-02-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:50 AM
Strikervette
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi. I've made a somewhat illegal "fix" to my main-beams. When in South Africa recently, I purchased 100W bulbs and associated relay, to try to improve the situation. It's worked (relatively) well... have about 30% better range on hi-beam now! However, I STILL think the Vette lights suck... nothing like my Eurocars (ALL SPECIFIED with OEM BI-XENONS).
Old 01-04-2010, 12:54 PM
RACN1320
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised to see this as I've never had any difficulty seeing at night. Compared to my parents Infinity and Acura vehicles these headlights are awesome.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:01 PM
prince4477
1st Gear

Default Corvette c6 weak dim lights

I found the problem which was the dish of xenon bulb has no more mirror reflection paint it's all burned out.
I fixed it by using aluminium foil cut it in strips and glued it to the interior of the dish and wow after I installed every this my head light is 60 % better than before .
Old 04-02-2022, 06:59 PM
3R1$C
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Awesome but I am not a fan of the design - the C6 is an icon and I will not mount anything that makes it a "fake C7" or a "fake C8". Disappointed that these headlights are designed to imitate the C7 - the C6 is not a C7 (fortunately) and there should be a truly unique C6 headlamp not some copy of some other type of car.

I like the ANZO ones better and they are 1/3rd of the cost of these.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Anzo-USA-...ette/443136573
Old 04-02-2022, 10:19 PM
vetteJPJ
Burning Brakes

Received 358 Likes on 229 Posts

The headlights do suck. I installed new lenses. new bulbs. The only thing that helped was the led fog lights. They are very bight. My 2018 Mercedes c300 has WAY better lights. High beams are not even useable. And yes I had them adjusted at a reputable Corvette shop.. I have adjusted the fogs a bit higher to compensate for the useless low beams. I don't get flashed by other drivers. It's a compromise. The Vette is so low that I believe that adds to the problem.
Old 07-23-2022, 05:09 PM
bangerbean
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Finally took the Corvette out in the dark after a surf session.

The road home is through a forest coastal range in the PNW, and while the low beams are great, the high beams are quite poor, as others have mentioned.

I’ve had a few S2000’s and they are by far the best headlights out there, but it doesn’t look like a retrofit is available for the high beams.

Arguments aside, what’s the general consensus on how to improve the side to side range of the high beam lights?
Old 07-25-2022, 03:58 AM
3R1$C
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Guess the originals are still the best
Old 07-25-2022, 11:48 AM
bangerbean
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 3R1$C
Guess the originals are still the best
Can you elaborate? Surely there’s some more recent upgrades available…
Old 07-25-2022, 12:24 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

Originally Posted by bangerbean
Can you elaborate? Surely there’s some more recent upgrades available…
I would do radio flyers new dual LED projector retrofits if I was going to upgrade lights on thenc6. They're the only thing that's actually a real upgrade IMO.
Old 07-25-2022, 04:18 PM
info@umnitza.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by bangerbean
Finally took the Corvette out in the dark after a surf session.

The road home is through a forest coastal range in the PNW, and while the low beams are great, the high beams are quite poor, as others have mentioned.

I’ve had a few S2000’s and they are by far the best headlights out there, but it doesn’t look like a retrofit is available for the high beams.

Arguments aside, what’s the general consensus on how to improve the side to side range of the high beam lights?
The originals are definitely not the way to go.
https://umnitza.com/zen6-retrofit-ki...eadlights.html
That's the way to go.

Get notified of new replies

To Weak c6 headlights

Old 07-25-2022, 05:53 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

"But consider driving one of these on the autobahn at night, doing 150mph plus, with 70mph lights... It'd be suicide!"

Nah....I'd just turn on the high beams.

Old 07-25-2022, 10:49 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
"But consider driving one of these on the autobahn at night, doing 150mph plus, with 70mph lights... It'd be suicide!"

Nah....I'd just turn on the high beams.
Driving 150 plus at night in pretty much any car is suicide. Maybe if you're in a prepped race car on a track during a sanctioned race, but even then, a racoon or aadillo in the road at that speed is gsme.over, let alone a deer.
Old 07-25-2022, 11:20 PM
Xvoyager
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Driving 150 plus at night in pretty much any car is suicide. Maybe if you're in a prepped race car on a track during a sanctioned race, but even then, a racoon or aadillo in the road at that speed is gsme.over, let alone a deer.
Bundesautobahn 5 Heidelberg > Frankfurt "C4" 150mph after 10pm regularly - and passed by several cars

Quick Reply: Weak c6 headlights