C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's see how many C6's sell in 60 days (plant shutdown)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:38 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't know what GM actually has "invested" in the manufacture of a Corvette. But I'm sure it's lower than all the traditional terms like GMS, Employee Pricing, Invoice etc.

I believe GM may need to consider selling the 6 or 7 thousand cars currently sitting on dealers lots for exactly what they cost to manufacture to clear them off the books. Sort of like the concept being floated in the financial industry with the bad assest held by banks. Just get rid of them.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:42 AM
yell01
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by bub
Corvette probably needs 0% financing & GMS, or potentially both again simultaneously (like for a day back in August 2008) in order to clear out this glut of inventory, in advance of the historical spring sales upturn.

August 2008 sales spiked dramatically, that was when I bought my Z06. GMS and 0% in August '08. The calendar day that GM had both programs in place nationally was like the middle of the month. My GMS came from a dealership employee, and the national program was 0% for 48 on 8/12/08.

That would help to move some units.

Trouble is, all potential buyers may no longer qualify like they did back in August due to tighter lending, unless GMAC can still do it captive with FICO<720.
0% and GMS would help, but the biggest problem is trade in value. Dealers aren't giving anything for any car on trade. A friend of mine went to buy a Lexus GS350 on Friday, great deal on the Lexus, but they'd only give him $12,500 for his 06 Acura RL. It should be worth at least $21-$22k. At that they would've had a deal and sold a car, but at $12.5k no way. They were too anxious to sell cars over the last few years and were giving them away to everyone so now everyone has a new car and the used market is shot and that in turn effects new car sales. Vicious cycle.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:42 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
I don't know what GM actually has "invested" in the manufacture of a Corvette. But I'm sure it's lower than all the traditional terms like GMS, Employee Pricing, Invoice etc.

I believe GM may need to consider selling the 6 or 7 thousand cars currently sitting on dealers lots for exactly what they cost to manufacture to clear them off the books. Sort of like the concept being floated in the financial industry with the bad assest held by banks. Just get rid of them.
Well that would completely finish off the already crappy used vette market! Be great for buyers but you could hardly give a used one away after that. Not saying they shouldn't only man.. I hate to think of the fall out for everything being sold except the ZR1....
Old 02-01-2009, 11:43 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by bub
Corvette needs 0% financing & GMS, or potentially both again simultaneously (for a day) like back in August 2008 when sales spiked dramatically, in order to clear out this glut of inventory.

That was when I bought my Z06. GMS and 0%. That should help to move some units.

Trouble is, all potential buyers may no longer qualify like they did back in August due to tighter lending, unless GMAC can still do it captive with FICO<720.

I purchased my 09 Z06 on July 28th using the employee for friends GMS promotion. I believe the spike in sales in Aug. was do to that promotion, the 0% promotion, and that some of the large forum dealers were selling at GMS prices(and below) even after the GM promotion ended. My belief is that today, a large sales boost would not be generated using those sales promotions as the general economic climate is much worse then it was 5-6 months ago and many, like myself, and you, have already taken the plunge and bought a 09.

The announcement from GM on the new "competition coupe" RPO indicates that they plan to start the plant back up before the '10 production starts up, but if the sales don't improve, it's no problem for them to suspend the option as they really don't have much cost involved in new parts only used in that option.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:49 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Dry Heat
My suspicion is that when a dealership closes, the inventory no longer shows up on the gmbuypower/jeffhardy sites. It would be great if someone could confirm this. As I said a couple of posts ago, I am curious to know how many of these cars are sitting unsold that don’t show up in the numbers being tracked in this thread. Maybe not enough of them to change the percentage much, but I am curious about it.
I agree that there are some discrepancies. Actually, the site shows a ZR1 at Landmark in Houston - and I can assure you that it is not there. The list is not perfect, but as Blazeone said above, it should still paint a fairly consitent picture of the state of Corvette sales, even if the absolute numbers are not perfect.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:54 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

There are some good posts above by folks I have an awful lot of respect for on this forum.

My opinion as an owner of an 09 is that I'd rather them not take drastic action to move them as it will hurt resale even further. On the other hand, I understand that both GM and the dealers need sales right now - so I would have a hard time blaming them for taking action.

But, as Jose said above, I'm not really sure that even dramatic discounts would have a big impact right now on Corvette sales. It's not like anyone really needs to by a new Corvette. And as Yell01 said, even deep discounts aren't much of a help if you have to trade a car to buy a new one. The difference is still about the same because they are both down in value.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These cars are not selling because of the huge markups on them.

Sticker and invoice price gap is huge.. these greedy dealers arent budging. I was at a chevy dealer and they priced a new coupe 1lt as basic as it gets for over 50k. I said that wasnt gonna cut it and they said "we dont really discount them" I just walked out the door. If Chevy closed the markup gap for their greedy dealers there would be a lot more sales. Just my .02 dollars.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:10 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Joe_Planet

Sticker and invoice price gap is huge.. these greedy dealers arent budging. I was at a chevy dealer and they priced a new coupe 1lt as basic as it gets for over 50k. I said that wasnt gonna cut it and they said "we dont really discount them" I just walked out the door. If Chevy closed the markup gap for their greedy dealers there would be a lot more sales. Just my .02 dollars.
Could not disagree more! On average dealers are talking less profit right now or in some cases none than in the history of the car!! There are forum dealers offering the best deals I've even seen! You might have a few idiot dealers that haven't figured it out.. but most have.

I've was called by a CT dealer that was BEGGING me to buy at ridiculous price. this includes the once untouchable Z06! Since I'd have to sell or trade my 06 and get murdered there is no way I make it happen....

Bottom line if you can't find FANTASTIC deals on vettes you haven't looked very hard......... Do you expect dealers to take a loss

Old 02-01-2009, 12:17 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
Well that would completely finish off the already crappy used vette market! Be great for buyers but you could hardly give a used one away after that. Not saying they shouldn't only man.. I hate to think of the fall out for everything being sold except the ZR1....
True, but what happens when GM start up prduction next month??? More vette's are going to pile up on dealers lot's then what???

The market is SICK maybe it's time to PUKE and get over it. The market will adjust and return.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:22 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

True, but what happens when GM start up prduction next month??? More vette's are going to pile up on dealers lot's then what???

The market is SICK maybe it's time to PUKE and get over it. The market will adjust and return.
Yea I hear you! Not disagreeing just saying it would really throw everything even more into a cocked hat. I would rather see them blow everything out and not start line back up for 3 more months. Don't put a bunch of new vettes out there until the inventory is all but exhausted. Go back to making people wait for one.... I waited 7 weeks in 06 to get mine! It's just one screwed up market right now.... sad but it is.. what it is...
Old 02-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Just one problem. GM doesn't own those cars, GM doesn't sell cars retail. GM has already been paid for all those cars. GM can't tell dealers what price they have to sell cars for.

Dealers are trying to stay in business too, and their cost for the car is already fixed. While there is some additional carrying cost, it's not that much per car per month. Most dealers feel like they can't make zero profit on a car and stay in business (duh) and they certainly can't afford to sell the car at a net loss. So you won't see any big discounts beyond those normally seen on the Forum. If that means the cars sit, the cars sit. Dealers make it or they don't. If they don't, the cars go to auction and are bought by dealers with healthier finances. Healthy dealerships mostly got that way from not selling cars at a loss, so don't expect them to sell the cars cheap either. Oh, you'll see some minor short-term discount due to the dealer getting them cheap at auction, but they won't want to go too low for fear of gutting the value of their normal stock.

We've been through this before. The cars will sit until the economy gets better. Slowly, the inventory will be worked off. The real question is whether GM can hang in there while that happens.

Last edited by Gannet; 02-01-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:30 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_Planet

Most forum dealers have huge discounts on the Corvettes on their lots and they are having trouble moving them at prices that incredibly low. Right now, no one is buying any cars - period. Expect total car sales to be down 30 to 35% on average for all car makers.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:35 PM
gogetum
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannet
Just one problem. GM doesn't own those cars, GM doesn't sell cars retail. GM has already been paid for all those cars. GM can't tell dealers what price they have to sell cars for.

Dealers are trying to stay in business too, and their cost for the car is already fixed. While there is some additional carrying cost, it's not that much per car per month. Most dealers feel like they can't make zero profit on a car and stay in business (duh) and they certainly can't afford to sell the car at a net loss. So you won't see any big discounts beyond those normally seen on the Forum. If that means the cars sit, the cars sit. Dealers make it or they don't. If they don't, the cars go to auction and are bought by dealers with healthier finances. Healthy dealerships mostly got that way from not selling cars at a loss, so don't expect them to sell the cars cheap either. Oh, you'll see some minor short-term discount due to the dealer getting them cheap at auction, but they won't want to go too low for fear of gutting the value of their normal stock.

We've been through this before. The cars will sit until the economy gets better. Slowly, the inventory will be worked off. The real question is whether GM can hang in there while that happens.

Why not have GM give a bigger holdback to the dealer to help sales?
Old 02-01-2009, 01:44 PM
blazeone
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The answer is cut production back. They make too many of them. Simple yes but it's all about supply and demand. The present ecomony has less buyers.

I believe they should keep the plant closed until the 2010 production and cut that 1/2. That will bring up your new and used values.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:51 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gannet

I understand your point about GM being paid for them, and GM can't tell them how to price them. But GM can offer additional incentives both to the dealer and to the consumer to move them - effectively lowering the dealer cost on them. I'm not suggesting that, just clarifying.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:56 PM
steve miller
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Conceptually I think that's a good idea. The problem spawned by doing that is the same problem that happened last yr before the advent of $4.00 gas when GM started selling all trucks at invoice with a cut off date. When that cut off date arrived people said BS, and had the attitude that why should a week or so make a difference. What I'm trying to say is that Joe down the block bought his Truck on 7/31 for invoice and now it's Aug. 1 and I can't. If I remember GM had to continually run the program after that.

Same thing will happen with the Vette (IMO) Once you give them away you can't go back.

Just my 02 cents.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:59 PM
metal
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It is my understanding that dealer demand is what triggers production. I would be surprised if dealer demand is high right now.. or for the near future. My best guess is that production will not start back when planned.

Get notified of new replies

To Let's see how many C6's sell in 60 days (plant shutdown)

Old 02-01-2009, 02:08 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by metal
It is my understanding that dealer demand is what triggers production. I would be surprised if dealer demand is high right now.. or for the near future. My best guess is that production will not start back when planned.
I hope you correct! It's simply STUPID to start producing cars that few are buying right now. A dealer would have to a moron to be ordering cars that they can't sell either. Simply keep things shut down until demand catches up with supply. If I were GM I'd consider keeping the plant down until the new model year. Why produce more unwanted inventory? The entire concept hurts everyone that owns a vette right now.

Maybe GM will get smart and simply keep BG shut down another 6 months or so.........
Old 02-01-2009, 02:10 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by metal
Correct, GM does not build Corvettes that are not ordered by a dealer. That's why I doubt if they'll start building again anytime soon.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:20 PM
RRVettes
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
But, as Jose said above, I'm not really sure that even dramatic discounts would have a big impact right now on Corvette sales. It's not like anyone really needs to by a new Corvette. And as Yell01 said, even deep discounts aren't much of a help if you have to trade a car to buy a new one. The difference is still about the same because they are both down in value.
I agree Jim. Until the market corrects, deeper discounts will do very little to increase demand. Delayed payments, zero interest or some other forms of incentives by GM might. But lots of folks are sitting on most of their disposable income for now until some level of confidence in the economy is restored.

Quick Reply: Let's see how many C6's sell in 60 days (plant shutdown)