C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using a buffer on my C6

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:13 PM
rhoward2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Using a buffer on my C6

I recently began looking for a buffer for my '06 C6; I was talking to the manager of a local bodyshop, and he said the factory paint was too thin to buff. Any opinions?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:15 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 309 Likes on 199 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by rhoward2
I recently began looking for a buffer for my '06 C6; I was talking to the manager of a local bodyshop, and he said the factory paint was too thin to buff. Any opinions?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 476 Likes on 243 Posts

I have a buffer that I have used on my 08 with no problem to remove some scratches.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:26 PM
cranky
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

check out the porter cable buffer/polisher on autogeek.com. a lot of people on the forum use it.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:32 PM
DOOKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

I've been using my makita 9227c for awhile. If the body shop guy complains about the paint being too thin go somewhere else. I prefer my makita with a 5" head and a 3" head for smaller areas. Just start slow and best to learn on someone else.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:37 PM
slvr 07
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

be very careful with a buffer, if your not use to it, i was going to buy 07 vert, when i noticed scratches on the hood, i told the dealer i would be back in a few days to complete the deal, but i wanted the scratches eliminated, i returned a few days later to find their so called detailer, using a buffer, left marks all the way down to the primer, deal was squashed......
Old 12-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,196 Posts

The factory clear coat is definitely not too thin to buff out, otherwise I'd have no clear left on my car! A couple of years ago I had a detailer come to my house and he went over the paint a couple of times with a rotary buffer to get rid of most of the swirl marks. After that time, I have bought myself a random orbital buffer (which isn't as agressive as a rotary so it removes less of the clear coat) and have gone over the paint at least 20 more times to keep the minor swirls and scratches away. My paint still looks really good, so I definitely haven't removed too much of the clear at this point.

Even though I have a C5, I'm pretty sure Bowling Green hasn't changed the thickness of the clear coat since they started producing the C6.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:12 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,223 Likes on 833 Posts

Check around for another body shop...many of these car have been wet sanded AND buffed with paint left over.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:05 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,264 Likes on 922 Posts

With the Porter Cable Dual Action buffer you really cant screw anything up. I have been using mine for five years now on two Black Corvettes and scores of other vehicles. I don't know what the body man's "paint is too thin" comment is all about? The clear-coat on the Corvette is adequate and responds very nicely to polishing.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:21 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

It's nearly impossible to hurt the finish with a PC 7424 unless you beat the car with it or drop it on the car. You might want to look at the Flex 3401 too if you have nothing and want to buy your first buffer. I've read some great things about it in the car care section and I'm seiously considering picking one up to keep my PC 7424 company.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:10 AM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I've used a Porter-Cable (Meguiar's logo'd) buffer purchased from their vendor display at the Back to the '50's show here in MN about 4 years ago and have used it successfully on my 'Vettes and other family vehicles. The only way I see you could screw it up is if too aggressive a compound is used and you literally buff right through-otherwise it's foolproof. Practice on another vehicle first to get a feel for it, and you'll definitely become a regular user.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:19 AM
carguy1965
Instructor

I have also used the PC dual action for quite a while now.. Both on my Factory painted cars and my 65 with Custom paint.. It works flawlessly and its almost impossible to screw it up. Use the right pad with the right wax etc, and follow the Autogeek or Adams Polish video, and you can do what any detail shop does. Factory clear being to thin is crap...
Old 12-31-2008, 10:57 AM
Mark VerMurlen
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got the Griot's Garage Random Orbital Buffer. I haven't used it on my new 2009 yet, but I used it a couple of times on my 2002 C5. It worked very well and as long as you use some common sense, I don't think it could damage the paint. It really made my C5 look great. Our Corvette Club in Seattle was given a lesson on how to use it by the Griot's Garage sales people and that really put my mind at ease on using it. I certainly wouldn't use it every time I wash the car, but will probably use it once or twice a year.

- Mark
Old 12-31-2008, 11:19 AM
Hickory Flash
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Mark VerMurlen
I've got the Griot's Garage Random Orbital Buffer. I haven't used it on my new 2009 yet, but I used it a couple of times on my 2002 C5. It worked very well and as long as you use some common sense, I don't think it could damage the paint. It really made my C5 look great. Our Corvette Club in Seattle was given a lesson on how to use it by the Griot's Garage sales people and that really put my mind at ease on using it. I certainly wouldn't use it every time I wash the car, but will probably use it once or twice a year.

- Mark
Old 12-31-2008, 12:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
With the Porter Cable Dual Action buffer you really cant screw anything up. I have been using mine for five years now on two Black Corvettes and scores of other vehicles. I don't know what the body man's "paint is too thin" comment is all about? The clear-coat on the Corvette is adequate and responds very nicely to polishing.

I have two black SUV's and a LMB Vert. Swirl marks galore!!

I have the PC buffer and more compounds and goop than Pep Boys in my garage. I've been attacking swirls and hard water / acid rain etching on my vehicles. While the PC does a great job, it can't really do much for deep down etching like that found from bird crapola or acid rain. The video posted from autogeek.net was helpful.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by 70454

I have two black SUV's and a LMB Vert. Swirl marks galore!!

I have the PC buffer and more compounds and goop than Pep Boys in my garage. I've been attacking swirls and hard water / acid rain etching on my vehicles. While the PC does a great job, it can't really do much for deep down etching like that found from bird crapola or acid rain. The video posted from autogeek.net was helpful.

Deep down etching from acid rain can't be removed even with an aggressive compound and a rotary buffer though. My 98 has a lot of etching in the clear coat which looks like it came from acid rain, and the professional detailer who worked on my car initially told me there was no way he could possibly remove those marks. They are just too deep into the clear. So I've resolved myself to be satisfied with my paint looking 95% perfect. That's the one thing with a black car used as a daily driver (especially when winter driven like mine!), is that you have to realize that it won't ever be perfect, so you just have to be satisfied with getting it most of the way there (and in all honesty, when you see my car from ten feet away it looks perfect, and that's how most of the people see the car, most of them don't inspect it up super close)
Old 12-31-2008, 03:43 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's a nice read:
Bugman on buffing

Whether or not to use a clay bar seems more controversial than paint thickness.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:52 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 573 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Here's a nice read:
Bugman on buffing

Whether or not to use a clay bar seems more controversial than paint thickness.
corvette clear is one of the hardest out there, ask any professional detailer. claying is very safe IF you use the proper lube and technique. most people will do damage by not lubricating correctly and by applying pressure.

Get notified of new replies

To Using a buffer on my C6

Quick Reply: Using a buffer on my C6