C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is It Time Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 02:49 PM
Mike Green9
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Default Is It Time Yet?

My 08 is asleep for the winter. I know it is early to be talking about firing her up - but - what is the best way to do so?

I have been storing cars for the winter since 1969. I never started them during the winter, always feeling this would do more harm than good. For one thing, it would be impossible to fully warm up the motor, and that's not so good for the motor and the exhaust system. Then there is the issue of carboning up the heads, etc.

When spring arrived. I used to pull the coil wire (remember those), boost the battery with another vehicle, and begin a slow cranking on/off cycle until the oil pressure gauge was up there. Then I would reconnect the coil wire, and start the car, letting it run for 10 seconds, and shut it off. I would repeat this cycle a few times, and then I was ready to rock and roll.

I was always worried that the rings would 'stick' to the cylinder walls after sitting in one place for about 4 months. Maybe I should have squirted oil in the cylinders prior to storing, and then again prior to cranking, but I never did. I never had any ring issues.

With my STS, I pull the coil fuse and crank for a few seconds, wait 10 or more seconds, and repeat this cycle a few times.

Is this necessary in today's motors? For those who do store their C6s, how do you deal with this?

It kills me to look at this beast and not be able to use it!!

Thanks for this superb forum. Happy New Year to all.

M.......
Old 12-31-2008, 02:54 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,939 Likes on 4,817 Posts

For me I remove the cover, unhook the battery Tender, fire it up let it idle for a couple of minutes and take it for a short cruise. Also inflate tires if necessary.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:00 PM
switchplanner
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Had mine out two days ago after sitting for two months. It was cold but the streets were dry and the sun was out (for a while anyway). Just fire it up, let it warm up for 10-15 minutes and go.
Now back under the cover and on the battery tender for another couple of months, got 6-7 inches of snow overnight.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Is It Time Yet?

Quick Reply: Is It Time Yet?