C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you happy With "AFTERMARKET Exhaust, or Does the "DRONE" Get to be a "PIA" After

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 06:29 PM
gtovett
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It realy just depends on how loud you want. If you want REAL LOUD youre gunna have a little bit of Drone with most systems. I have bullets and theres quite a bit, it took about a week to get used to. But now its not bad to me at all.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

If you want some attitude with no drone Corsa Sports is the answer. Some do not like the burble on decel though. With the Corsa you hear on accel but at cruise it quite. Very slight going up hill but that can be played with with gearing. The Touring is a waste of $$ IMO. Does not give enough for speeding the bucks. Everything else might/can sound better, with DRONE.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:12 PM
KWC6
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RushThruLife
Headers, X-pipe,hi-flo cats,and Corsa cat backs and NO drone. That means none not at 25mph,70mph or 125mph. Popping and gurgle on down shift..that another thing. But I like that.
Yeah, but the noise in the car is considerable louder with the headers. I had headers on my c5 and it was the noise, not drone, that bothered me. And to the point I regretted the headers because of the noise.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:24 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jpee
i was thinking of getting some kind of after market exhaust, however i do a lot of highway driving, & don't want to hear that terrible "drone" that i have in my 96. I want to hear the radio, and be able to talk not yell to my passenger!

I couldn't have a conversation, with my 96 yes i'd like a little more sound, but also want the car to be civil sounding (inside) while doing between 45- 75 mph.

I'd rather leave it stock than to spend $1200 + and just get aggravated!
npp
Old 02-08-2009, 08:30 PM
BOB EAGAN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vette junkie
Ditto. I bought the Corsa Sports before the car was built. Put them on the first week. Absolutely no drone and no regrets. You might just want to start the car after they are on, let it idle, grab a folding chair and go sit behind the car. Add some cold beer and just listen to the sweet sound. You'll throw away your Mp3 player!
In my rare moments of showing off(???///??/)
I will have friends, neighbors, spectators listen to the car a idle from behind and I musy admit, it''s bad azz sound is the whip. Have had car's follow me into parking lots asking about the mufflers. Of coarse the Kooks LTH and the stage 2 heads and 232/232 .595, 114 lsa cam helps a little. See you are in Plymouth. When the weather get nice Ill send a pm and maybe have lunch. My mother lives in Redford Township and I have cousins in Livonia.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Stickboy97
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I love my Corsa Xtreme's
Old 02-09-2009, 08:49 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I went through 3 different systems on my 06:

1. B&B Rte 66
2. B&B Bullets
3. Borla Sports

I wound up keeping the Borla's but there still was some resonances. I had Corsa Indy's on my 99 and even after installing LT headers they emitted ZERO resonances.

I've heard the NPP open at idle and low RPM's (fuse pulled) and man was I surprised how much they resonated. To me they are only good left closed at low RPM's and open at WOT as designed from the factory. Using them open all the time like an aftermarket Cat-Back created way too much resonance to be enjoyable.

I'm think I've learned my lesson. My next vette may just remain STOCK.

Last edited by AFVETTE; 02-09-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:11 AM
mongooseC6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am looking for that perfect muscle car growl, a bit muted without the sharp "edge" that hurts the ears. I know it when I hear it but don't hear it very often. No drone is a must, too.

I am going to the Borla show in Tennessee in May and I am hoping to hear just what I want.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:53 AM
bullrunvette
Racer

Originally Posted by fyreline
Corsa Sports. No drone. Great sound. Next question?

Old 02-10-2009, 05:39 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by mongooseC6
I am looking for that perfect muscle car growl, a bit muted without the sharp "edge" that hurts the ears. I know it when I hear it but don't hear it very often. No drone is a must, too.

I am going to the Borla show in Tennessee in May and I am hoping to hear just what I want.
mongoose, if you or jpee are going to be at the Bash in April then send me a PM and we can arrange Borla demo.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:53 AM
KBoltz
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

I like a louder exhaust. My Npp's are too quiet for my taste, and I pulled the fuse so it would be louder all the time.

I am interested in a SLP Loudmouth I setup and will probably sell off my NPP from my 08. Not until I sell off the stock wheels first.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:14 PM
CHASLS2
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by peter pan
I put on a set of B&B Route 66s on our 09 A6 for about a week and the drone was terrible and this comes from a boost guy
My Route 66's never droned that bad before the AR header install, and even after the header install the drone is not that bad on my 06 A6.

Guess it's diffrent strokes for different folks.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:11 PM
David Borla
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC6
One mans sweet sound is anothers insane drone.
Well said.

Isn't that part of the fun? You can quantify elements like weight savings, dyno figures, price etc. but sound and looks are subjective.

At the request of our customers we offer 3 different sound levels. Recently, "multi-core" has received a lot of good feedback regarding sound.

http://borla.com/applications/lookup...Section/11759/

It's a little less aggressive than the S-type for those who are looking for something between the S-type and touring.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:20 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by David Borla
Well said.

Isn't that part of the fun? You can quantify elements like weight savings, dyno figures, price etc. but sound and looks are subjective.

At the request of our customers we offer 3 different sound levels. Recently, "multi-core" has received a lot of good feedback regarding sound.

http://borla.com/applications/lookup...Section/11759/

It's a little less aggressive than the S-type for those who are looking for something between the S-type and touring.

yes but can you kill the drone?

I love my Stingers on my 99 and I need something aggressive for my 07 Z06 BUT...would love to get the sound without the drone...I hate the tinny sound of Corsa but I have to admit there is no drone...
Old 02-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Silver99v6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Borla stingers. They make the car sound the way it should and there is practically no drone.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:24 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Gannet
If you're willing to shift around the drone zone, then even Bullets can be pretty livable. If not, you really have to stick to stock or Corsas. Me, I can't stand the way Corsas sound (no offense to those who like 'em).

I think all the non-flapped systems are either too quiet when you want it loud or too loud when you want it quiet.

I think the ideal setup is headers with NPP or Z06 mufflers with the "muffler mod". Seriously loud open, almost as quiet as dead stock when closed. And yes, the NPP or Z06 setup can be retrofitted to your '05. Forum Vendor Pipedreams has everything you need.
I pulled the fuse on my Z06....if that is LOUD for some people then they shouldn't even bother.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Oli1313
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by corrado
Don't even think of Bullets then. I LOVE 'em and would never take them off, but they do drone.

This is my second Vette with Bullets. IMO, it is the way a Vette should sound form the factory. They do drone, but it is my weekend fun driver so it is a non-issue for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Are you happy With "AFTERMARKET Exhaust, or Does the "DRONE" Get to be a "PIA" After

Old 02-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Ward1
Pro

Once the weather gets better in my area, I'm going with either the QTP screamer or DMH low profile cutouts.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:03 PM
knick
Pro

borla touring ...not real loud but sounds better then stock. I like a little sound but I don't want to wake the dead.Drone? some,but nothing I can't live with , IMO they all have some drone, and I've heard em' all
Old 02-17-2009, 03:22 PM
ZPirate
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am very happy with my Borla Touring exhaust with Kooks headers, x-pipe and high flow cats. It's enough sound for me and no drone.

Quick Reply: Are you happy With "AFTERMARKET Exhaust, or Does the "DRONE" Get to be a "PIA" After