C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Take Care of Your Clutch--Preventing or Curing Pedal Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BAMF AE
Questions:

1.) Does this mean that it's too late for me? In other words, do I already have a case of "Clutch Fluid" syndrome, which will require the car to be sent to the shop?

2.) If so, is this something covered by Warranty

Now that I've watched your vid, I will make sure to stay on top of this much more frequently.
I suspect you just need to clean up your fluid following the protocol in my video. Should be fine.

Ranger
Old 02-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Nd4spd2
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Great info, thanks for posting Ranger.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:52 PM
BAMF AE
Safety Car

Location: The Surgeon General has warned that it's ok to smoke mustangs!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by Ranger
I suspect you just need to clean up your fluid following the protocol in my video. Should be fine.

Ranger
Since mine is completely black, how often should I do this until the color is clear? Daily, weekly, monthly?

Also, I noticed in your video that there was a bottle of GM clutch fluid and a bottle of prestone, yet I noticed that you only used the clutch fluid. What was the prestone for?
Old 02-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Since mine is completely black, how often should I do this until the color is clear? Daily, weekly, monthly?

Also, I noticed in your video that there was a bottle of GM clutch fluid and a bottle of prestone, yet I noticed that you only used the clutch fluid. What was the prestone for?
Video at 6:07 states to repeat as many times as necessary until the fluid remains clear after the pedal pumps. In extreme cases, 10-20 swaps are needed to clean it up.

The Prestone shown is a viable alternative, if the GM-brand shown isn't available conveniently.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 02-16-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:46 AM
SorcererXIII
Pro

I hate doing this so I've only been doing it every few months or so. It's never been black, but it does get darker.

This is only my second stick shift car. Do they all have this problem?

Some of my own notes -
1. I tried using a turkey baster, but the residual dot4 eventually melted the plastic! So I went back to the mixer syringe.

2. I keep a dot4 can inside a plastic ziplock in my trunk, stowed amongst a bunch of towels and things. I've noticed that it can seep out from under the cap. Where it's touched the label of the can, the paint has dissolved. The ziplock hasn't dissolved though.

3. My dad (vetterodder) warned that when you use the syringe, be careful not to suck it out of that straw-sized opening at the bottom, because you might introduce an air bubble in there when you pour the clean fluid in. So I always leave a tiny bit in the bottom of the reservoir.

4. The person who invents a mod or something that eliminates this problem could sell it for a good profit.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:24 PM
TLK
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Thanks for info. I'd been concerned about this almost since I took delivery in July. I changed it yesterday (first time) at 7 months/4300 miles. It was completely black, and had been for a long time.

A bunch of changes knocked it down to a brownish color, after which it took the the rest of the 12 oz Prestone bottle and half of another one until it finally stayed clear after pumping the pedal.

I had tried on Sat. to get the GM fluid, but oddly enough it was ridiculously hard to find and list price was about 3 times as much as the Prestone DOT 4.

Thanks to the video, I finally understood how the presure relief insert inside the cap was supposed to be folded up. When I got the car, it was unfolded and crumped up inside the clutch fluid reservoir.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:57 PM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I've done this a few times. The 1st time the fluid was NASTY and crud on the underside of the cap. I didn't know about this on our C5. That had to be extremely dark fluid when traded at 33K miles.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Fluid Flow between Master and Actuator (Slave) Documentation

Brought over from a the Autocross/Roadracing board from a parallel thread on the topic.

Originally Posted by Rob Burgoon
Ranger, just to be 100% clear, you're saying that the clutch fluid circulates? As you pump the pedal, a fluid molecule marches down from the master to the slave cylinder, past the bleeder and then returns to the reservoir? There is a circular path here that traverses most of the system?
Hi Rob.

It’s always a good idea to go to the source document for a definitive description of the operation of the clutch hydraulics. In this case the Corvette Service Manual 2006, Volume 3, page 7-360, and I quote:

The clutch hydraulic system consists of a master cylinder and an actuator cylinder.

When pressure is applied to the clutch pedal (pedal depressed), the pushrod contacts the plunger and pushes it down the bore of the master cylinder.

In the first 0.8 mm (0.031 in) of movement, the recuperation seal closes the port to the fluid reservoir tank, and as the plunger continues to move down the bore of the cylinder, the fluid is forced through the outlet line to the actuator cylinder mounted to the driveline support assembly.

As fluid is pushed down the pipe from the master cylinder, this in turn forces the piston in the actuator cylinder outward.

As the actuator cylinder moves forward, it forces the release bearing to disengage the clutch pressure plate from the clutch disc.

On the return stroke (pedal released), the plunger moves back as a result of the return pressure of the clutch.

Fluid returns to the master cylinder and the final movement of the plunger opens the port to the fluid reservoir, allowing an unrestricted flow between system and reservoir….

There you have if from the source.

Summary: Clutch fluid circulates between the master and actuator (slave).

Note: The volume of fluid in the entire system is a very few ounces. One ounce is in the master cylinder reservoir until diminished as you depress the pedal and create the flow described above.

Hope that helps.

Ranger
Old 02-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Dan Dlabay
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for posting. I have a 05 Z51 6 speed and that will be beneficial information for care and maintenance of my Corvette.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After this procedure, did anyone notice a difference???

Placebo effect?
Old 02-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ahmer
After this procedure, did anyone notice a difference???

Placebo effect?
Hi Ahmer. You might want to read the thread. Plenty of members have answered that question.

Ranger
Old 02-16-2009, 09:56 PM
BAMF AE
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Ranger,

I spoke with my service department regarding my situation, to which I explained in detail. I ended my sentence with...is this covered under warranty. He kind of danced around the question and said that it's quite normal for Corvettes. I'm thinking to myself, they're trying to avoid servicing it (should I take that route) because of GM's deadline tomorrow.

Your thoughts/opinions, or advice. I'd like to make sure that I'm fully armed with info if I decided to take her into the shop.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Ranger,

I spoke with my service department regarding my situation, to which I explained in detail. I ended my sentence with...is this covered under warranty. He kind of danced around the question and said that it's quite normal for Corvettes. I'm thinking to myself, they're trying to avoid servicing it (should I take that route) because of GM's deadline tomorrow.

Your thoughts/opinions, or advice. I'd like to make sure that I'm fully armed with info if I decided to take her into the shop.
My suggestion is to follow the protocol as self-help. Dealer will deal with it under warranty if the pedal is sticking to the floor. But...that would mean the tech might want to check it out for himself by hammering the car....If they bleed the system the dealer-way, they will get clutch fluid all over the inside of the bell-housing. If it splatter on the clutch disc, you'll be worse off still.

Much easier and less risky to follow the protocol on a do-it-yourself basis.

Ranger
Old 02-16-2009, 10:48 PM
MetallicaMatt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is the bleeder valve for the clutch?

I'm used to my FBody, and have installed a remote bleeder, so I just use that to flush out my lines, is it possible to do something like that?

- Corvette Newbie
Old 02-17-2009, 07:45 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
Where is the bleeder valve for the clutch?

I'm used to my FBody, and have installed a remote bleeder, so I just use that to flush out my lines, is it possible to do something like that?

- Corvette Newbie
Bleed valve is not easy to access without dropping the exhaust and tunnel cover. here are two pictures of a C5. C6 is very similar.

From my files:

Open quote

Bleeding a Clutch Via an Installed Remote Bleeder

Courtesy of “wrencher,” a moderator on LS1Tech.com and a GM Tech by profession

A remote bleeder and Mity-Vac are absolutely essential to making the procedure a one-man operation.

Connect a Mity-Vac to the outlet on the remote bleeder. To ensure a tight seal, apply a little “sil-glide” to the threads on the bleeder

Then drain the reservoir with a syringe. Refill with clean fluid.

Then proceed to pull a vacuum & pull the fluid in normal flow direction w/ the Mity-Vac brake fluid bleeding attachment.
Keep doing it till the fluid comes out clean. Make sure you keep the reservoir at the proper level throughout.

I usually keep an eye on the fluid color & flush by the look of it.

I drag race my car a lot. I flush before and after every track visit.

When I don’t, the pedal changes & I know it's flush time.

I do a fluid change & all is well again.

By following this routine, I’ve kept my master cylinder working correctly for 3-4 years now.
Close Quote

I put a remote bleeder on my cars...for the flexibilty of the next owner. For me, swaps via the reservoir are more effective and simpler. The two openings in the clutch actuator (slave) are less than two inches apart. That causes shallow flow during remote bleeding and won't rid the actuator of accumulated crud (clutch dust). That's a central purpose of the full and aggressive pedal pumps in my protocol, to bring the actuator and master crud into suspension and allow the particulate to be evacuated.

But that is the procedure for remote bleeding if you decide it's best for you.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 02-24-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:37 AM
BAMF AE
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I will begin this process this weekend.

Can you advise me where to purchase the syringe?
Old 02-17-2009, 11:40 AM
jeffjob
POSSE Senior Hombre
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 211 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '17-'18

I will begin this process this weekend.

Can you advise me where to purchase the syringe?
Look at post #14...

Get notified of new replies

To Take Care of Your Clutch--Preventing or Curing Pedal Issues

Old 02-17-2009, 12:01 PM
mew
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice work! Thanks.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did it... NICE AND BROWN at first... I had to repeat the procedure about 5 times until I lost the brown streaks in my clutch reservoir... I hope this makes shifting smoother...
Old 02-17-2009, 02:07 PM
AHW219
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ranger, thank you very much for taking the time and effort! I will get on it this weekend.

Quick Reply: Take Care of Your Clutch--Preventing or Curing Pedal Issues