C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM vs. Caravaggio rear wide body fenders for my vert.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:00 PM
adamz28
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM vs. Caravaggio rear wide body fenders for my vert.

I am ready to buy rear wide body fenders for my convertible and need some help choosing which direction to go. I want the fenders to COME modified to fit a convertible. Unfortunately, no body shops near me have done this and I would rather not be the guinea pig for vert. owners looking for a wide booty in Albuquerque, NM.
Here are my choices:

1. Caravaggio fenders = $1270 to my door

2. WCC modified GM fenders = $1700 to my door

I would love to save the $400 for my wheel/tire package. However, if the Caravaggio fitment is an issue (like I've read), the labor in fitting the fenders could negate the lesser cost. Any input is welcome.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Vettlldo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by adamz28
I am ready to buy rear wide body fenders for my convertible and need some help choosing which direction to go. I want the fenders to COME modified to fit a convertible. Unfortunately, no body shops near me have done this and I would rather not be the guinea pig for vert. owners looking for a wide booty in Albuquerque, NM.
Here are my choices:

1. Caravaggio fenders = $1270 to my door

2. WCC modified GM fenders = $1700 to my door

I would love to save the $400 for my wheel/tire package. However, if the Caravaggio fitment is an issue (like I've read), the labor in fitting the fenders could negate the lesser cost. Any input is welcome.
I have Caravaggio rear quarters without the rear brake vents and there was a lot of trimming and fitting required (clicky here). I would opt for the modified GM Z06 rear quarters the next time around.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Sportsdude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ACI also has the rear kit for about $1200. Not sure of the quality though. Spectre is also working on an adaptor to mount GM rear fenders on the convertible.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO go with the GM. Better quality and fitment.

Sometimes saving money by going cheaper quality is not worth the headaches.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettlldo
I have Caravaggio rear quarters without the rear brake vents and there was a lot of trimming and fitting required (clicky here). I would opt for the modified GM Z06 rear quarters the next time around.
BTW, your car looks great.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:18 AM
1wicked
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Gm for sure

My husband just finished my 08 vert rear WB. Used the kit from WCC. Had to send the first set of modified fenders back, as they trimmed too much form the fenders. Second set worked like a charm, he told them to not trim so much off and leave the rest to him. He said it wouldn't be much work to trim the fenders yourself, but the pre-trimmed makes the job a little easier. If he had to do it again, he'd just order from Gene (GM Parts House) and trim them himself. Advise you wait until Spectre Works comes out with the brackets prior to commencing with the mod so you don't have to remove the brackets from your original fenders (kinda trashes them & makes them difficult to sell).
Old 03-11-2009, 02:21 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Marc V.
IMO go with the GM. Better quality and fitment.

Sometimes saving money by going cheaper quality is not worth the headaches.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:58 AM
siggi-annette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go with the GM Fender, is the best.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:13 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by siggi-annette
go with the GM Fender, is the best.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 1wicked
My husband just finished my 08 vert rear WB. Used the kit from WCC. Had to send the first set of modified fenders back, as they trimmed too much form the fenders. Second set worked like a charm, he told them to not trim so much off and leave the rest to him. He said it wouldn't be much work to trim the fenders yourself, but the pre-trimmed makes the job a little easier. If he had to do it again, he'd just order from Gene (GM Parts House) and trim them himself. Advise you wait until Spectre Works comes out with the brackets prior to commencing with the mod so you don't have to remove the brackets from your original fenders (kinda trashes them & makes them difficult to sell).

I would just buy the kit from Gene and trim them yourself. I installed the Caravaggio fenders and they required a lot of trimming. If you search my old posts you can see pictures and detailed description of the trimming that was required.

Charley
Old 03-11-2009, 10:03 AM
adamz28
Instructor

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like GM is the way to go. I'll look into the Spectre Works brackets and doing the trimming myself.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:04 AM
adamz28
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vettlldo
Your car looks great!
Old 03-11-2009, 10:20 AM
LPE385
Melting Slicks

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

Its always better to have GM parts then after market. Less trimming/work equals less money spent with the painter. I would go with the GM quarters.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:47 PM
adamz28
Instructor

Called Specter. Sounds like brackets are ~3-4 weeks out still. No info. on pricing yet.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:31 PM
adamz28
Instructor

Do the modified WCC fenders come with the brackets?
Old 03-11-2009, 10:46 PM
Vettlldo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
BTW, your car looks great.
Thanks! It certainly puts a big grin on my face every time I drive it.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by adamz28
Do the modified WCC fenders come with the brackets?
No they don't. You have to remove them from your existing fenders.

Charley

Get notified of new replies

To GM vs. Caravaggio rear wide body fenders for my vert.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Specter Werkes/Sport
Racer

We are still finalizing our final package for a C6 Z06 Conversion. We are building adapters that allow you to use factory GM rear quarters to bolt up to the factory points on a convertible with just trimming the front where they have a different radius. The package will also include front fender well extensions to eliminate the gap when you swap front fenders.

We are still a couple weeks out on the project.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:48 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,579 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Maybe an odd duck here, but I have the Caravaggio quarters and they fit just fine with no trimming required.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:19 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Love the clean look of the Carvaggios.

Quick Reply: GM vs. Caravaggio rear wide body fenders for my vert.