C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Sills

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 01:33 PM
NYC-Style
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Door Sills

I'm thinking of getting the chrome door sills with corvette emblem...I've heard that it goes over your existing sill using 3M tape from a vendor...another vendor says to remove the existing door sill using a hair blower and remove any existing adhesive before applying the new sills. Has anyone done it and which method did you use? Please post a pic if avail...thanks.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:54 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC-Style
I'm thinking of getting the chrome door sills with corvette emblem...I've heard that it goes over your existing sill using 3M tape from a vendor...another vendor says to remove the existing door sill using a hair blower and remove any existing adhesive before applying the new sills. Has anyone done it and which method did you use? Please post a pic if avail...thanks.
I bought the stainless looking sills from GM parts direct ( about $55 ea)to replace the black plastic door sills on my `05 . . and encourage you to take the extra time to remove the old sill, take all the glue off and start fresh.

I pulled off the passenger side after marking the position with a few strips of tape- using a hair dryer to heat it and make it pliable - - pulled off the larger chunks of adhesive - -about the consistency of school "rubber cement". I started from one corner to line things up and then rolled the new one out using a flat plastic paddle and peeling off the backing material. I used the hair dryer to smooth it and get out bubbles, but some of the uneveness of the remaining glue still leaves visible bumps.

On the drivers side, I took the time to remove all the glue using WD40, a flat plastic paddle, hair dryer, adhesive remover and several beers. After cleaning thoroughly with simple green and using the same tape marks for positioning, I put down the new stainless door sill removing the backing paper as I went and smoothing each section out with the hair dryer, plastic blade and stubby fingers until it was smooth.

What a difference another 20 minutes and some patience makes!

I'm sure it can be done more quickly, but I took about an hour start to finish with the previously referenced beer and obligatory obsessing.

Good luck - -

Last edited by CQRT; 03-14-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:59 PM
apsisusa
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 604 Likes on 408 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by NYC-Style
We make the Illuminated Door Sill for C6. When you open the door it will light up and it glows at night. The parts are made of stainless and you mount over the existing plastic.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:18 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by CQRT
I bought the stainless looking sills from GM parts direct ( about $55 ea)to replace the black plastic door sills on my `05 . . and encourage you to take the extra time to remove the old sill, take all the glue off and start fresh.

I pulled off the passenger side after marking the position with a few strips of tape- using a hair dryer to heat it and make it pliable - - pulled off the larger chunks of adhesive - -about the consistency of school "rubber cement". I started from one corner to line things up and then rolled the new one out using a flat plastic paddle and peeling off the backing material. I used the hair dryer to smooth it and get out bubbles, but some of the uneveness of the remaining glue still leaves visible bumps.

On the drivers side, I took the time to remove all the glue using WD40, a flat plastic paddle, hair dryer, adhesive remover and several beers. After cleaning thoroughly with simple green and using the same tape marks for positioning, I put down the new stainless door sill removing the backing paper as I went and smoothing each section out with the hair dryer, plastic blade and stubby fingers until it was smooth.

What a difference another 20 minutes and some patience makes!

I'm sure it can be done more quickly, but I took about an hour start to finish with the previously referenced beer and obligatory obsessing.

Good luck - -

Looks great. I'm sure the beer helped.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:53 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

.....take the time to take off your old ones, I don't think you will regret it.....I am not sure that you need to take off all the old adhesive if your new one is very good....I'd also wait until the temperature is up in at least the upper 50's or lower 60's to do this too....lots easier when its warmer....

Last edited by C6NRED; 03-14-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:17 PM
BOWTYE8
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks great. More modern.

Get notified of new replies

To Door Sills

Quick Reply: Door Sills