C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

European taillights for the C6

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:30 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Default European taillights for the C6

Just stopped in Mallett Performance yesterday where they work on Vettes, CTS-Vs and Solstices. Some of the Vettes they send to Europe have these neat tail lights--top half red and bottom half yellow. Anyone know if they're legal in the US? They're attractive and distinctive. Not sure of the cost as I never asked and they weren't sure of US compliance.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:46 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 238 Posts

I'm fairly certain that they're not - - I checked this link and found it less than fully informative-- perhaps you can drill down a bit more:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...vss/index.html

My recollection is that all tail lights and stop lights must be red-only.

You might want to call or write to the Ohio Highway Patrol or their code enforcement group - -they usually focus on trucking, but will doubtlessly know the regs.

Sorry not to have a more definitive answer - - post the findings, will you please?
Old 03-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

I just saw those for sale in one of the many Corvette catalogs I get in the mail for something like $141/ea. You would need 4.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:18 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Rear blinkers can be amber, but brakes and tails must be red. Properly hooked up, they would be legal in USA. Europe requires blinkers to be amber.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:57 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CQRT
I'm fairly certain that they're not - - I checked this link and found it less than fully informative-- perhaps you can drill down a bit more:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...vss/index.html

My recollection is that all tail lights and stop lights must be red-only.

You might want to call or write to the Ohio Highway Patrol or their code enforcement group - -they usually focus on trucking, but will doubtlessly know the regs.

Sorry not to have a more definitive answer - - post the findings, will you please?
As I suspect also. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:57 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tom_Slick
I just saw those for sale in one of the many Corvette catalogs I get in the mail for something like $141/ea. You would need 4.
Ouch"""" Four times.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Properly connected they would be legal. Amber rear turn signals are fine (you see them on big trucks all the time.) Getting them properly connected and properly operational is another thing altogether. You have to find a way to separate out the turn signal action from the brake lamp action. Getting the lenses is the easy (and inexpensive (!) part.) The Euro cars use a different rear wiring harness and (I think) different programming.

Z//
Old 03-18-2009, 02:48 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

The dealership where my brother got his C6 sold them...he had them installed before picking the car up.

I really wish someone made a plug & play system like they have for the C5's....I saw somewhere a while back how big the job was on the C6 and it's pretty involved.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:29 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kinda wish the states would require amber turn signals also. Sometimes it is hard to tell if someone is signaling to change lanes for hitting their brake. From some angles, no way to tell the difference. I saw them being installed at the Corvette factory, and thought it made sense to have them here as well. Didn't realize the wiring for those were different, but makes sense. The ones at the factory were half red, and half amber on one lense, the euro vettes also had the turn signals in the front fender.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Vettlldo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
Properly connected they would be legal. Amber rear turn signals are fine (you see them on big trucks all the time.) Getting them properly connected and properly operational is another thing altogether. You have to find a way to separate out the turn signal action from the brake lamp action. Getting the lenses is the easy (and inexpensive (!) part.) The Euro cars use a different rear wiring harness and (I think) different programming.

Z//
If the C6 is anything like the C5, it should be doable. I converted my '04 C5 vert to OEM GM European taillights. It did require an additional GM wiring harness and required cutting 1 wire over the brake switch area (white as I recall). I also converted my taillights to LED bulbs once I converted to the European taillights since they were both on separate circuits.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:49 PM
fred_S
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny, on the European forums loads of guys want to convert to US spec taillights because they look cool, on the US forums its the other way round.

Get notified of new replies

To European taillights for the C6

Quick Reply: European taillights for the C6