C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation Stereo Sounds Terrible.....What can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:44 PM
lfsglass
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Navigation Stereo Sounds Terrible.....What can I do?

I'm sure this topic has been discussed time and time again. Can anyone explain (or provide a link explaining) why the Nav Stereo sound quality sucks? I remember briefly reading about this topic before I bought a C6 with the factory Nav. Now I see what the fuss is about. The standard stereo in my last C6 sounded a whole lot better. The Nav Stereo in my wifes Expedition sounds great.....what happened to the Nav stereo in the vette? What upgrades work well with the factory Nav head unit(speakers, etc.)?
Old 04-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lfsglass
I'm sure this topic has been discussed time and time again. Can anyone explain (or provide a link explaining) why the Nav Stereo sound quality sucks? I remember briefly reading about this topic before I bought a C6 with the factory Nav. Now I see what the fuss is about. The standard stereo in my last C6 sounded a whole lot better. The Nav Stereo in my wifes Expedition sounds great.....what happened to the Nav stereo in the vette? What upgrades work well with the factory Nav head unit(speakers, etc.)?
The Nav sound in the 09 is very good. Try adjusting the balance, bass, ect....
Old 04-15-2009, 09:10 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have any issues with my nav sound, except for XM sounding low. But that is not the nav, it is XM.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:45 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

First start by making sure you have all the available adjustments set to where they sound the best for you. If you aren't satisfied, many have found that disconnecting the center dash speaker helps. The next step would be replacing the door speakers with better ones like BA35's. The Bose speakers have paper cones, obviously not the best setup. After that you will get into replacing the head unit.

Here is a thread on the center speaker disconnect:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...r-speaker.html

And here is one with an explanation of why the Bose sounds marginal:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...planation.html

Old 04-15-2009, 09:45 PM
TinSecondRice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'11

I have an Eclipse amp with some Diamond audio 6.5's in the rear, kicker 8's in the doors, and infinity 3.5's in the doors. Sounds good now.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:51 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Two words, Bose blows.

Rip the Bose amp out by its ugly black roots and replace it with an actual 4 channel stereo amplifier (Alpine makes a nice one, the Nav HU has 4 ch outputs). Rewire the rear speakers in stereo instead of mono. Disconnect the center dash speaker. Those two things are currently destroying your stereo sound stage. And while you're doing all that, replace the cheesy $3 made in Mexico paper cone speakers with a set of Boston Acoustics speakers (JL Audio, Eclipse, or Polk speakers also work well). If you like, you can add a subwoofer in the rear. This latter isn't necessary unless you just have to have ghetto thump, but a surprising number of people appear to like that.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by shopdog
Two words, Bose blows.

Rip the Bose amp out by its ugly black roots and replace it with an actual 4 channel stereo amplifier (Alpine makes a nice one, the Nav HU has 4 ch outputs). Rewire the rear speakers in stereo instead of mono. Disconnect the center dash speaker. Those two things are currently destroying your stereo sound stage. And while you're doing all that, replace the cheesy $3 made in Mexico paper cone speakers with a set of Boston Acoustics speakers (JL Audio, Eclipse, or Polk speakers also work well). If you like, you can add a subwoofer in the rear. This latter isn't necessary unless you just have to have ghetto thump, but a surprising number of people appear to like that.
To bad it's not in a Toyota then it would be awesome.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:00 PM
lfsglass
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
First start by making sure you have all the available adjustments set to where they sound the best for you. If you aren't satisfied, many have found that disconnecting the center dash speaker helps. The next step would be replacing the door speakers with better ones like BA35's. The Bose speakers have paper cones, obviously not the best setup. After that you will get into replacing the head unit.

Here is a thread on the center speaker disconnect:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...r-speaker.html

And here is one with an explanation of why the Bose sounds marginal:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...planation.html

I'm not looking for competition quality sound....but there is a substantially noticeable difference between the Nav stereo in the Ford Expedition and the C6Z. After having the standard stereo in my '05 C6...I was very disappointed when I turned up the Nav stereo in the Z. I do recall reading treads a long time ago from other disappointed C6 owners. Anyone who agrees please chime in and let me know what you have done to upgrade the sound quality.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:12 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Anyone who agrees please chime in and let me know what you have done to upgrade the sound quality.
That's what I just told you. Disconnect the center dash speaker. If that doesn't do it for you then you will have to start replacing components, starting with the speakers.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:47 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
To bad it's not in a Toyota then it would be awesome.
Toyota would put in a Mark Levinson system as they do in their Lexus cars. Chevy could have at least sprung for Infinity, which even Dodge uses in their pickup trucks. Either one beats Bose so soundly it isn't even a contest.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:00 AM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Toyota would put in a Mark Levinson system as they do in their Lexus cars. Chevy could have at least sprung for Infinity, which even Dodge uses in their pickup trucks. Either one beats Bose so soundly it isn't even a contest.
Toyota rules. Like you say on the forum everything GM makes or has anything to do with is awful. Toyota all the way.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:50 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Toyota rules. Like you say on the forum everything GM makes or has anything to do with is awful. Toyota all the way.
It really galls you that Toyota is a better managed company than GM, doesn't it? It really galls you when people point out GM's foisting of crap onto their customers while Toyota is offering better value for less money. GM could do so much better, but they don't. Using Bose in the Corvette is just one example of GM not caring that they're foisting overpriced crap on their customers. The Infinity system in my 1998 Dodge RAM, which listed for $1,000 less than what GM charges for their Bose "premium" system, sounds so much better than the Bose in my Corvette it isn't funny. Mark Levinson systems in Toyota's Lexus also sound better, and sell for no more money. A good stereo doesn't need to be expensive, and certainly a bad stereo shouldn't be expensive. But when GM puts Bose in the Corvette, we get both bad sound and a premium price. That's just appalling.

GM does do some things well. Since 1955 their small block V8 has been a winner. The Turbo Hydramatic transmission has been one of the better transmissions starting with the TH350 of the 1960s. The venerable Powerglide is still considered one of the best choices for a sprint car, or an econorail dragster. Etc. But OTOH GM has also done some awful things in terms of automotive engineering. They also have been incredibly inept in business terms. They've shown a total lack of ability to manage costs. They've hugely shed market share, and are attempting to shed more. Reducing the number of your customers in the face of rising costs is a recipe for continued failure. But forget all that, lets just wave that and ignore the harm GM has done and is doing to US manufacturing and the economies of communities which depended on auto manufacturing for their survival. It wouldn't do at all to acknowledge that companies like Toyota and KIA have come in, picked up the pieces, and started the process of rebuilding communities abandoned by GM or Ford. That would just make your head explode.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:57 AM
REVHIGH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I just finished a full rip and replace of all the audio components. I couldn;t express my opinion any more clearly. When I bought this car, I envisioned driving through the country side with the top out, and Freddie King cranked up. Impossible with the Blose sytem. It washed out pretty quickly... This summer, I get to drive my dream REVHIGH machine.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:56 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

It really galls you that Toyota is a better managed company than GM, doesn't it? It really galls you when people point out GM's foisting of crap onto their customers while Toyota is offering better value for less money. GM could do so much better, but they don't. Using Bose in the Corvette is just one example of GM not caring that they're foisting overpriced crap on their customers. The Infinity system in my 1998 Dodge RAM, which listed for $1,000 less than what GM charges for their Bose "premium" system, sounds so much better than the Bose in my Corvette it isn't funny. Mark Levinson systems in Toyota's Lexus also sound better, and sell for no more money. A good stereo doesn't need to be expensive, and certainly a bad stereo shouldn't be expensive. But when GM puts Bose in the Corvette, we get both bad sound and a premium price. That's just appalling.

GM does do some things well. Since 1955 their small block V8 has been a winner. The Turbo Hydramatic transmission has been one of the better transmissions starting with the TH350 of the 1960s. The venerable Powerglide is still considered one of the best choices for a sprint car, or an econorail dragster. Etc. But OTOH GM has also done some awful things in terms of automotive engineering. They also have been incredibly inept in business terms. They've shown a total lack of ability to manage costs. They've hugely shed market share, and are attempting to shed more. Reducing the number of your customers in the face of rising costs is a recipe for continued failure. But forget all that, lets just wave that and ignore the harm GM has done and is doing to US manufacturing and the economies of communities which depended on auto manufacturing for their survival. It wouldn't do at all to acknowledge that companies like Toyota and KIA have come in, picked up the pieces, and started the process of rebuilding communities abandoned by GM or Ford. That would just make your head explode.
I agree that the Levinson is better than the Corvette's Bose. But a couple of points....

How do you know how much they are charging for the Bose? It's packaged with many other options.

I suggest you actually cross-shop GM and comparable Toyota/Lexus vehicles. I'll be money you can't show that the GM vehicles are more expensive.

Yes, it's dissapointing the GM does not offer a better stereo, but it's likely not Bose' fault. I've had some really good Bose systems (including the Bose Gold in C4's). Auto makers dictate how good of a system Bose makes for each car.

Yes, Bose sold out and for that they should be shot.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:58 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Really? You saying the Corvette that you spend a lot of money for is awful? Why aren't you driving a MR2 then?
Old 04-16-2009, 09:03 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Have to swap it out.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:17 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by danl72
I don't have any issues with my nav sound, except for XM sounding low. But that is not the nav, it is XM.

It's not XM but actually the design capability of the radio in the Corvette to receive XM. XM sounds 100% better in any other vehicle so equipped.

Get notified of new replies

To Navigation Stereo Sounds Terrible.....What can I do?

Old 04-16-2009, 10:23 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone who buys a Corvette for the sound of the radio should be driving a Lexus instead IMHO. Hell, my first Corvette, a '58 fuelie with super rare RPO 687 (big brakes; HD suspension), didn't even have a radio (radio delete option)!!! It was a thrill just to drive the thing.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:34 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vetdude
It's not XM but actually the design capability of the radio in the Corvette to receive XM. XM sounds 100% better in any other vehicle so equipped.
And in my home system as well.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

I'm not arguing with you here. Toyota rules. All offshore companies are better then American companies. I'm with you on this. Buy Japanese...Screw America. I'm on board with you. You have finally convinced me. I have seen many of your post pop up anytime anything negative is written about the Vette, GM, and Ford. After reading all this you have convinced me. Along with the many positive things you say about Toyota. They are the best. The Vette is the last American product I will ever buy. I'm with shopdog on this...Screw America and her companies..Buy Foreign..

And for the flag. I'm with you on that to. Forget it.

Quick Reply: Navigation Stereo Sounds Terrible.....What can I do?