C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Bra-yeah or nay? ...the dark side

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 06:00 PM
stroked250
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Clear Bra-yeah or nay? ...the dark side

I have read many good things about the various clear bras on the internet; however, I have some reservations, read below...

I have talked to two installers, one from a very highly recommended tinting shop and one from a restoration body shop, both persuaded me to stay away from clear bras. Both arguements were identical. Each of them stated that there will be some level of yellowing over time (any brand), this may be a a few years, but it will happen. Also, both stated that the film won't really protect from rock chips. They said that it just keeps the paint in place from the chip until you peel it off. The catch 22 is that as soon as you take it off, the warranty is voided. When you peel it off over time, the chips and paint will come with it; thus looking like it would have without the film. They said for the cost, you may as well just repair the bumps and bruises with paint.

I really want to add the ClearBra to my rear corners where they brake duct intakes are getting sand blasted!

I was just looking for some more opinions and thoughts on the above.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:19 PM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stroked250
I have read many good things about the various clear bras on the internet; however, I have some reservations, read below...

I have talked to two installers, one from a very highly recommended tinting shop and one from a restoration body shop, both persuaded me to stay away from clear bras. Both arguements were identical. Each of them stated that there will be some level of yellowing over time (any brand), this may be a a few years, but it will happen. Also, both stated that the film won't really protect from rock chips. They said that it just keeps the paint in place from the chip until you peel it off. The catch 22 is that as soon as you take it off, the warranty is voided. When you peel it off over time, the chips and paint will come with it; thus looking like it would have without the film. They said for the cost, you may as well just repair the bumps and bruises with paint.

I really want to add the ClearBra to my rear corners where they brake duct intakes are getting sand blasted!

I was just looking for some more opinions and thoughts on the above.
I'm not sure I understand, but if you peel it off, then the warranty would be void anyway because you did peel it off?

I had two cars with Expel clear bra for 3+ years with no yellowing. They were both silver. I recently had my '09 ZO6 done.

I had one section that needed to be replaced on my C5 after 2 1/2 years. I drove that car back and forth during that time frame, 1,120 miles each way on I-95 from PA to and from Florida, about 6 times. I know there would have been stone chips, as that trip is brutal for chips. When they replaced my clear bra on the front bumper, nothing peeled off and there were zero stone chips. The clear bra did it's job very well. My bumper clear bra had to be replaced as someone backed into me in a parking lot and damaged the clear bra, but, it did not damage the paint.

Body shops do not like clear bra used, as it takes away from your needing their services.
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Here is a link to my clear bra experience. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...s-of-pics.html

If I had to do it over again I would. It does prevent chips, it does not yellow, it has given me complete piece of mind regarding damage to the front of my car.

The two most important things to consider when doing this is the quality of the film itself. I strongly recommend VentureShield. 3M bought them out but still sells the material under the VS name for a reason. It's the best stuff and second it's critical to find a good installer. A good installer makes the difference from a **** poor job to one people can't even see unless you point it out to them.
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suppose that a rock of significant weight might do what he said like keep the chip in place until the film is removed. I really don't think that small particles like sand will chip the paint underneath the clear bra. I've had mine on for 2.5 years now and it has not yellowed (would be hard to tell on my car anyway!!!). I will put it on again on any new car that I get in the future, the mirrors especially.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:31 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

My C6 is the 3rd car I've had a clear bra done to (always 3M). I wouldn't be without it on any vehicle I buy in the future either.

Needless to say I disagree with your "installers". My experience says they're wrong on all counts
Old 04-22-2009, 06:41 PM
09C6Coupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Clearbra on my Midnight Blue '05 GTO. It was removed & replaced 3 times due to impacts with items on the highway. Not once did the paint get damaged from the impacts. The Clearbra got trashed instead. None of them ever yellowed either. Well worth the investment.

I am in the process of buffing up my new black '09 C6 Coupe and it will get a VentureShield Clearbra on it when I am done.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:55 PM
richhoff
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like your guys would rather sell you a new paint job!!

I will have a clear bra on every vette I own. I have never seen an issue.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:59 PM
danl72
Race Director

I think the installers make a difference.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:09 PM
stroked250
Drifting

Originally Posted by richhoff

haha, no, one doesn't even paint, the other knows that I use a different body shop anyway! Both invited me to come down and see thier cars that have it installed. I may do that, they both said that there are issues with yellowing on white cars especially showing it. Each spoke of 3M materials.

...thanks for the replies! I think I will give it a shot for sure, I just wanted to see if there was any negative impressions from the forum guys!

Cheers!
Old 04-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha, no, one doesn't even paint, the other knows that I use a different body shop anyway! Both invited me to come down and see thier cars that have it installed. I may do that, they both said that there are issues with yellowing on white cars especially showing it. Each spoke of 3M materials.

...thanks for the replies! I think I will give it a shot for sure, I just wanted to see if there was any negative impressions from the forum guys!

Cheers!
Nothing negative here. Will never buy another car without a clear bra. I would strongly urge you to stay away from the 2 you spoke to. Sounds like they do not like this type of work. It is very difficult and time consuming.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Keencutter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like 3M VentureShield is the most recommended and popular brand. There is a highly recommended installer near me but he sells the Solar Gard Clearshield brand that comes with a 5 year warranty.
Does anyone have any experience one way or another with this brand or should I just hunt around for someone that installs the VentureShield?
Old 04-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Griffee
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had the Clearshield by Solargard on my personal vehicle for years. Never a problem. I was also a professional installer for them. It is a quality product. No yellowing. The only thing I will tell you about white is it will show a "dirt line" after awhile. The edges will be more noticeable in time because of it, but hands down I think the trade off is well worth it.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:04 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Keencutter
It looks like 3M VentureShield is the most recommended and popular brand. There is a highly recommended installer near me but he sells the Solar Gard Clearshield brand that comes with a 5 year warranty.
Does anyone have any experience one way or another with this brand or should I just hunt around for someone that installs the VentureShield?
3M and Ventureshield are 2 different types of materials. (only 3M can be wiped down with mineral spirits to remove scratches without turning to goo).

All mine have been done in 3M and I have no regrets
Old 04-22-2009, 09:37 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

A clear bra is a good thing. A small lower piece of mine had to be replaced last summer after I got too close to a curb stop when I pulled head in to a parking space. The lower section (below the grill) of the clear bra got scraped up, but there was zero damage to the paint underneath it. There was also zero evidence of any paint being lifted from rock chips when that small piece was removed, even though I'm sure I took many rock hits while the clear bra was on.
The scraped up piece was removed and replaced and I was on my way again.
Also, my clear bra was installed in December of 2006 and has no evidence of yellowing at all.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:00 PM
stroked250
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
Sounds like they do not like this type of work. It is very difficult and time consuming.
No, for one guy this is a lot of his business. He does a lot of high end cars. He just stated his personal opinion. His installations look great too. I have had him tint several other cars in the past.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

No, for one guy this is a lot of his business. He does a lot of high end cars. He just stated his personal opinion. His installations look great too. I have had him tint several other cars in the past.
His sure has a odd sales pitch.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:08 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 528 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by NW94Z
Here is a link to my clear bra experience. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...s-of-pics.html

If I had to do it over again I would. It does prevent chips, it does not yellow, it has given me complete piece of mind regarding damage to the front of my car.

The two most important things to consider when doing this is the quality of the film itself. I strongly recommend VentureShield. 3M bought them out but still sells the material under the VS name for a reason. It's the best stuff and second it's critical to find a good installer. A good installer makes the difference from a **** poor job to one people can't even see unless you point it out to them.

My thoughts exactly.

My installer gave me a lifetime warranty on the material & installation.
If it ever yellows, scratches, bubbles or peels, he'll replace it at no charge.
Ventureshield is fantastic stuff.

Get notified of new replies

To Clear Bra-yeah or nay? ...the dark side

Old 04-22-2009, 11:12 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 568 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by richhoff

Old 04-22-2009, 11:24 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

VentureShield has a life time warranty against yellowing for original owner. I'm not surprised about the comments from both dealers. One loves to do body work so he is hoping for a customer in 3-5 years when the front end looks like the moon. The other is a tint installer which my guess probably installed a clear bra before and had complaints due to the quality of his install.

They also did not tell you that most colors are very hard to match up. Unless you decide to paint the whole car, someone will know and maybe even question if it was in an accident. My clear bra has had rocks, birds (dead and alive) and other things hit it with no damage. Another member had a good size chip on his clear bra but zero damage on the paint. Do you want a big chip right on the center front of the hood?
Old 04-22-2009, 11:44 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
VentureShield has a life time warranty against yellowing for original owner. I'm not surprised about the comments from both dealers. One loves to do body work so he is hoping for a customer in 3-5 years when the front end looks like the moon. The other is a tint installer which my guess probably installed a clear bra before and had complaints due to the quality of his install.

They also did not tell you that most colors are very hard to match up. Unless you decide to paint the whole car, someone will know and maybe even question if it was in an accident. My clear bra has had rocks, birds (dead and alive) and other things hit it with no damage. Another member had a good size chip on his clear bra but zero damage on the paint. Do you want a big chip right on the center front of the hood?

Both dealers seem to have a issue with the product they sell.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra-yeah or nay? ...the dark side