C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update On PAL!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 04:42 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC6
That post of mine that you quoted, what does "release" phase(his words) mean to you?
Release means to me what it means in Software speak.

Windows 7 will RTM on July 15th (the R is release) but not be for sale until October 22nd.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:45 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NYC6
[[COLOR="Red"]COLOR="Red"]

My question was directed at TheTrot not you.
Secondly,I never saw someone on this site contradict himself so much in such a short time frame. You come across as pathological!
No, you just don't understand the terminology.

An automotive part is "released" into the system once it has passed software and hardware validation. Once it is released if the software or hardware update is to an existing part it is then processed by the assembly plant.

If not, there are additional test runs and quality checks before the part is given to dealers.

A "Release Engineer" is the person who "releases" the part, this only releases it to Manufacturing. This is not the same thing as it being commercially available.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,660 Likes on 847 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
I will certainly let my customers and friends know when this item is in stock. I will order one meaaalion of these for you guys and we'll do a group purchase.
Count me in on that group purchase when the PAL comes out I like the nav, but I almost considered getting the 2LT base model instead of the 3LT Z51 I did buy because of the inability to hook up my iPod.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:13 PM
akriggm
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
I will certainly let my customers and friends know when this item is in stock. I will order one meaaalion of these for you guys and we'll do a group purchase.
Gene,

Please add my name to the group buy list as well. I was getting ready to do the XM-splice mod, but the PAL sounds more interesting!!
Enjoy,
akriggm
Old 06-16-2009, 09:01 AM
BDillon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like many I too am waiting on the edge of my seat for PAL to be available.
Please put my name e on any list you have for PAL.
I have an 08 C^ 3LT with Nav, for what it'd worth.

Gene, thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Bill
Old 06-16-2009, 11:41 AM
mickeykelley
Burning Brakes

If it will not support charging for the newer iPhone and iTouch, then it is a total waste as far as I am concerned. I have an US Spec and all I had to do was send it back to them for some quick whatever (got the exact same box back as I marked mine just to see if I did) plus different cable and it charges my iPhone3G and iPod Video. I would not even consider a change no matter how good the interface is unless it charges. Period. I guess I will wait to see while I still use the USA Spec. I also have the ProClip so my iPhone or gen 5 iPod can just slip into a cradle and charge, play, etc. AND sill have access for phone. If it HAS to be in the glove box, that will cause another problem. Oh well................such is life............Those who want a very slick, professsional car dock for the iPhone/iPod be sure to check out ProClip

http://www.proclipusa.com/site/frame...0&pageid=14216

http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpa...oryid=&p_year=
Old 06-16-2009, 11:53 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by mickeykelley
If it will not support charging for the newer iPhone and iTouch, then it is a total waste as far as I am concerned. I have an US Spec and all I had to do was send it back to them for some quick whatever (got the exact same box back as I marked mine just to see if I did) plus different cable and it charges my iPhone3G and iPod Video. I would not even consider a change no matter how good the interface is unless it charges. Period. I guess I will wait to see while I still use the USA Spec. I also have the ProClip so my iPhone or gen 5 iPod can just slip into a cradle and charge, play, etc. AND sill have access for phone. If it HAS to be in the glove box, that will cause another problem. Oh well................such is life............Those who want a very slick, professsional car dock for the iPhone/iPod be sure to check out ProClip

http://www.proclipusa.com/site/frame...0&pageid=14216

http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpa...oryid=&p_year=
Even if it doesn't charge out of the box there is an inline adapter that will take care of the charging solution. The device is made by Scosche and it is called the Passport:

http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID...productID/1667

The problem stems from Apple's change from Firewire protocol to USB 2.0. Any device that worked to charge first gen iPod's won't work to charge fourth gen nano devices and iPhone's and iPod Touch. Inversely, any device that will work to charge the iPhone and such devices, won't work on the earlier units.

As an aside, I completely agree with you on the Proclip units. They make some of the best holders I've ever seen and I use their stuff in my daily driver. Just aweome and very well designed and manufactured.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:29 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
Even if it doesn't charge out of the box there is an inline adapter that will take care of the charging solution. The device is made by Scosche and it is called the Passport:

http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID...productID/1667

The problem stems from Apple's change from Firewire protocol to USB 2.0. Any device that worked to charge first gen iPod's won't work to charge fourth gen nano devices and iPhone's and iPod Touch. Inversely, any device that will work to charge the iPhone and such devices, won't work on the earlier units.

As an aside, I completely agree with you on the Proclip units. They make some of the best holders I've ever seen and I use their stuff in my daily driver. Just aweome and very well designed and manufactured.

Hi Paul,

I believe there is even a better solution for the new Ipod/Iphones than the Scosche adapter. Since I did my review on the aftermarket Ipod adapters:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-corvette.html

the aftermarket adapters had the same issue - the new Ipods/Iphones wouldn't charge. Two of the aftermarket adapters (USA Spec and Peripheral) came up with a solution that provided a new Ipod connection cable that would charge both the old and new Ipod/Iphones. But Scosche and P.I.E. did not come up with the cable solution, but rather offered the adapter you describe.

But the drawback to this adapter, in my opinion, is that, while it works, it creates a large and cumbersome connector that you plug into the Ipod/Iphone. As an alternative, Peripheral (or iSimple as it is also known) offers a new charging adapter cable that you connect onto the old cable and it extends the cable another four feet. You can then hide the cable connection and you end up with the same smaller Ipod/Iphone connector at the Ipod/Iphone itself.

This adapter cable, the iS710, does the same thing electronically as the Scosche adapter, but it is more convenient to use. Here are a couple of links to it:

http://isimplesolutions.com/CES/ReVolt.asp

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1337

While I don't know any of the details of the PAL device, I would think this charging adapter should work on it just as well as the aftermarket adapters. Actually, I'd be surprised if the PAL, supposedly being the newest technology on the market, didn't already provide a charging cable for the newest Ipod/Iphones. If the aftermarket suppliers already have the solution, you'd think it would be simple for the PAL designers as well.

The older Ipods, like my Generation 3 Ipod Nano, used a 12 volt charging system, while the new ones use 5 volts. These adapters are backwards compatible with all Ipods and Iphones. I cover some of these charging issues at the end of my updated review at:

http://www.kawal.net/ipod.htm

By the way, Paul, your tutorial on using the factory Nav system is sure good:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...rough-5-a.html

Ray

Last edited by kawal; 06-16-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:53 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by kawal
Hi Paul,

I believe there is even a better solution for the new Ipod/Iphones than the Scosche adapter. Since I did my review on the aftermarket Ipod adapters:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-corvette.html

the aftermarket adapters had the same issue - the new Ipods/Iphones wouldn't charge. Two of the aftermarket adapters (USA Spec and Peripheral) came up with a solution that provided a new Ipod connection cable that would charge both the old and new Ipod/Iphones. But Scosche and P.I.E. did not come up with the cable solution, but rather offered the adapter you describe.

But the drawback to this adapter, in my opinion, is that, while it works, it creates a large and cumbersome connector that you plug into the Ipod/Iphone. As an alternative, Peripheral (or iSimple as it is also known) offers a new charging adapter cable that you connect onto the old cable and it extends the cable another four feet. You can then hide the cable connection and you end up with the same smaller Ipod/Iphone connector at the Ipod/Iphone itself.

This adapter cable, the iS710, does the same thing electronically as the Scosche adapter, but it is more convenient to use. Here are a couple of links to it:

http://isimplesolutions.com/CES/ReVolt.asp

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1337

While I don't know any of the details of the PAL device, I would think this charging adapter should work on it just as well as the aftermarket adapters. Actually, I'd be surprised if the PAL, supposedly being the newest technology on the market, didn't already provide a charging cable for the newest Ipod/Iphones. If the aftermarket suppliers already have the solution, you'd think it would be simple for the PAL designers as well.

The older Ipods, like my Generation 3 Ipod Nano, used a 12 volt charging system, while the new ones use 5 volts. These adapters are backwards compatible with all Ipods and Iphones. I cover some of these charging issues at the end of my updated review at:

http://www.kawal.net/ipod.htm

By the way, Paul, your tutorial on using the factory Nav system is sure good:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...rough-5-a.html

Ray
Greetings Ray,

Thanks for the note. I really appreciate the thoughts on the navigation tutorial, that means a lot to me coming from you. Look for an email on this from me....

Unfortunately the timing of the PAL and the abrupt change by Apple on the charging protocol left the option to adapt the new protocol out and such, it is stuck in the old charging system and will not charge the iPhone, iPod Touch or the Gen 4 units. I'll look in to the cable solution that you provided. I can't see any reason why that wouldn't work. It's nice to have options. I agree that the Scosche is a little larger than probably desirable. I do know the Scosche solution works as I use their dock adapter with my sound dock in my office as I have a first generation dock with my iPhone 3G.

Paul
Old 06-16-2009, 01:11 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Greetings Ray,

Thanks for the note. I really appreciate the thoughts on the navigation tutorial, that means a lot to me coming from you. Look for an email on this from me....

Unfortunately the timing of the PAL and the abrupt change by Apple on the charging protocol left the option to adapt the new protocol out and such, it is stuck in the old charging system and will not charge the iPhone, iPod Touch or the Gen 4 units. I'll look in to the cable solution that you provided. I can't see any reason why that wouldn't work. It's nice to have options. I agree that the Scosche is a little larger than probably desirable. I do know the Scosche solution works as I use their dock adapter with my sound dock in my office as I have a first generation dock with my iPhone 3G.

Paul
Just as another alternative, Paul, iSimple also has the
"Revolt Mini", or iS712, which is essentially the same charging adapter as the Scosche:

http://isimplesolutions.com/CES/ReVoltMini.asp

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1351

P.I.E. also has one, but Jay at Discount Car Stereo advised of some issues with it. It would be interesting to know if the same company makes all of these adapters - probably not, but they all sure look similar. I would think any of them, including the extension adapter cable (iS710) would work on the PAL.

Regarding your excellent navigation tutorial, I plan to add a post to your thread, but I haven't yet had a chance to get through all of it. You have so much good information in there, but I only found out about it just before my wife and I left on a three week road trip to Utah. We just got back and so I'm still trying to catch up. I do plan on thoroughly reading everything in your tutorial, because even though I thought I was familiar with the Nav unit, I've already learned more details from your report.

Ray
Old 06-16-2009, 01:18 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Ray,

Thanks for the ReVolt link, I've been looking to scoop up one of those for my iPhone when I use it instead of my iPod Classic with my PXAMG.

I too think this adapter will work fine with PAL.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:01 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,051 Posts

One small clarification here - as I think this is what Talon was saying, but maybe in case it wasn't clear. The very first ipods only connected through a firewire port. Then they moved to the firewire or usb 30 pin port. The older ipods with the 30 pin connector could charge over either firewire or USB - the newer ones only with USB. Most manufactures of connector cables and docks used the firewire pins to charge, and those devices won't charge the newer ipods. Any device that used the USB will work for both all ipods except the very first ones that don't have the 30 pin connector. I have an old dock that works with my 4 year old ipod classic and my new touch. Any device that is made for the newer generations over USB should still work with all the older devices except for the very first ones. I think USB charging became an option around 2004, and mandatory with the iphones.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:26 AM
mickeykelley
Burning Brakes

As I said on my USA Spec, they had me change out the cable and then it would charge the iPhone3G BUT they said it would not charge it as fast as the new standard (what every that meant) but I could send the unit back & they would do something for free that would bring it up to current speed charging. I am not sure what all that means, but I can tell you for a fact that the original USA Spec unit would not charge my iPhone3g, then I got their replacement cable and it did charge. Even though I did not really understand the fast charging issue, I went ahead and set all 3 of my units back for the free update to the box. Right now I can charge, play, etc. my iPod Video,iPhone3g and my wife's Nano (original version).
Old 06-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

I have been keeping an eye on it and I will certainly stock up and help out all of the forum members I can.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 06-17-2009, 10:49 PM
mikez51c6
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11

Geeez i think its time to give it up ppl
Old 06-18-2009, 12:57 AM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can add me to the list as well, if and when it comes out.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

I will take care of all
Old 06-19-2009, 09:46 PM
Fonzijr1964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any news gene????

Quick Reply: Update On PAL!